Typical Symptoms?

edited March 2015 in The Bulletproof Diet

On day 1 I cut out all sugars such as my afternoon Reeses, evening cookie or two, afternoon cinnamon raisin bagel etc..

On that day I also cut my carb intake in half. I did eat a bagel for breakfast, because that's all I had for the week (planned on making more bulletproof choices the following week). On day 3 of just doing that, I felt like absolute garbage. No energy, felt almost a little depressed biologically. I should mention that I took an Alpha GPC on day 2 with food, and not on day 3, which I've heard reports it can cause that in rare cases.

Has anyone else had issues with high levels of fatigue and general malaise? My wife saw me on day 3 after work and said I looked sick.

I should mention that I have an extremely fast metabolism and will waste away on the average caloric intake. To maintain my weight I was needing to ingest at least 3k calories per day with at least 150G protein, carbs and dairy at every meal. I work out 3 times per week as well doing Mark Rippetoe's Practical Programming routine which focuses on heavy, low volume lifting. I throw in a little cardio as well on my off days.

Do I just need to embrace the suck until I get into ketosis? 

Also since I'm here, I've noticed that many people experience an increase in their overall cholesterol when adhering to the diet. Could someone clear up why that's not a bad thing? I know I've heard that it isn't a clear marker of overall health, but I haven't heard an argument for high(er) cholesterol that is as convincing as the arguments against high overall cholesterol. But again, I haven't looked extensively and I assume the voice is much louder on the side against. 

Tagged:

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Did you give yourself easy to digest fats like bulletproof coffee and/or MCT oil to make up for the lower carbs? These will help push you towards ketosis and provide an alternative energy source. 

You don't say how much carbs you started with, so cutting them in half could still keep you out of ketosis. Plus, with your activity level, you will need some carbs around workouts. 

It's also not clear what your goals are: fat loss? Muscle gain? Mental focus of ketosis? 

Since you're coming from eating some crap like candy and bagels, yes, there will may a period of intense suck if you make a big switch, until you become fat-adapted. MCT would help. But I wouldn't try to make a big switch, since as I mentioned you'll need those carbs if you continue your workouts. 

Instead, I suggest you:

1. switch your foods to BP green foods via the roadmap infographic, but keep your macros (carbs/protein/fat) the same. 

2. once comfortable with that, add in intermittent fasting with BP coffee, perhaps only on non-workout days

3. once comfortable with that, start replacing some carbs with fats, keeping an eye on workout performance so you don't go too low. 

• I hadn't been tracking my progress through MyFitnessPal for a little while. I did a mock up of what I typically eat now for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I consume Roughly 250-300g carbs on a light day, ~80g sugar, 59g fat, ~150 g protein, and ~3,500mg of sodium. 

It's also not clear what your goals are: fat loss? Muscle gain? Mental focus of ketosis? 

I'd love to be able to gain weight up to around 160 and maintain it, along with enhancing my cognition and energy throughout the day (and being overall as healthy as I can be). I'm 5'10" and 147 in very good physical condition. I was 160 quite recently, but that was during a bulk phase. The only way I've ever gained weight is exhaustively paying attention to calories and force feeding myself until I meet my daily quota, eating a full meal (with carbs, protein, grains, sugars) approximately every 2 hours. This is not sustainable.

I like your idea of following the roadmap, but is it advisable to be on a high fat, high carb diet simultaneously?

I can do the intermittent fasting. I tried the bulletproof coffee recipe with some Starbucks Organic Yukon blend, some Irish grass fed butter and some organic coconut oil (I know it's not the highest source of MCT, but it's all I had in the kitchen), and that kept me satiated for quite some time. It worries me though that with my metabolism, intermittent fasting will likely cause me to lose weight, unless all I do is eat during my 6 hour window.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I like your idea of following the roadmap, but is it advisable to be on a high fat, high carb diet simultaneously?

I can do the intermittent fasting. I tried the bulletproof coffee recipe with some Starbucks Organic Yukon blend, some Irish grass fed butter and some organic coconut oil (I know it's not the highest source of MCT, but it's all I had in the kitchen), and that kept me satiated for quite some time. It worries me though that with my metabolism, intermittent fasting will likely cause me to lose weight, unless all I do is eat during my 6 hour window.

If the carbs are separate from the fat it's not a big problem. Of course any fat gain would mean you need to reduce one of the two. 

Intermittent fasting may make you lose fat, and yes, you'd need to eat a lot during the window. You can widen the window, or just not do intermittent fasting (you don't have to IF to be BP) but IF does help with the cognitive benefits. Then again, some good MCT or the brain octane oil can give you those even in the presence of carbs. MCT is metabolized differently than other fats, so it won't be stored as fat. 

Take a look at Jason Miller's "Bulletproofing the Athlete" thread in the Athletic Performance forum. You can definitely use that to help you gain muscle, but you will probably be eating quite a bit.