Having Trouble With Satiety On Just Bp Coffee In The Morning

I posted this over on the women's forum, but thought I'd get some extra eyes on it here :)

So I've been on the BP diet since the beginning of January. I haven't been perfect at it, but have stuck pretty closely to the food guidelines. I haven't had the most drastic results, only losing about 7 lbs. and 4 inches (I know that's partially my fault for not sticking to JUST "green" side foods, but have stuck to yellow - green consistently).

One thing I'm having trouble with is being satisfied with just having BP coffee in the morning. I have been doing IF 4-5 days a week and tweaked the IF time to cutting off eating by 9pm and eating again the next day around Noon. I tried 1pm and 2pm, but have found that I am just too hungry by then! Tummy rumbling, can't concentrate, hungry. I know that I can have another cup of BP coffee if I'm hungry, but I don't have the means at work to make the coffee there (I once tried making an extra cup to take with me, but didn't have the means to reheat it - GROSS!) I also tried adding some vegan, and then recently, collagen protein, which helped a little, but I am STILL finding myself hungry by 10:30 or 11am when starting off with BP coffee at 8am. 

I have been doing 15-20 minutes of weight lifting exercises 2 times a week with 3 days of rest between. I usually do my workout around 2-3pm on the days I don't work, and around 5:30pm on the days I do. I haven't really noticed a huge impact in hunger on the days I work out, but am not sure if that makes a difference.

Has anyone else had a problem with making it til afternoon on just BP coffee? Any insight into why this isn't working well for me, and suggestions on some tweaks I could make?

Thanks in advance!

-Danielle 

Comments

• What are you eating the rest of the day?

• 7 lbs and 4 inches is good! Over how long of a period was that? Is there a particular reason you feel like you NEED to IF? You could try adding more fat to your BPC if you are committed to the fat fasting thing. Or just try to deal with the hunger for a while and see if your body adjusts, I think it took me a week or two of IFing before I got used to it. Otherwise, why not just have a green zone BP breakfast? You don't HAVE to IF to lose weight, and in fact I gained weight and have had more luck losing weight by following Jason Miller's suggestion of 1g/lb of protein spaced evenly throughout the day, keeping all carbs within 6 hours after working out, and keeping calories (yes, the c-word!) just low enough to stay in a small deficit without going so low that performance and mood suffer. Check out his template in the athletic forum if you haven't yet!
  • Hi Danielle,

Try adding a little more butter and coconut oil/MCT to your coffee (more as usual) and 1 tbsp of collagen. I add the collagen every morning and it keeps me full till 12pm. My eating window is 12pm to 6pm though as I find it easier to not eat late at night.

On some days I even forget about eating and have my lunch at 1pm. 

Have you had any other issues such as bad breath, acidic stomach feeling?

Zoe

• On the 1 or 2 days I don't do IF, I have 2 fried or soft boiled eggs, usually with some avocado and a couple slices of smoked sockeye salmon. On the average day, I eat lunch around noon and rotate between a few meals: 1) a whole avocado, sliced, with 2-3 slices of smoked sockeye salmon and 1-2 hard boiled eggs. 2) a salad with grilled chicken, hard boiled egg, some sort of dressing. 3) 2 hard boiled eggs and a blueberry muffin Lara bar (dried blueberries, cashews, dates, lemon and vanilla extract) or an EPIC bar (either the lamb or bison one). IF I have a snack between lunch and dinner, it's usually a handful of olives or some some cut carrots and celery with guacamole. For dinner, we have beef 2-3 days a week, chicken once, and fish once, each time with steamed broccoli or brussels sprouts with butter and sweet potato or white rice. We usually order in sushi once a week, and I get something with salmon and avocado. I usually crave a little something sweet after dinner, so I'll have a cup of mixed berries and a banana or a few pieces of 85% dark chocolate around 8:30. Only things I drink all day are my cup of BPC and water, sometimes a cup of hot herbal tea with xylitol or raw honey and lemon.

The 7 lbs and 4 inches has been over 3 months (though as of today, it's down to 8 lbs and 5 or 6!). I guess I was expecting more rapid fat loss as other people have mentioned, but not sure how common it actually is? I guess I feel like doing IF just by hearing it's best for rapid fat loss and I like quick results :) I definitely haven't been counting calories, but I imagine I've been staying in a deficit most days. What about working out? Would upping it to 3 days a week be better? I keep wondering if women need a little more of it... I will definitely check out Jason Miller's template, sounds interesting!

Currently, my BPC consists of 2 tbsp butter, 2 tsp XCT oil, 1/2 tsp xylitol and sometimes I'll add a little vanilla extract, some spices, or a couple squares of dark chocolate for something different. I did start using some collagen protein (I think 11g of it per serving) and have noticed it helps a little. I may try adding another tbsp of butter. I haven't noticed any bad effects at all, actually! My stomach feels GREAT, which is unusual for me. I used to get really bloated and sometimes nauseous after eating, just felt really heavy after my meals, but eating BP has definitely helped with that and it's very rare I get an upset stomach or bloating now. I do take a pretty good probiotic now, so I imagine that has helped a lot, too.

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated  :)

-Danielle

• The inches lost are more valuable than the pounds, cause weight fluctuates a lot based on how much water/glycogen you have, and anything more than a pound or 2 each week is probably not fat loss.

Also, if you do keep up with the IFing I'd maybe try leaving out the xylitol and chocolate as they do have small amounts of carbs. Might not make a difference but I generally would aim for 0 carbs if fasting.

• On the 1 or 2 days I don't do IF, I have 2 fried or soft boiled eggs, usually with some avocado and a couple slices of smoked sockeye salmon. On the average day, I eat lunch around noon and rotate between a few meals: 1) a whole avocado, sliced, with 2-3 slices of smoked sockeye salmon and 1-2 hard boiled eggs. 2) a salad with grilled chicken, hard boiled egg, some sort of dressing. 3) 2 hard boiled eggs and a blueberry muffin Lara bar (dried blueberries, cashews, dates, lemon and vanilla extract) or an EPIC bar (either the lamb or bison one). IF I have a snack between lunch and dinner, it's usually a handful of olives or some some cut carrots and celery with guacamole. For dinner, we have beef 2-3 days a week, chicken once, and fish once, each time with steamed broccoli or brussels sprouts with butter and sweet potato or white rice. We usually order in sushi once a week, and I get something with salmon and avocado. I usually crave a little something sweet after dinner, so I'll have a cup of mixed berries and a banana or a few pieces of 85% dark chocolate around 8:30. Only things I drink all day are my cup of BPC and water, sometimes a cup of hot herbal tea with xylitol or raw honey and lemon.

The 7 lbs and 4 inches has been over 3 months (though as of today, it's down to 8 lbs and 5 or 6!). I guess I was expecting more rapid fat loss as other people have mentioned, but not sure how common it actually is? I guess I feel like doing IF just by hearing it's best for rapid fat loss and I like quick results :) I definitely haven't been counting calories, but I imagine I've been staying in a deficit most days. What about working out? Would upping it to 3 days a week be better? I keep wondering if women need a little more of it... I will definitely check out Jason Miller's template, sounds interesting!

Currently, my BPC consists of 2 tbsp butter, 2 tsp XCT oil, 1/2 tsp xylitol and sometimes I'll add a little vanilla extract, some spices, or a couple squares of dark chocolate for something different. I did start using some collagen protein (I think 11g of it per serving) and have noticed it helps a little. I may try adding another tbsp of butter. I haven't noticed any bad effects at all, actually! My stomach feels GREAT, which is unusual for me. I used to get really bloated and sometimes nauseous after eating, just felt really heavy after my meals, but eating BP has definitely helped with that and it's very rare I get an upset stomach or bloating now. I do take a pretty good probiotic now, so I imagine that has helped a lot, too.

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated  :)

-Danielle

Hey,

Do you actually test your ketones Danielle? Cause if I ate this many carbs throughout the day it would definitely kick me out of ketosis. My threshold is pretty low. I experimented around and know now that I can only eat a handful of carbs (fruit or sweet potato or coconut water etc) in the evening. Sushi is not even an option unless its just Sashimi without rice. So, if you dont test your ketones yet, get these ketostix and start measuring it will help you with reducing your carbs. The less carbs I eat and the more ketones I have the less hungry I am. The sugar cravings after dinner or in the afternoon are gone. And I can feel a huge dofference since my body is running on fat as fuel.

x

Zoe

• It could be a few things.   My first thought it that you are dehydrated - are you drinking enough water and taking in enough salt to retain said water?

Second - have you tried having more butter or mct oil?  I have found on some extreme days I can easily intake 5+ tablespoons of butter with 2 or more tablespoons of mct oil.  Maybe you just need more food .   How much do you weigh?

I used to have problems making it to the afternoon with BP coffee, yet now I can make it to 2-3pm with no food at all!

3nergy & Matter

I love music

• Hmm maybe carbs are the key, although I don't usually have many carbs til dinner time, and it's almost always white rice or sweet potato, sometimes the fruit. Do the carbs you have in the evening affect  I guess I'm just not familiar enough with how many carbs are in what I usually eat... what is a good range to stay in for women? Any suggestions for low carb lunches? I haven't tried actually testing my ketones yet, but I may try to see where I am.

I don't think I'm dehydrated. I have a 16oz glass of water soon after I wake up and drink 2 20oz bottles at work, and at least another 2-3 16oz glasses between dinner and bedtime. I'm not getting a ton of ADDED salt anymore since I'm not eating a ton of processed food, but I usually have a few grinds of pink Himalayan on whatever I eat for lunch and dinner. For me, it's hard since I have high blood pressure to find a good number for my salt intake.

I did try upping the butter in my BP coffee this week, but haven't seen much difference yet. Braine Octane is due to get here Thursday, so maybe that will be better! I'm 5'5" and 180lbs, so I guess being this overweight I'm just nervous about consuming any more calories (I can't help it, it's been ingrained in my brain... darn you, health industry!) Even though I HATE counting calories, I may for a couple days just to see where I am now. Before going bulletproof, I was consuming about 1700-1800, so I imagine with the higher amounts of protein and fat it's closer to 1900-2000?