A Look Inside Dave Asprey's Fridge

2»

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Anyone else hack your appliance efficiency?  

I live in an apartment (and a shitty one, at that), so I'm pretty limited in my options for optimizing appliances. If you've got some tips to share, I'm all ears, though! Will be useful for me if I ever manage to buy a home.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

Chest freezer conversions are the easiest and most cost-effective, but they require a bit more maintenance on a regular basis than a normal fridge. They also have a larger horizontal footprint. Roughly 1/10th the power consumption of a standard fridge, and 1/4th the cost! (or even less $ via Craigslist!)

(Though obviously if you have the money to spend you can find extremely efficient upright refrigeration units, or my personal favorite the under-counter drawer units!)

I'll be doing my 2nd freezer conversion in the coming months, I'll have to remember to document the process and put up a post with a step-by-step. Also have to design a temperature mapping protocol since I want to use the single unit to keep different foods at different temperatures (and only use the inexpensive temperature controller I already have if possible!) so this will be an adventure! Hopefully I can be the test pilot and streamline the process for the next efficiency-hound to come along!

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    Yeah, totally do a walkthrough of some kind!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

Dave! Why are the labels of all your condiments turned away from us?! 

• edited March 2015

In GER the unsalted Kerrygold is wrapped in gold and the salted in silver...

I looked on the Kerrygold website and here in the UK they definitely do it unsalted as silver and salted as gold. The unsalted butter is limited to three different super market chains here in the UK as well but salted is available everywhere.

** Edited to add the UK.. I knew what I wanted to type, brain went further than my slow fingers did :o

• The gold label butter is organic Meadow butter sold in canada. The little green circle on it says pastured and is only shown during the grazing season.
  • ^ whoa nice tip! I was happy to see the same butter I sometimes pick up at Superstore :) These days I'm most excited about Liberty brand... it's very yellow.