Crazy Lady? Over 20 Bananas/day

I'm not here to bash this woman, but I think it's so fascinating.  She's a raw vegan and eats over 20 bananas a day and that's just her getting started in the morning.  She writes, "I eat high-carb because our bodies have evolved to run on mainly glucose." This, of course, is completely anti-BP and also anti all the latest research on health and dieting that I've read with my father (who is a retired surgeon and deep into this stuff) over the past 5 or so years.  I actually think she might be killing herself.

She seems incredibly kind so please don't email her nasty comments but if you're curious, check out her site:

http://www.thisrawsomeveganlife.com/

I almost thought to send her my copy of Grain Brain but I'm sure she wouldn't read it.

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Well, bananas are very tasty, so I wouldn't call it that crazy.

By the way that website isn't from the banana girl. Google banana girl.

• She seems healthy as well as happy. Never change a winning horse.
  • Well, bananas are very tasty, so I wouldn't call it that crazy.

By the way that website isn't from the banana girl. Google banana girl.

I did, Freelee the Banana Girl. She eats 50 bananas a day, had a history of bulimia and lost some 50 lbs. Beautiful girl with beautiful figure. It gets even crazier, she writes she met her match , a Matt Stonie, with a link to a youtube video where you can watch him eating 60 banana's. If anything, he is even skinnier. Turns out he is a eating record breaker, he who can eat/ drink the most of xxxx in the shortest time.

What can I say? It's a n=1 experiment.
  • I'd have to see her blood work. Outward appearances can be deceiving. 20 bananas a day is a shit ton of fructose. Wouldn't be surprised if she has NAFLD. 

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• There is some very interesting research on the 80/10/10 diet which is 80% carbs or the Rice diet. It's apparently capable of reversing diabetes and heart disease but is almost impossible to follow. There is a great talk on Youtube by The Ancestry Foundation called Lessons from the Vegans by Denise Minger. This was given at a Paleo conference so it's not like it's just propaganda from "the enemy". I'd post the link but my computer won't cut and paste at the moment.   The long and short of it is that if you eat almost all carbs OR almost all fat you can have massive health benefits (that are different from each other). If you eat any other combination you lose out on those benefits.

All carb seems to give you improved cardiac function, reversal in metabolic syndrome (even after diet is stopped if done long enough), and weight loss (to the point of looking emaciated especially in males). However, it's almost impossible to stick with and causes severe hunger (the guy who invented it literally whipped people for slipping up),  and probably messes with hormone production and brain function. It also absolutely requires supplementing missing vitamins.  I lost 70 lbs in 3 months on that diet a while ago but it had bad side effects.

High fat diets give you increased energy, increased brain function, can block diabetes (but only while you stay on it). Increase muscle mass, increase hormone production and all the other stuff you all know.

That being said...nobody that does 80/10/10 should be eating only one type of food a day for any extended period of time.

Do not take anything I say here as medical advice.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015

there's actually a court case going on at the moment in Adelaide Australia, between 'Bikini Girl' and â€˜Freelee the Banana Girl'.

here's the story in case your intrigued or curiosity gets the better of you; 

‘Bikini Girl’ fitness guru Kayla Itsines asks SA court to silence ‘Freelee the Banana Girl’ on social media

& 'Durianrider' (Harley Johnstone) is there as well supporting Freelee. 

fake it till you make it

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015

And probably still better than SAD.

• There is some very interesting research on the 80/10/10 diet which is 80% carbs or the Rice diet. It's apparently capable of reversing diabetes and heart disease but is almost impossible to follow. There is a great talk on Youtube by The Ancestry Foundation called Lessons from the Vegans by Denise Minger. This was given at a Paleo conference so it's not like it's just propaganda from "the enemy". I'd post the link but my computer won't cut and paste at the moment.   The long and short of it is that if you eat almost all carbs OR almost all fat you can have massive health benefits (that are different from each other). If you eat any other combination you lose out on those benefits.

All carb seems to give you improved cardiac function, reversal in metabolic syndrome (even after diet is stopped if done long enough), and weight loss (to the point of looking emaciated especially in males). However, it's almost impossible to stick with and causes severe hunger (the guy who invented it literally whipped people for slipping up),  and probably messes with hormone production and brain function. It also absolutely requires supplementing missing vitamins.  I lost 70 lbs in 3 months on that diet a while ago but it had bad side effects.

High fat diets give you increased energy, increased brain function, can block diabetes (but only while you stay on it). Increase muscle mass, increase hormone production and all the other stuff you all know.

That being said...nobody that does 80/10/10 should be eating only one type of food a day for any extended period of time.

Actually, a couple of years ago, I lost 10 kilo's in one month, eating only rice with fried onions. It was part of the Waterfall diet, and this started with an elimination diet and I regained that weight after following the next stages of that diet. Now that I have read this http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/regeneration-degeneration.shtml, I consider doing a very low protein diet again for some time. The idea is 1) to promote apoptosis, 2) to boost metabolism which in my case is way too low, 3) promote regeneration (I'm going to cut out all unsaturated fats too, in order to have my body make Mead acid). I'll let you know if it works for me.
  • edited March 2015

there's actually a court case going on at the moment in Adelaide Australia, between 'Bikini Girl' and â€˜Freelee the Banana Girl'.

here's the story in case your intrigued or curiosity gets the better of you; 

‘Bikini Girl’ fitness guru Kayla Itsines asks SA court to silence ‘Freelee the Banana Girl’ on social media

& 'Durianrider' (Harley Johnstone) is there as well supporting Freelee. 

Not surprised. Durianrider also said a bunch of stuff about Dave Asprey that was basically false and uneducated.

Do not take anything I say here as medical advice.

• Can you get a before and after bodpod reading to show your lean mass and bodyfat%? Also a daily caloric line graph and rough macros? I'm very interested to watch your lean mass decrease while losing weight on a protein deficient low cal diet.

Jason, the plan was NOT to do low calory, that would be disastrous. What is a bodpod thingy, btw? I understand your thinking of muscle loss. It's a possibility. But if I do this, it will not be totally protein free, there is protein in rice and other plant food. Just going to avoid animal protein because of the unsaturated fats and keeping protein low enough for apoptosis to run its course. I don't expect a lot of muscle loss, not in the short run anyway, because my body will use the protein of the suiciding cells, which were no good anyway.

I might even alternate low-protein with days where i will take protein supplements. Given my heart problems, that might be a safer option, without giving away apoptosis and Mead acids. Have to think a bit on this befor I start.

I understand how a high carb and low fat diet can restore Langerhans cells. Peat describes how glucose restores langerhans cells, it's free fatty acids that destroy them. High fat low carb might work for diabetes as well, but I think the high carb would work better.
  • http://www.bodpod.com/en/products/body-composition/adult-children-bod-pod-gs It gives precise data on body fat percentage and lean tissue mass.  That's also why I mentioned to keep a strict food log consisting of total cals and macros, preferably myfitnesspal set to public.

Very interesting, but a bit out of my league. Not one close enough to where I live. I guess I won't be able to follow a strict test protocol.

When I did the rice with onions for 1 month, I was younger and stronger. It was not calory-restricted, but I lost a lot of weight, which I by then thought was just water weight. I felt and looked great btw. The protocol demanded to reintroduce food stuffs, one per week. The only thing that gave an adverse reaction was wheat. So I just ate anything healthy but wheat. For no apparent reason, after 3 months, I started to regain weight. I didn't understand by then, but I think I do now. Low metabolism, due to faulty mitochondria and perhaps some micronutrient deficiencies. The Dutch food is low in selenium and iodine. Our salt has been iodized. Not eating wheat would have resulted in iodine Deficiency. I think the monotonous diet fixed my mitochondria, but I busted it again by eating a iodine-deficient diet. Back then, the pufa's didn't have the bad rep they have now. My health is weaker now, but I think I'm smarter, and hope it will be enough.
  • I did the 80/10/10 diet for about 2 years, and while I did have some good results initially, my health eventually started going downhill.

And no...she doesn't eat 50 bananas a day...maybe on extremely hard training days, but not every day lol