Hair Loss

My hair is starting to thin. I purchased propecia and have been trying it for about 5 days now. I've read about the side effects and I do feel brain fog etc, but don't know if just coincidence maybe I'm just out of it last few days or if direct correlation. Curious if anyone has tried it and if anyone knows of natural ways to help hairless or am I just screwed? Thanks

Comments

• Propecia can take up to three months to produce a noticeable effect. If you are legitimately experiencing brain fog, there are many things you can do to improve brain function as mentioned on this site. I will tell you that based on my experience, it does help but propecia alone will not solve your hair loss problem. You need to alter your diet in such a way that is beneficial in preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth. You can use natural herbal remedies like saw palmetto and nettle root which can achieve a similar effect to propecia but perhaps on a lesser scale. I do recall reading a recent study that suggested Keenum black tea inhibits DHT by a comparable percentage too. It is widely accepted that increased DHT levels play a role in hair loss, but I think there is a growing theory that high estrogen levels play a factor too.

I did address my experience with hair loss in a different thread on this forum:

http://forum.bulletp...__fromsearch__1
  • I have no experience with propecia, but my mom was prescribed Latisse for her eyelashes during her bout with cancer. The product worked very well and she asked her doctor if this was safe to use on the scalp. He said the active ingredient (Bimatoprost) is in clinical trials right now for a hair loss treatment, but a lot of men and women have bought Latisse to dab on their hairline. The downside is that at the moment its pretty expensive ( $100 for a month supply) but there are some generic versions of this product for way less. Just thought it would be a good product for you to lookout for, good luck!
  • Bald men are hot. Let it go and own it. Don't try to Donald Trump it using the sides and the back or try to cover it up, get your clippers out and take it off. When my husband (then boyfriend) first started losing his hair, I was sad for him because his hair seemed like such a giant part of his person. But it wasn't a part of his identity, and I love his shaven head.
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful
    Bruce Willis vs The Edge (U2 guitarist). One of them is one of the most well known actors of our time, the other is a member of one of the most well known bands of our time.

Both of them are bald as. One of them rocks it, the other is never seen in public without a hat. Go with ciaobella, mate. SHAVE IT AND THEN OWN IT!!

No sorcery, just science. 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    My policy is all or nothing! Since nature decided that I should only have some hair, not all, I've decided then it must be NONE. Go shave! I go clean shaven twice a week!
  • Research in this area has largely established that hair loss has multiple factors. A singular treatment that addresses only one factor (such as Propecia) probably doesn't make much sense.

Address the problem from as many angles as possible. A number of available compounds counter hair loss in some way.

A number of treatment advances have emerged from bio-tech for which their developers have obtained patents. Patent information resides in the public domain. A savvy bio-hacker can get access to patented compounds years ahead of their commercial release. In many cases patents get granted for combinations of compounds that one can readily obtain.

Some of these will have a scientifically well founded explanations of their action.

Stopping androgen related hair loss and regrowth no longer requires Propecia and/or Rogaine.

Hair loss in younger men occurs primarily as a function of male hormones (androgens). The role of androgens goes beyond DHT. Other hormonal variables include: androstendione, prolactin and estrogen metabolites that when not addressed could account for the temporary and partial effectiveness of Propecia or Avodart and their side effects when used as a sole treatment.

All very interesting but inflammation may have well have a larger role than anything else in this.

Besides a BP diet and lifestyle some things to look at include:
    • Emu oil
    • Resveratrol
    • Curcumin
    • Theaflavin
    • L-Taurine
    • Green tea
    • Zinc
    • Grape seed extract
    • Tocotrienols
    • Saw palmeto

High estrogen levels and low free testosterone can also affect this adversely.
    What about calcium-d-glucarate? This can help to clean out excess estrogen.
  • @thatstevenbaker -- Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't seen Dave's post on his site about it. Great idea.
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    I start looking like a thug with my head shaved, I need HAIR, though I believe that my high levels of ferritin did speed up what ever was going on by like 80% for the past 2 years! FML

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• What about calcium-d-glucarate? This can help to clean out excess estrogen.

I second that! And also, something as simple as taking enough calcium either through meals or supplements should not be underestimated.

• calcium-d-glucarate ? its a really good idea..i have also face the hair loss problem..thanks

• Try using olive oil on your hair.  You need to rub on the scalp.  Also changing your diet will help, increase fruits and vegetable consumption.  When I did that my hair started growing back.

• Honestly man, I am 19 and am already losing my hair. You can fight it and postone it all you want, but its inevitable, the hair will fall out. Thats years of stress and low self esteem caused by trying to postone a natural genetic issue. Just become comfortable that you are losing your hair and understand that your still a stud no matter what. Don't worry about how women see you, because I am sure you are an amazing individual, and if a woman looks past that because your hair is thinning a bit, she isnt worth it, and their are plenty of good women out their that wont mind at all :)

Also, not worrying about it is actually one of the healthiest things you can do to prevent hair loss, since hair loss is corelated to stress. I however, am out of luck, I am gentically predispotioned to lose my hair, so why worry about it, right?

That's just my two cents, but im sure their are plenty of great bio-hacks from laser combs, to micro-pinningThymosin Beta 4 into your scalp, to rogain, propecia... and even hair club for men/bosley. Hair club for men/bosley hair systems are not realsitic though. They are EXPENSIVE, because they charge by the hair, it doesnt prevent further hair loss on untransplanted hair, so if you lose hair after you get it you will end up looky goofy, and if you get it and ver decide to shave your hair, your scalp will probably be covered in scars.

Never Stop Moving: Progress in some aspect of your life everyday, move forward in it, whether it be your job, school, body, mind, or relationships. Constantly better yourself!

• RodRod The Rodfather

Honestly man, I am 19 and am already losing my hair. You can fight it and postone it all you want, but its inevitable, the hair will fall out. Thats years of stress and low self esteem caused by trying to postone a natural genetic issue. Just become comfortable that you are losing your hair and understand that your still a stud no matter what. Don't worry about how women see you, because I am sure you are an amazing individual, and if a woman looks past that because your hair is thinning a bit, she isnt worth it, and their are plenty of good women out their that wont mind at all :)

Also, not worrying about it is actually one of the healthiest things you can do to prevent hair loss, since hair loss is corelated to stress. I however, am out of luck, I am gentically predispotioned to lose my hair, so why worry about it, right?

That's just my two cents, but im sure their are plenty of great bio-hacks from laser combs, to micro-pinningThymosin Beta 4 into your scalp, to rogain, propecia... and even hair club for men/bosley. Hair club for men/bosley hair systems are not realsitic though. They are EXPENSIVE, because they charge by the hair, it doesnt prevent further hair loss on untransplanted hair, so if you lose hair after you get it you will end up looky goofy, and if you get it and ver decide to shave your hair, your scalp will probably be covered in scars.

You can change your gene expression but the first thing I would do is get your hormones balanced. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

It was mentioned in another thread but worth repeating: check out Danny Roddy's Hair Like a Fox diet. He regrew his hair! Apparently. I plan on getting the ebook but its $47. It will have to wait a little while. The diet and story is similar to Dave's, in that he had a biological problem and through thorough research and self-testing, created a diet that achieved the result he wanted. Dave should bring him on the podcast.