Working Out Too Hard -> Crash

DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Hello,

Sometimes when I train really hard i crash. I feel like i am gonna have to lie down and wait until i die. happens sometimes and not always. What is it? How do I avoid it? Is there a scientific Term in can Google search? Is it blood sugar crash?

ATM i am laying in bed drinking coconut water until the feeling goes away relatively quickly...

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

You feel dizzy or lightheaded? My first thought would be you didn't properly hydrate pre/during/post workout and didn't have enough carbs.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

There's lots of types and causes of crashes. I could say I crash every morning while training, falling to the floor exhausted, before recovering. I could also say I crash every afternoon when I struggle to get out of my chair and just want to sleep. I think we need a lot more info to be more useful.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    Ok no Problem. What Info You Need?

I drank lemon water and Salt before Bbs Training today. Plus creatine, glutamin and i drank Ginger water between Sets... Pushing myself to new Limits every week... Often i do few more specific Sets for my Needs but for example today i really felt like if i do One mor Lift i have to vomit or i will fade out... It's Not the First Time i have it.

Sorry for the weird spelling. Sending from iPhone with German autocomplete...

Let me know what Else You Need.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• I second the carbs. I'm not an expert, however I have pushed myself to the breaking point on very low carb, HIIT training 6 days a week combine with BPIF it was destructive. I never did a refeed. Bro do you even refeed? (rhetorical).

Def up your carbs if you're gonna push yourself to new limits.

I tried that before i actually do Not like that. I have all my carbs After workout. I had Proband more than 200g After Training but i tried to Play Arround with carbs before and After and what Not and i also Talked to Jason. I think Some d ribose in my lemon water worked well... A Big meal with lots of carbs Makes me tired and Doesnt work either. I really dont know how much is optimal...

How much to eat:

• I felt dizzy during workouts when I would do 1 work out a week BBS style.

Try working out like three times at less intenstity. And progress steadily. I get better results doing this and no more being dizzy. Maybe it will for you.

Yea, I get what you mean langdj. I probably reached a state where it becomes easy to overstrain. However I would like to know what exactly happens.

One thin is probably hypoglycemia when blood sugar drops and therefore blood pressure drops as well...right?

The other thing is what Doug MC Guff calls "metabolic shock" in one of his videos (The Big Five pt1 I believe). That happens when you do the upper body movements and then leg press and you feel dizzy. I got that sometimes but when I google it I don't find anything that describes what happens during the metabolic shock...or not even an article that uses the term metabolic shock. You know what that does?

Another thing I was thinking about was that it might be the switch from glucose to ketones for energy... I especially like thinking that when I do HIIT bike riding when something similar happens. I feel good in beginning and have power to invest, then my heart beat gets faster and I start sweating, then I start feeling exhausted, then I start feeling dizzy, then I push on (with some less power and some longer breaks) and then I start feeling better again, at this point I might not have that much power like in the beginning but I feel kind of good, and my heart beat is not as fast as in the beginning and I feel like I can go on for a lot longer but with a little less overall power. I have had that experience my entire life when I do jogging or anything. I start out then I start feeling like I am going to die then I feel good again and as if I could go on for as long as I want...

I started BBS because I did not want to train that often anymore. I'm not a bodybuilder you know. I want to spend time into other things... so I'd rather try and understand why that happens and how to avoid it. I will try and add carbs this weekend to my iso drink and see what happens.

How much to eat:

• I guess you are liftning weights since you mention sets. What lifts make you dizzy? Some lifts can cause blood pressuer drops beteende sets. It partly depends on how you breath during the lift

I think you should start to messure what you can during workout. Bloodpressure, heart rate, bloodglucose (ketones if on ketogenic diet). If you hyperventilate when you are not training, will that give the same feeling? These test will give a first clue on the root cause of it.

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

I think it's not a particular lift... I changed my BBS routine and it usually happens towards the end... I do an at home workout and with increasing weights I had to find better solutions. It always happens towards the end.

Thanks for that advice. Never tried hyperventilating and see what happens.

I was pülanning to by a glucometer that measures ketones anyways so any recommendations?

Cheers

How much to eat:

• edited March 2015

There's lots of types and causes of crashes. I could say I crash every morning while training, falling to the floor exhausted, before recovering. I could also say I crash every afternoon when I struggle to get out of my chair and just want to sleep. I think we need a lot more info to be more useful.

Hhaha so true, the post training crash is the best.  This gave me a good laugh :mrgreen:

carbs, it was when I got sick of feeling like I was going to die everyday that I found out the key to ultimate performance and recovery is the magical carb.

I learned this the hard way too.

3nergy & Matter

I love music

I am not a big friend of carbs. It seems in needed a few more carbs pre workout. Like 50g after my week in keto.

However for example if I have a plate of Rice noodles I feel tired. And now after carb refeeds this week it takes 3 days to get back into ketosis even with fasting and brain octane....last week it worked much quicker. not sure yet why that is... 

How much to eat:

• That is the interesting thing about the human biochemistry. Not only are you unique, but you are unique in this moment. Shit changes as life goes on. 

• I always feel like a hulk in the gym if I take 25 grams of dextrose and 25 grams of whey 30 mins pre workout. There is a noticeable difference on the days I skip the dextrose before workout. Post workout I double the mix or eat a good size meal without much fat around the 4 hr workout window.

• Your experience is not unique, it works and is the recommendation for performance, if 1-2hrs pre you can use slower carbs.

Jason, what do you think about Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin as a pre-workout carb source for performance? Do you think the added benefits, supposedly there is no insulin spike and it provides sustained energy, are worth the extra price? I feel once my cut is done I will be using pre-workout carbs again but i'm not sure if it's worth the extra $10 or so over dextrose.

Thanks.

• Forget the ketosis stuff and consider your health first. Have you seen a doctor and had your bloodwork done?

A crash or bonking indicates your blood glucose levels are exhausted and your body is not converting fat to energy to make up the difference quickly enough.  Unless your body is truly trained to do this and you're training at 'fat burning' levels--see Phil Maffetone's outstanding writings on this subject--something else could be going on.

BTW, try to find what McGuff calls "metabolic shock" as a legitimate issue.  I've done an extremely heavy set of incline DB bench presses (for me) and been light headed afterwards.  That isn't metabolic shock...it is blood pressure due to the strain of the weights.  Coronary occlusion does all kinds of things to the body.

It could also be something more serious...if you're having these problems on a consistent basis, you might want to consider revisiting your diet objectively and measure your results against your carb/protein/fat macros, or, see a doctor.