Bp Protocol Symptoms & Up´s & Down´s Advice Wanted!

Hi everyone,

First off,

• I´m a 33-year old female
  • 60kg
  • exercise 3x/week (HIIT, weights)
  • GOAL: get lean & feel good

I´m on the BP protocol at the moment (end of week two) - following the book very closely - and wanted to share my experiences and a list of symptoms that I noted. Please share your thoughts and experiences with me by commenting to this post. I´d love to learn more.

If anyone is interested I will also post exactly what I ate at the end of this post.

My eating schedule:

• BP coffee with collagen at around 9am
  • Lunch 12pm
  • Dinner 6pm

I try and don´t snack at all. In the first week I had a couple of olives or another coffee between lunch and dinner but I´m not hungry anymore. I stick to this schedule and follow the meals in the book. Saturday is my protein fast / carb refill day. I workout (HIIT, weights) 3x per week.

This is a fascinating experiment for me as I had no idea how nutritional ketosis would feel and which effect it has on my body. Listening to BP radio I always wondered if I would be able to go into ketosis. I´m fairly slim and athletic but not as lean as I used to be. In the last 1,5 years I put on some comfort pudge (5kg) due to a lot of stress, reduced exercise and enviromental impact (I live in polluted China atm). My main aim is to get rid of random food cravings, detoxify my system, feel better, up my performance and get lean again.

I´ve been diagnosed with heavy metal contamination and will tackle this issue as soon as I get out of China in June (2015). In the meantime I´m on the BP protocol trying to improve my health with nutrition.

So here are some experiences/symptoms I showed:

• extreme sore throat especially in the mornings (still ongoing)
  • acidic feeling in my stomach (week 1)
  • headaches in the mornings (week 2)
  • low urine ketones in the first week (FAIBLE colour according to Ketostix test)
  • high urine ketones in the second week (FORT colour according to Ketostix test)
  • bloating after the carb refeed day (protein fast)
  • couldn´t get warm, felt constantly cold in my bones (week 1)
  • problems to go to sleep (week 2)

Status Quo:

1. The acidic feeling in my stomach is gone now. However, my throat is still sore.
  2. I´m never hungry. My stomach must be the size of a tennisball now cause after two bites of my breakfast I feel full. (dunno if that´s good or scary)
  3. I dind´t lose weight. I feel lighter but my weight hasn´t changed. (I weigh 60kg, so I´m not overweight. Just wanna lean out)
  4. I can feel if I´m in ketoses right away when I wake up before testing it.
  5. I´m often too tired to work out or feel kind of fragile when I wake up in the mornings.

Positive Takeaway:

1. I´m not hungry anymore and don´t have to think about cooking all the time.
  2. I feel light all the time.
  3. My tummy is flat even after eating a full meal.
  4. I eat zero fruit and it doesn´t bother me anymore. (I´m a raw food chef and make a lot of treats all the time)
  5. My afternoon cravings are gone. No more 3pm and 8pm nibble attacks where I want to eat sweets or carbs.

Questions:

• Why do I not lose any weight? Do I have to do this longer or am I doing it wrong?
  • Do I have enough ketones in my urine? (0.8 g/L)
  • What should I do differently?

Exact Meal Plan:

Monday:

9am: BP coffee with collagen

12pm: 2 duck eggs, 1/2 avo, 2 tbsp butter, 1 whole steamed broccoli, 1 sardine

18pm: 1 lamb chop, cauliflower mash with butter and pink salt, green lettuce

Tuesday:

12pm: 2 duck eggs, 1/2 avo, 2 tbsp butter, 1 whole steamed broccoli,

18pm: 1 beef burger pattie, whole bunch asparus, salad

Wednesday:

12pm: bone broth, 2 duck eggs, 1 whole romanesco

Thursday:

12pm: 2 duck eggs, 1/2 avo, 2 tbsp butter, 1 whole steamed broccoli, 1 sardine

Friday:

12pm: 2 duck eggs, 1/2 avo, 2 tbsp butter, 1 whole steamed romanesco

Saturday:

9am: BP coffee

12pm: upgraded iceberg salad with carrot fries, 1/2 avocado, olives

18pm: baked sweet potato with salad and olives, 1/2 avocado

Sunday:

12pm: bone broth, 2 duck eggs, 1 whole romanesco

Comments

• One simple thing that worked for me to boost weight loss was moving the collagen out off the coffee in the morning and moving it to night time.  This does 2 things:

1. Triggers BP interrmittent fasting by not allowing any glucose/protein metabolism between your last meal of one day and lunch the next day. .  "Leangains.com recommends men to fast 16 hours a day, and women 14 hours, due to their less efficient blood glucose metabolism, though women can adapt to a longer fasted state if they feel fine doing so."- https://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-top-three-mistakes-youre-making-on-the-bulletproof-diet-and-how-to-fix-them/

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-fasting/

2.  It allows the collagen to help with regenerative processes at night when it is most needed. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-asprey/5-ways-to-hack-your-diet-_b_6391732.html

Do not take anything I say here as medical advice.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred
    Id proceed very cautiously from here. Trouble sleeping and morning fatigue could be a sign of your adrenals being overstressed.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• One simple thing that worked for me to boost weight loss was moving the collagen out off the coffee in the morning and moving it to night time.  This does 2 things:

1. Triggers BP interrmittent fasting by not allowing any glucose/protein metabolism between your last meal of one day and lunch the next day. .  "Leangains.com recommends men to fast 16 hours a day, and women 14 hours, due to their less efficient blood glucose metabolism, though women can adapt to a longer fasted state if they feel fine doing so."- https://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-top-three-mistakes-youre-making-on-the-bulletproof-diet-and-how-to-fix-them/

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-fasting/

2.  It allows the collagen to help with regenerative processes at night when it is most needed. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-asprey/5-ways-to-hack-your-diet-_b_6391732.html

Thanks for the tip. Ill look into it, sounds really interesting.

Two questions: 1. can I still add 1 tbsp of collagen into my morning BP coffee cause I feel like it helps me feel satiated?

2. How much collagen would you recommend in the evening and at what time?

Thanks heaps

• Id proceed very cautiously from here. Trouble sleeping and morning fatigue could be a sign of your adrenals being overstressed.

Thanks for the concern. This is not a lifetime experiment. Its a shortterm experiment to get to know my own biology. Plus Im a very hands on person who likes to have an opinion AFTER trying new things. Ill take care!

• Low protein, low calorie, inadequate "refeeds". Hiit training and weight training are anerobic which means you use muscle fibres that don't diffuse oxygen and use glucose for fuel, if you want to be on ultra low carb you would be better of doing aerobic activity which uses muscle fibres that operate by diffusing oxygen, meaning you can subsist on fat for energy. Protein has a high TEF, meaning that you expel fairly large amounts of energy as heat just by consuming it, for example, if eating 50g protein causes a metabolism increase of 75cal, eating 100g causes 150cal increase, 150g for 225cal etc. overall I would eat more protein everyday and eat carbs with less fat on training days (unless low intesity cardio), low carb on rest days, eliminate the refeeds unless on a training day, stop protein fasting.

per this, can I deduce that low intensity exercise [walking/cycling] won't touch my glycogen stores and/or break down muscle fibers, thus best way to burn fat

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

per this, can I deduce that low intensity exercise [walking/cycling] won't touch my glycogen stores and/or break down muscle fibers, thus best way to burn fat

Of course your blood always needs to maintain a certain glucose level. The first source for that will be the liver glycogen (or from glucose being ingested).

So your Liver glycogen store will be touched, whatever your activity level.

After liver gylcogen 'runs out' (gets 'too' low)...idk. The answer will probably be, it depends.....

fake it till you make it

• All energy expenditure will result in reductions in body fat when calories are managed properly, The term "using fat" can be misleading, what it means is that when it comes to low intensity activity you can consume fat and you will fuel the activity adequately without bonking, or failing.  Short high intensity intervals, weightlifting, or endurance can all be used to burn equal amounts of calories, it's what you use to fuel the activity successfully that changes.

how about if in a fasted state / consuming no food- can low intensity walking/cycling be fueled primarily by bodyfat

seems like an extremely controversial question, but how do you literally burn fat [very small amount- belly fat]- perhaps fasting once a week / avoiding any exercise

i understand strength training is the best for long-term, as larger muscles literally raise your metabolism

• I've had a sore throat in the mornings since starting BP also.