Hacking Sore Tendons (Wrists)

Over the past 9 weeks I've been having some wrist problems, started with slight discomfort then progressed to serious pain. Now I have got the point where I can workout again but the occasionally get sore.

Is there a biohack / topical / supplement regiment that helps the recovery or use of tight / overworked tendons? 

Here is what I've tried to help and has helped somewhat:

1) Rest (3 weeks of no use, 6 weeks of light to moderate use)

2) Light Wrist Stretches

3) Massage / Chiropracter <<<--- This produced the biggest contribution in alleviating my pain 

4) Light / Moderate Grip Trainer Routine prior to working out / yoga <<<--- Notice less discomfort doing a wrist intensive activity, if I do this

Everyone I've consulted (doctor's included) just say rest, but I know there has to be a way to "hack" or speed recovery. 

Willing to try almost anything.

Tagged:

Comments

• Do any passive hanging? See if you can get in 7 minutes of hanging throughout your day, a la Ido portal's hanging challenge.

Anything antiinflammatory may help, ginger, turmeric, BP diet, etc. Zhen gu shui can alleviate pain if it gets real bad.

I used to have wrist problems from capoeira...eventually they just kind of went away. I think sometimes the body just takes a while to adapt.
  • My sister had to quit her job at a software company because of excruciating RSI. She recovered by taking on a macrobiotic diet. Other people with chronic, seemingly incurable diseases healed as well on this diet. I'm beginning to understand why. Macrobiotic is very low in proteins and fat. They eat mainly brown rice and vegetables. The rice is probably poor in lectins, because preparing involves soaking overnight and simmering for hours. Such a diet promotes apoptosis and restores a healthy gut. It will also fix a too low metabolic rate, because it is not calory-restricted. I think you would benefit of the Detoxification Protocol, basically glutathion, bp coffee and bp tea interspersed with plenty of activated charcoal. Getting rid of damaged cells by promoting apoptosis, anti-inflammatory nutrition, fixing a slowed down metabolism (not likely in sporters, but you can't be sure until you test it by taking your morning temp, should be around 98 F), healing your gut. Perhaps collagene can help too, as that is what tendons are made of.
  • As to the macrobiotic, I once decided that I would only take it up, if I was really, really sick and had no alternatives. Any diet should be palatible, otherwise it's a sure failure for me.
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭

My wrists used to hurt a lot then they got much stronger with some intense wrist stretching. A guy who I train with showed me that type of pushup which is a normal pushup but puts more pressure on your wrists, I don't know what it's called but initially I couldn't even hold myself in that position because it hurt my wrists so much, it took about two months practice to be able to do actual pushups, and after a few more months I can do anything with my wrists now. 

Basically a normal pushup but your hands inside, fingers pointing towards each other, palms facing up, lots of pressure on your wrists. It strenghtens them tremendously.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015

Basically a normal pushup but your hands inside, fingers pointing towards each other, palms facing up, lots of pressure on your wrists. It strenghtens them tremendously.

push ups with 'palms facing up'....ok, i initially thought you were kidding on this one. then i did a google image for 'wrist push up', that is hardcore (or psycho).

but on the same theme, knuckle push ups could help, & they are easier (imo) than wrist push ups (with upward palms).

fake it till you make it

• langdjlangdj
    edited March 2015

I am excited to answer this question. My wrists hurt for almost 15 years due to sports injuries. I started doing the wrist exercises in this video

http://intu-flow.com/

I was just doing the video as a movement routine. I was shocked at the results.

Basically it is figure eight motions with your wrists in vertical and horizontal motion in both directions while you have a closed fist. Then the same motions again with the fingers open and moving each finger. A total of 8 movements for the wrist.

This program is similar type movements for each body part. I did this for about three months every day and then.........bammmmm. Now I am back to lifting weights. Now I do it a couple times a week. Usually before a workout. Great way to warm up the joints.

I also did some energy work with ttjoh.com

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

push ups with 'palms facing up'....ok, i initially thought you were kidding on this one. then i did a google image for 'wrist push up', that is hardcore (or psycho).

but on the same theme, knuckle push ups could help, & they are easier (imo) than wrist push ups (with upward palms).

Haha, yeah, that's the one, the wrist pushup.

http://fatteardown.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/wrist-push.jpg

And it has an even harder variation that I still cannot to to this very day, but working on it. Palms facing up, but fingers point outside, away from each other.

Imagine this but with the hands turning outside.

https://i1.ytimg.com/vi/-pR_n2GSCNI/hqdefault.jpg

The guy who showed it to me does it like if it's nothing. 

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
  • I have a possible fix for you, as it worked for me: Stop doing incline bench press if you are doing them.  I was icing my wrists, stretching them out, going to RMT's none of it helped for long.  I found the cause was simply incline bench press.

• Thanks for the great advice everyone!!!

Common theme seems to be:

a) building wrist strength to help them endure daily activity

b) the RIGHT stretch to remedy the problem that is causing the pain

going start trying different stretches you all mentioned (Trail & Error) and report back with the one that help my unique case.

• I have a possible fix for you, as it worked for me: Stop doing incline bench press if you are doing them.  I was icing my wrists, stretching them out, going to RMT's none of it helped for long.  I found the cause was simply incline bench press.

I just bought this guy. The reviews look great (from Amazon) perhaps this can get you back to Incline.

http://www.howmuchyabench.net/