Intermittent Fasting 16/8 Very Tired Late/early Evening

Hi Guys,

I'm new here.  So I have been intermittent fasting for 4 days now. Generally speaking, its very easy for me, except for this; come 5pm I am seriously dragging ass.  This seems to be no matter what too.

I hit the gym at noon-12 (a crossfit type gym).  Usally eat around 1:30pm.   Today, I didn't eat until about 3pm due to my scheduel. At eather feeding time,  my energy level drops, until it hits dead bottom (me complely dragging ass) at 6pm.  I have kids to take care of so this is a problem.  I'm not hungary, my body just has no energy.  I usually eat a high protein meals, today i ate a bunch of extra carbs, no change come 6pm.  I have even tried tea with some XCT oil in the afternoon.

I feel really good during the day, right up until 3pm, then my energy drops. Any ideas?

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    hi tony, not enough info to go on really.

are you trying to lose weight (body fat)...you may be in too large an energy deficit.

esp if you are hitting the gym as well (how often?)

fake it till you make it

• hi tony, not enough info to go on really.

are you trying to lose weight (body fat)...you may be in too large an energy deficit.

esp if you are hitting the gym as well (how often?)

Thanks.  What other info would be needed?  Clearly, I'm new at this.

I am trying to loose fat. I hit the gym 6 days a week.  3 days are lifting, 3 days are Tabata, AMRAP, HIIT type workouts.  I feel the same come 6pm with any of the training types.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015

Thanks.  What other info would be needed?  Clearly, I'm new at this.

I am trying to loose fat. I hit the gym 6 days a week.  3 days are lifting, 3 days are Tabata, AMRAP, HIIT type workouts.  I feel the same come 6pm with any of the training types.

Jason M has pretty much covered it...i was getting at your diet (relative to your goals & activity levels)

fake it till you make it

• Your eating plan is probably the farthest thing away from what you need for your frequency and type of activity level, you are most likely under calorie, under carb, under protein, and over fat.  What is your height, weight, age, and approximate bf%? you've already covered the training part info so that's good.  With the type of training we do you need a different macro plan to be successful, you can still do the coffee and eat from the food chart, just not in a way that is meant for sick people.

Funny, I obviously thought I was nailing it.  I'm 5'9", 229lbs, 36 and 28% BF

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

You can try using the manual in Jasons thread (my signature how much to eat). And you can use cronometer to track your nutrition in detail.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Funny, I obviously thought I was nailing it.  I'm 5'9", 229lbs, 36 and 28% BF

Hmmm. You and I are about the same age, activity level, and height/weight.  What are your hours of fasting/eating vs. exercise and what do your meals look like? I eat at noon and 6PM and workout around 4:30 or 5 PM. I eat most of my carbs at lunch to give me something to burn when I exercise. I eat mostly fat and protein afterwards and maybe occasional slow carbs after exercise days.

Jason definitely seems to know a lot about this so check out his recs. But I just thought it would be worth mentioning that timing of when you eat  relative to exercise  is important.

Also you said you had been intermittent fasting for 4 days but didn't mention if you had been doing the diet before that. Are you keto adapted. Some people feel tired/sick when they are adjusting to keto.  Four days is too short for many people to keto adapt.

Also are you getting enough salt and potassium? That was my big problem when I first started. On keto you lose a lot more salt and potassium through the urine so you get sick if you don't eat enough

Do not take anything I say here as medical advice.

• The other thing I didn't think about that would be the simplest answer is that you may just be crashing off the caffeine from your morning coffee/tea.

• @dr.zed:  Thanks for your feed back.  I fast from 9pm to 1pm, and work out at noon.    I have been doing low carb for a week or 2 prior.  I also have keto testing strips.  I am in keto.  Salt yes, potassium who knows.  I'll have to look at it.  Don't think its a caffeine crash.  I usually have a cup at 6 or 7am, but a simpler answer would be terrific. I need to study Dmans food intake advise, and see where I stand. Its a lot to wrap your head around.

@dman thanks for the heads up on food chart.  

• O.K. so you have a pretty high TDEE and are likely not eating 3400cal/day on training days, Crossfit and weightlifting especially need carbs to fuel the type of activity and to increase performance, times, loads, recovery, and increase volume.  For you I'd like to see you try to get to but not start at 200g protein, 125g fat, 380 carbs on training days, and 200g protein, 125g fat, and 150g carb on rest days.  Obviously this is a lot of food and you need to work up to these numbers slowly and let the scale determine how you progress, start of by hitting the protein and fat numbers what they are now, start the carbs at what you have them at now or somewhere around 180-200g on training days, 80-120g on rest days, and from there once you hit a homeostasis, increase the carbs on a weekly basis by 25g/day, this way you can avoid any bloating and water retention, only do the next increase if weight is stable.  Weigh yourself every morning after you pee and keep a chart that graphs your bodyweight, weight fluctuates normally but we want to keep an eye out for changes up or down by over 1-2lbs (those are signals to change something), for the next 12-16 weeks you should be trying to get as close to the top end numbers as you can without adding bodyfat.  Once you've build a strong foundation of being fed and performing well you can do a short 10 week cut, to which I can give you numbers for depending on how close you got to the ones I just gave you.

Eat protein all throughout the day from waking to last meal, eat most of your carbs around training, and most of your fat away from training, try to get 50g carb and 25g proein before and after training, don't consume any fat within 2hrs pre workout, or within 2hrs post workout or you are just slowing digestion of the protein and carbs. rest days are low carb

Thanks Jason, Jesus that is a lot of info.  Do I do that with fasting?  Doesn't eating all the carbs get me out of keto?

• You bring up very interesting points...what if my goal is to loose 30lbs?  Weight loss/management is really my goal then performance.  

• You bring up very interesting points...what if my goal is to loose 30lbs?  Weight loss/management is really my goal then performance.  

I basically asked him the same thing in another thread: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/15074-what-is-carb-re-feed/#entry119141

I'm in the same place as you. My main goal is to get to be around 10% bodyfat again. So far following the BP diet almost as is with calorie restriction for weight loss.. I do something like this: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/15074-what-is-carb-re-feed/#entry119141 on workout days. I eat almost no carbs on days when I am not training though. I really don't see much point.  So far it's working, I'm losing tons of weight for what it's worth. I'm probably losing a little muscle with it but I'm not sure because my strength is increasing.

Daily I eat probably 10-20 grams carbs, 120 grams protein 125-150 grams/fat. I Increase carbs based on activity requiring it

• Are you fasting too?  The fasting is weird, because I usually don't each much if anything before 11am anyway.  I wonder if waiting until 1pm to eat is actually slowing me down. I am in consuming about the same food consumption as you.

• Are you fasting too?  The fasting is weird, because I usually don't each much if anything before 11am anyway.  I wonder if waiting until 1pm to eat is actually slowing me down. I am in consuming about the same food consumption as you.

Yes. I fast 6PM to 12 Noon the next day.

• Jesus Christ, my 5'0" girlfriend eats more than you, have fun with that. Lean mass dictates metabolism, if you diet in a way that decreases lean mass and metabolism you are fighting a game of attrition to keep cutting to fight homeostasis (skinny fat).  If you feed your body and increase lean mass first and find the highest caloric homeostasis you can first, losing bodyfat becomes easy because your cutting diet will be more food than what you were eating before, and you kick ass in life.  My question is why the fuck would you workout 6 days a week in multi component crossfit and A: not care about performance, and B: not want to feed it.  Your ability to increase work volume and output will be a direct reflection of the fuel you give it, in and out of the gym.

Even Dave says this diet style is not for people that exercise, doesn't recommend exercise, and says to eat carbs if you exercise.

Are you asking me or the OP? He never said how much he was eating I don't think.  So who knows if his diet is low calorie like mine. I DO eat carbs when I work out. I calculate it based on activity and don't put in anymore than I will burn off so I stay in Keto.  On days that I don't work out BMR is like 1800 calories so I need to eat less than that to lose weight....so that's what I do.  Also I misread the OP and thought he said 3 days of wrkouts. I didn't know he worked out 6 days a week. I only workout 3 days a week Lifting/HIT.  So yeah...that's a bit different.

• Thank you both for your feedback.  I'm strong (strongish I can BS close to 400lbs, press 165, deadleft 365), but I work out to stay in shape, a general level of fitness, I'm not training for anything.  My body can't take balls out all of the time either so I have to pick my battles.  Its getting close to the summer so I go 6 days a week.   If I was 205 right now, i would eat, that's for sure. But I'm 230lbs.  So i'd like to get the weight addressed as soon as possible.  I'm basically keeping the cabs in the 50-100g range, and the protein/fat hard to gauge, yesterday had burgers, and chicken saussage, turkey and some almonds.  I'm not starving myself, I just haven't been that hungry.  The fatigue in the afternoon, is weird because by that time i would have eaten a good 4 hours earlier.

Zed had a questions for you but I can't remember it for the life of me.