So How Much Carbs Should I Eat When Trying To Lose Abdominal Fat But Keep Increasing Lean Body Mass?

edited March 2015 in The Bulletproof Diet

So I am looking for a little advice here:

I have been underweight, skinny fat, with low muscle mass, so I had this idea to eat like its my job, bulk as much as I can, and for 6 weeks have been eating over 3500 kcal a day. I gained a lot of weight, in total 12 kg since 9 months, but much of it during the bulk. Anyway, I am now exactly 160 lb = 72.5 kg, but I gained a lot of abdominal fat in the process.

So I now have 58 kg (128 lb) lean body mass, and 14.5 kg = 32 lb fat on top of that.

9 months ago I had 50 kg (110 lb) lean body mass, and just 10 kg fat (22 lb).

So well, now I want to lose about half of my fat (16 pounds), without losing any of the hard gained lean body mass.

Is that possible?

I switched to eating 2636 kcal per day now, with exactly 50 g carbs, but I only count sugars+starch as carbs, so if I count total cabrs (which include fiber and other non-digestible stuff), the figure is 95 grams a day. Is this the way to do it, or is it too much carbs? When people mean "50 gram carbs" do they mean sugar+starch like me, or total cabs, which is meaningless I think, because much of it is indigestible (fiber, and oligosaccharides are not so digestible too).

I use https://cronometer.com/

I eat 120 grams protein per day, lift twice a week.

I eat exactly the same macros each day (not exactly the same food!), which I read is not the best idea, but I haven't got around changing that yet.

What would you advise? I just want to drop half of the fat, and then clean slow bulk from there.

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Thanks Jason. I weigh myself every day after pee since a year.

In a week I will make a DEXA, and will know more how the trend is going, and can provide more information then. What kind of extra information might be useful? I will also have blood test results then - hormones etc.

For now two questions: are you sure 160 g protein is needed? After reading this I started thinking 1 g / lb is not needed:

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

I was eating 150 grams protein on my 3500 kcal bulk, now I am eating 120 grams. Is there any more specific reason you recommend 160 grams, besides the "rounded number of 1 g/lb that everyone repeats"?

Second question: am I not supposed to reduce carbs much more then 100g/200g if my main objective now is to lose the fat? There is so much confusion about what is the optimal amount of carbs to eat.

• edited April 2015

I am puzzled, its not working... Its been 4 weeks since I reduced my caloric intake, and I have not lost any weight at all since then. I am tracking 5-day-moving average of my post-morning-urination weight.

Maybe I describe my full story in detail.

2014-12-22: DEXA on empty stomach: total mass: 64.6 kg (142.4 lb), FFM (fat free mass): 53.5 kg (118.0 lb), fat mass: 11.0 kg (24.3 lb), 17.1% fat.

In January I was eating quite variably, first weight went up, then down again as I ate something bad and had diarrhea.

Average daily intake: 2740 kcal (125 g protein, 79 g carbs, 217g fat).

2015-01-28: my 5-day average body mass is 64.5 kg (142.2 lb), so exactly at the mass I was a month before.

From 28 January till 13 March I went on a 45-day bulk eating on average 4092 kcal a day (154g protein, 134g carbs, 324g fat). I targeted eating 3500 kcal, but on some days I are more, because I ate as much as I can, so the average ended up more.

I am also weightlifting twice a week - once with a personal trainer on free weights, and second time on machines doing the BBS Big-5.

My last day of my bulk was 13 March, and on that day my 5-day-average was 72.74 kg (160.36 lb).

From 14 March till 1 April I was eating on average: 2958 kcal (118g protein, 96g carbs, 235g fat).

2015-04-02: DEXA scan on empty stomach: total mass: 72.5 kg (159.8 lb), FFM: 56.5 kg (124.6 lb), fat mass: 16.0 kg (35.3 lb), 22.1% fat.

So during the bulk I gained 3 kg lean mass (6.6 lb), but also 5 kg fat (11 lb). I did such a high calorie intake mainly because of this blog post https://www.bulletproofexec.com/photo-abs-after-2-years-of-4500-calories-no-exercise/where Dave was eating on average 4000-4500 kcal a day, and got abs. I did the same thing, and got abdominal fat, and raised my body fat from 17% to 22% in 3 months. What went wrong? I was following Bulletproof diet rigorously, not even looking at any grain nor anything containing even a spec of flour or sugar. Most of my carbs where from root vegetables, and a spoon of raw honey before bed. I didn't even eat rice. My fat was only Kerrygold butter, Extra Virgin Organic coconut oil and avocados. Protein was grass-fed beef, wild caught fish and pastured eggs. Anyway, I have debunked the myth that you can't gain fat on the Bulletproof diet, and that you can eat as much Kerrygold butter as you want.

2 April to 6 April I was away from home and didn't have access to quality protein, so my intake for 5 days was like this (per day): 1914 kcal (74g protein, 76g cabrs, 146g fat).

I came back home on 7 April, and since then my daily intake is on average: 2500 kcal (158g protein, 125g carbs, 146g fat).

And today, 4 weeks after I finished my bulk, last 5-day average body mass is 72.72 kg (160.32 lb), so I have not lost any weight in 1 month. What is wrong? What should I do now? Continue at the latest macros, or already reduce them?

On 2015-03-19 I did some blood tests (fasting, 8:00 AM), if its any help:

Testosterone: 634 ng/dl

DHEA-S: 674 Âµg/dl (reference range is 80-560, so its over the range).

Estradiol: 40.7 pg/ml

Cortisol: 7.47 Âµg/dl

ACTH: 8.26 pg/ml

Homocysteine: 7.25 Âµmol/l

Triglycerides: 63.47 mg/dl

HDL: 69 mg/dl

LDL: 131 mg/dl

Total Cholesterol: 213 mg/dl

HbA1c (glycated haemoglobin): 5.50% (36.6 mmol/mol, 6.2 mmol/l)

Fasting glucose: 104 mg/dl

The fasting glucose is a worryingly high, over 100 mg/dl is described pre-diabetes. I had 65 mg/dl on 2013-06-17. I was also eating mostly Bulletproof then, around 2500 kcal. Why such increase?

Is there anything else I should lab test to figure out what is going on with my body?

Why my weight stays constant each day for a month now, regardless if I eat 2000 kcal, or 2500 kcal?

Before this whole thing I also had great trouble moving my weight up, it was stuck at 60 kg (132 kg) for years, regardless of how little or how much I ate it was always within 2 kg of 60 kg, only after I drastically increased my average daily caloric intake over 3000 kcal it started moving up at all. Now I am stuck at 72.5 kg and can't get it to go down. Is my body really really good at keeping my weight constant in a very large range of caloric intake 2000-3000 kcal - and it just adjusts energy expenditure to match intake?