Getting Depressed With A Low Carbs Diet

Hi, I would like to lose about 6 pounds but when I go too low in carbs I get depressed, I get very sad. I have fertility issues due to my hormones so I have to watch out my carbs intake If I don't want to mess them up more. What it really works better for me is to have carbs daily, any suggestions? I have to balance my hormones with my weight lost..

I also get very hungry just with the BPC because I have it at 8 and then I have lunch at 3, just having it is not enough, any suggestions for mid morning snacks or should I just be drinking the coffee all morning long until 3 pm?

Could you also suggest any smoothie recipe?

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    - then raise carbs and lower fat, in order to keep food quantity the same lower fat by 11 grams for every 25g carb you add, eat less on less active days and more on more active days.

- if you are hungry, eat, you can even eat while drinking coffee, anything protein and veg would work well.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Do you think I would lose a bit of weight that way? Thanks for your answer
  • Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    Depends how much food you eat of course, that conversion is an equal trade, to lose weight eat less, that is, unless you've been eat too little already for a long time and have lowered your metabolic homeostasis. Do you track your food intake regularly?
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Adding the Upgraded Collagen Protein or Upgraded Collagelatin to my Bulletproof Coffee helps me feel more stable, too. Dave does recommend doing that for people who need it and he also says being too low carb will make you feel yucky. So, I enjoy my Bulletproof carbs in the evening. 

• I would say make sure you get a few concentrated carbs for dinner, and possibly a lesser amount at lunch too, but I wouldn't reduce the amount of fat I eat. Having as much fat as your body wants is one of the cornerstones of this way of eating. I would not mess with that part. If you start feeling deprived, it will backfire completely. For me, having about 0-20 grams of carbs at lunch and 0-40 grams of carbs at dinner is the sweet spot. I have no carbs if I don't want them. You have to find what your sweet spot is, and if you need carbs at lunch in addition to dinner.

• I don't recommend using carbs as an escape from personal issues.  Try to eat out of hunger, not depression.

Maybe you should take a break from "dieting".  Try to forget about watching your diet completely and focus on you.  Once you are in a stable position then you can try again.

• BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

Try adding niacin (B3) and magnesium. Also, if you're not taking any supplemental vitamin D3, I'd suggest adding about 1000 IU for every 25 pounds of body weight. Depression is usually due to nutrition levels. 

For the niacin, it's best to take it along with a good, HIGH- quality B vitamin complex (niacin is vitamin B3) as niacin works best when it has the other B vitamins present. You just cant make a good song with a single note. ;)

"Pure Encapsulations" brand makes the best I've come across, with all the proper forms and decent amounts of each. It's what I buy for my family.

If you've never taken niacin before, I want to say you'll want to start with about 50-100 mg/day. It causes a "flush", which is totally harmless (it opens up the blood vessels and releases histamines, which feels like a warm or hot prickly sensation and your skin gets flushed for a short time). In higher doses this sensation can feel pretty intense, so this is why you start with a smaller dose as you get less flushing as your body gets used to it. Every couple days, add more until you're at about 500-1000 mg/day broken up to about three doses per day.  

Just stay away from the " sustained release" forms of niacin. These have been altered by pharmaceutical industry and have been shown to cause liver issues. Some people kind of like the flush from regular niacin, while others can't stand it. If you find you don't like it, there are two other forms of niacin you can take, which are, inositol hexanicotinate (aka hexaniacinate) and niacinimide, which aren't quite as effective, but won't cause a flush.

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!

• I don't recommend using carbs as an escape from personal issues.  Try to eat out of hunger, not depression.

Maybe you should take a break from "dieting".  Try to forget about watching your diet completely and focus on you.  Once you are in a stable position then you can try again.

I think you are misreading here. 

She is not depressed and therefore craving carbs.

Low carb diets can worsen mood in some - esp women as tryptophan depletion more common - esp. in luteal phase of menstrual cycle. 

Cycle carbs - IMO.

• I think you are misreading here. 

She is not depressed and therefore craving carbs.

Low carb diets can worsen mood in some - esp women as tryptophan depletion more common - esp. in luteal phase of menstrual cycle. 

Cycle carbs - IMO.

Hi SportieDoc

I have experiened a worsening of mood with low carbs as well. do you have any more info on what you mean by Cycle carbs?