What Are You Really Into, And Knowledgeable About, Outside Of Health?

For me, it's football and baseball, both college and professional. I probably know as much about those sports as Brisson does about GI issues or Miller does about crossfit. 

But I envy and respect the hell out of those who know a lot about health on this forum. 

Comments

• MMA

NHL, MLB, NFL

Internet "acquisitions"

Great thread idea Zeke!

• I like to dabble in anything that seems interesting and then learn quite a bit. Most recently I went down the path of square foot gardening. If I had a patio that allowed it I would own one of these to grow my own veggies: http://www.gardentowerproject.com/

The whole gardening thing led me into a composting and vermicomposting hobby that lasted a few years. Downsizing and moving to a much smaller place in a different city meant passing along all of my equipment to friends who had the outdoor space. The easiest and most efficient unit was this: http://www.theworminn.com/

• edited March 2015

I'm around artists, musicians, and authors a lot... but mostly I'm just a pot and science fiction guy outside of alternative health experiences. I huge chunk of how I've lived has revolved completely around finding ways to outlive Crohn's disease, including the herb stuff.

so this biohacking territory is actually my main channel. most conversations I have with people are about health.

oh yeah: been learning linux recently.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    Haven't got a musical bone in my body, but I love listening to music. A lot of my favorite bands are Japanese, which stems from a years-long fascination with Japanese language. I studied Japanese and linguistics in school and once wished to earn a doctorate in Applied Linguistics. Guess I wanted to be a sexy Noam Chomsky or something. I love movies, too. Especially horror movies. I've probably watched hundreds or thousands over the years. Reading and writing are other pastimes I enjoy. I'll read anything, but I'm a sucker for weird fiction and horror ala Lovecraft. The diet and nutrition stuff is certainly a passion, but mostly because it helps me to enhance my enjoyment of those other things.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Does sleeping count? :P

I used to be very good at music, and played a lot during high school, every day for hours, piano and organ, and taught myself how to play guitar, but that was a long time ago. Now I'm only on the listening level, and scared about forgetting more and more. :(

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Gardening/permaculture, but especially forestry. I probably know more about the California ecosystem than anyone without a degree. I'm also a self-taught musician, and everything was so intuitive to me, learning music theory was like not learning anything at all. Only putting words to the concepts. I don't even like playing anymore, because instruments feel so limited to me. The best stuff comes from my "mind's ear", and my memory can't even keep up. I was lucky enough to receive this sweet-ass gift, yet all for nothing so far!. Makes me wish I had the time and patience to learn something like FL studio. Even then, my ideas come and go too fast. It's quite aggravating.

• Biologist

Glass artist

Shaman
  • edited March 2015

Listening to music ;)

It has little downsides and many positives for me

3nergy & Matter

I love music

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Shaman

wut

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Video games and wrasstlin.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Large/small mouth bass fishing and Terence McKenna

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Haven't got a musical bone in my body, but I love listening to music. A lot of my favorite bands are Japanese, which stems from a years-long fascination with Japanese language. I studied Japanese and linguistics in school and once wished to earn a doctorate in Applied Linguistics. Guess I wanted to be a sexy Noam Chomsky or something. I love movies, too. Especially horror movies. I've probably watched hundreds or thousands over the years. Reading and writing are other pastimes I enjoy. I'll read anything, but I'm a sucker for weird fiction and horror ala Lovecraft. The diet and nutrition stuff is certainly a passion, but mostly because it helps me to enhance my enjoyment of those other things.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lemurbouy

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• edited March 2015

I want to understand how everything works.  From the smallest to the largest.  I am facinated by how much we, as a species, are learning now, and I also respect ancient knowledge and thought.

My largest time burning hobby outside of the above and my way of making a living would have to be fantasy football. I travel to Vegas each year to play their high stakes games, and my interest in DFS (Daily Fantasy Sports) is growing.  I also bet on the games, and keep up on baseball. (MLB)  I want to return to adding college football to my arsenal, as it has been a while since I followed it, but I do research the rookie class thouroughly each offseason.

Also a growing interst in film making.  I'm planning to learn something as simple as what it takes to make a good youtube video with edited motion picture and music and words.  The crude stuff like slide shows with music I enjoyed, and want to move up to motion video.

An example of combining the two, for fun. Here is what I have managed with a very crude understanding of the software (Studio 9) that I must re-learn each year due to the rust of that being the only time I do this.  I take the official team names (which vary from year-to-year) from the home league I run, and once everyone is confirmed, I draw the draft order and create a video "surprise" showing everyone in my league where they will be drafting that year.  I need to make this in like 3 days total, or the natives get restless...but would like to see where taking my time and creating something much more important or motivational or educational will take this.  It is fullfilling when you are done and get decent feedback from leaguemates. :smile:

Seeing through the chaotic.