Kerrygold And 100% Grass Fed

It's been known for a while now that Kerrygold isn't exactly 100% grass fed as the cows eat grain in the Winter.

I have been making coffee with Kerrygold Unsalted, Brain Octane Oil, Bulletproof Collagen, and 100% grass fed cow's milk. (I just can't drink my coffee without milk. I do realize that this is not the "correct" way to make Bulletproof Coffee.)

I am fortunate (for now at least) to live next to one store that carries Organic Valley Grassmilk, which is a 100% guaranteed grass fed non homogenized cow's milk.

From their FAQ:

Like any lactating mammal, humans included, a cow's nutritional and energy needs greatly increase when she produces milk. Grassmilk cows are provided with the highest quality organic fresh pasture grasses and legumes (such as alfalfa and clover) in summer, dried grasses and legumes in the winter, and supplements in the form of minerals, vitamins, and molasses year-round. Molasses is produced by crushing the leaves of cane grass.

(Bolding added.)

So that begs the question, why can't Kerrygold use dried grasses instead of grains in the winter, given that there is now a significant market for 100% grass fed dairy?

Comments

• Yep, I read both of those articles already. Thanks for the links anyway. My question still stands.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

So that begs the question, why can't Kerrygold use dried grasses instead of grains in the winter, given that there is now a significant market for 100% grass fed dairy?

Economics. They probably get most of the Grass-fed butter market already.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• The answer lies in the faq section, be sure to read thoroughly.

Unless you are really sensitive to dairy, there seems to be no need to put forth the effort to find 100% grass-fed butter. That said, Dave's qualm is that Kerrygold uses GMOs. I'll be looking out for local butter when the farmer's market is in season.

• So reading their FAQ it says that

Even during the winter, when grasses stop growing, Irish cows are fed dried grass (known as silage)

they further add that

After calving, cows are provided with supplementary feed to help restore protein and nurture them through this period.

The majority of our cows’ supplementary feed is locally grown crops such as wheat and barley. As a small island, Ireland does not have enough land available to grow certain crops locally; therefore a number of crops are imported

Finally on the subject of GM they offer this.

We can confirm that Kerrygold butter and cheese do not contain GM ingredients.
  • I read this article: http://hopecentric.com/why-i-stopped-buying-kerrygold-butter/

It claims Kerrygold is not 100% grassfeed anymore, even having trace of soy and GM? What do you think about this?

•  

Finally on the subject of GM they offer this.

We can confirm that Kerrygold butter and cheese do not contain GM ingredients.

Technically that statement wouldn't apply to what the cows eat... just that they don't add any GMO products.

Rob