Pamela Gluten Free

I was shopping at whole foods and came across Pamela's gluten free pancake mix. I'm wondering anyone ever try this? If so do you think it Bp or a decent product to use if you want to cheat and avoid gluten. So far I have been 2 months gluten free. Feel great and trying to stay gluten free.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Here are the Ingredients according to their website.
    <h6> Brown Rice Flour, White Rice Flour, Cultured Buttermilk, Natural Almond Meal (may appear as brown flecks), Tapioca Starch, Sweet Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Grainless & Aluminum Free Baking Powder (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Potato Starch), Baking Soda, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum.</h6>

I'd say not BP, based on what I have read and heard lurking here. Brown Rice is not BP. Cultured Buttermilk, not sure but I don't think fermented milk is BP and don't think it comes from grass-fed cows either. Almonds can have mycotoxins depending on how they were processed. Potato contains lectin. Unsure about Xanthan Gum.

I'm new here so better to confirm yourself.
  • edited August 2013

No, not really bulletproof. Your best bet for BP pancakes would be getting a recipe and sourcing the ingredients yourself. Even than, maybe not.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/podcast-transcript-7-low-carb-diets-with-adam-kosloff/17/

Where it starts "Co-host: The next question is from Andrew..." in Dave's response he talks about pancakes and how BP they can be.

If that is not satisfying enough for you than check out the comments on the main page: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/podcast-7-low-carb-diets-with-adam-kosloff/

There are some recipes for pancakes there.

• edited January 2013
    I have been making Buttermilk pancakes from scratch for my family every Sunday for years now. It's become a tradition and recently I have tried swapping out the ingredients to make it both wheat free and more bulletproof. But I now have a feeling they are causing me more problems than I had thought.

Basically I tried to replace wheat flour with rice flour, eggs with just egg whites, sugar replaced with Stevia and I also add some coconut oil for flavor (coconut pancakes taste great). The kids and my wife have barely noticed the difference in them and they actually turn out to be more fluffy than the regular ones. They do not last very long though and can get very hard if you don't eat them right away. The wheat pancakes would last for at least a couple days after I cooked them and could be re-heated quite easily. Not the same with this modified version and I suppose these are still in the yellow zone as Dave says (linked above).

I’ve worked for years on the proper pancake recipe and you can do it with egg whites. Cooking egg yolks isn’t a good idea because you get oxidized cholesterol but every time I’ve made pancakes, I’m ending up with a food that’s a yellow on the bulletproof diet. It’s not a green and it’s not a red, so yes you can make pancakes. I recommend egg whites and some fat, and some coconut flour, but it’s not going to be an anti-inflammatory meal.

I was also using this as my recarb day but I am noticing that it affects me well into Monday and even Tuesday of the next week (I gain weight and feel sluggish). I have since decided to avoid these and try another carb and see how I get on. I will still make pancakes for my family and I can still eat the eggs and bacon that go with them.

I may actually try to use a recipe (for myself only) shared by Chelsea Maier (linked above) that looks interesting:

Re: pancakes

_mash ripe banana

_mix with 2 eggs and _1 tbspn flax

heat coconut oil in frying pan

_fry till brown on both sides.