Bulletproof WAPF eating?

I found Bulletproof executive a few weeks ago. I have been on the diet for a week and am trying to catch up on the podcasts. I found a local coffee roaster who has the right kind of beans. I have been dealing with killer headaches this whole time. They just started to let up yesterday. I know about L-Glutamine but I didn't know it could alleviate this detox/carb crash. It's weird because I was eating pretty low carb before starting this. The good thing before starting bulletproof, I had already rid our pantry of industrial oils, etc. I am buying a lot of Kellygold butter. My dairy co-op has butter at US$14 /lb!

I posted this question as a comment on one of the posts.

There are 5 people in my family: 2 adults and 3 kids, ages 11, 8, and 6. I started eating more organic and pastured about 2 years ago. My biggest influence in the Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF) and the cookbook, Nourishing Traditions. This is a huge commitment of time and money to eat this way. In order to afford it, I buy the cheaper cuts: hamburger, stew meat, roasts and organ meat (much to my family's dismay). Steak is for special occasions, with the cheapest cut around $7/lb. My kids INHALE steak! Any other cut usually requires braising or other slow cooking. Some of these cheaper cuts, like round steak, can be made into jerky with a dehydrator. If I bought a side of beef (my goal), I would have to eat these cuts. It can't all be made into ground beef. It is more respectful to the animal to use the whole thing. The Bulletproof diet cooking methods are to keep the meat as raw as possible. Is there a place for cooking foods low and slow?

Another way to stretch the food dollars and increase nutrition is bone broth. Bone broth is a very traditional food, according to Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. It digests easily and holds a lot of minerals, collagen and gelatin. It cooks in 24-48 hours in the crockpot on the lowest setting. We still eat chicken and pork. Unless I buy a side of beef, the bones have to be purchased separately. As with pork and chicken bones, I save them from other meals until I have enough for broth. Could bone broth be part of a successful bulletproof diet?

As for the nuts, because they are seeds, they are said to contain enzyme inhibitors and other anti-nutrients. The recommendations are to soak the nuts in salted water overnight and to dry them in a dehydrator or slow oven. This leeches out the anti-nutrients and makes them more digestible. They are very delicious this way. The bitterness in walnuts is completely gone and they are buttery. Is anyone familiar with this? Would this still be considered "raw" nuts? I think they keep me from losing weight, so I go easy on them anyway.

I am having trouble getting 20% of my calories from vegetables. I am averaging 70% of calories from fat. I am eating about 5-6 servings of vegetables if I have a salad for lunch and steamed veggies with dinner. I'm very happy with the eggs and butter.

Comments

• I agree with you on the grass-fed beef budgeting. I have a family of 4 at the same age as yours. They are starting to eat everything in site. I have to get the cheaper cuts and mostly hamburger. Round roasts have become one of our favorite cuts, if cooked right. I finding that I have to cook it a little longer and keep it more rare for it to come out right. My last one I over-cooked and it was a little dry and tough.

Tip: My wife and I love to take some of the round roast leftovers(rare) and fry them with eggs, sunny side up or over easy. That is yummy!!

Like you, I need to come up with a budget/plan to buy a whole beef or 1/2 beef to drastically save $$$. It is a big chunk of cash upfront, but ends up being a good buy.

Also, I'd love to get some grass-fed beef from out west to see if it tastes better than the locally grown beef I buy in southern Pennsylvania.

Is the western grown beef always better?

Also, I wonder if how the beef is aged makes a big difference in the taste or if it affects the "bulletproofness"?

Cheers,

Skippy
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]BilliardsBiohacker.com - [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Follow my biohacking projects and listen to my podcast, as I attempt to improve
    my competitve pool performance, brain function and overall health.[/font]
  • I also would love to know if crockpot cooking with bulletproof "green" items is considered ok?

From reading the site, I see that items should be cooked low (under 350 degrees F), if at all. But is low AND slow ok?

Thanks, first post, love the forum!!

Rob
  • edited August 2013

Hey Guys,

I was trying to catch up on podcasts, and Dave and the co-host talks about low and slow on #8. Dave mentions some food hacking he has done with Sous Vide cooking, and the co-host cooks slow and low in a pot with water. I suggest you check out the Q/A around minute 50 (+/-) to get their specific thoughts on the process and recommendations.

later,

R