Homemade Kimchi Allowed?

I've read about how uncooked cabbage is not good on the bulletproof diet, homemade kimchi?

Comments

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful
    It's the fermenting that worries me. It's like an asian version of sauerkraut - there are ways you can "hack" the fermentation effect. Look at my german red cabbage recipe that I posted. Typically they ferment the cabbage too, but that's a cheat way to get a very similar effect.

No sorcery, just science. 

• Where can we find that recipe?
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

No sorcery, just science. 

• Is it ok to eat fermented foods if you ferment them yourself?
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    'Jimmm' wrote:

Is it ok to eat fermented foods if you ferment them yourself?
    Yes. Just track how you feel.
  • NickatNickat
    edited June 2015

Decided to resurrect the thread. Tried home made and fermented foods like Organic Green Tea Kombucha (not for us), Raw Milk Keffir (not for us), Sauerkraut (Thumbs up and for us) and now having a go making Kimchi.

The shop bought stuff is awesome but we need to hack the hotness. It was never hot enough for Nic and far too many red peppers and heat for Kat. Does anyone else make the stuff?

Kimchi_zpsl0nonjd5.jpg

• I make it. The store bought stuff is QUESTIONABLE. I don't like the dehydrated shrimp powders/fish oils/questionable spices/vegetables/seafood sources. 

Karthein's (a Canadian brand) - is by far and wide for me the beeeeesssst store bought Kimchi. Their recipe is deadly simple and they have the taste NAILED - it's a perfect blend of soft raw cabbage, vinnegary zip and a little pep kick to the shins of heat from red pepper.

If I could I'd just pound a half jar a day. It's $$$ though and the best deal to be found is $10/750ml at a local grocer. Whole foods sells it for $14/750ml - if you USA guys/girls are curious to try it's got my grassfed seal of approval. AWESOME!

I make my own right now, I'll find the thread hier on BP forums and post my recipes/techniques. It's a ton of time, but the yield and cost combined with the unique taste and 100% controlled ingredients make it worth it in the end.

It's time to get grassfed baby!

Check out my YouTube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWev8LYc9i0GIGDflIg-j1w

And maybe check out my barely ever updated but soon to be updated site: www.grassfedjeff.com

• NickatNickat
    edited June 2015

I make it. The store bought stuff is QUESTIONABLE. I don't like the dehydrated shrimp powders/fish oils/questionable spices/vegetables/seafood sources.

Karthein's (a Canadian brand) - is by far and wide for me the beeeeesssst store bought Kimchi. Their recipe is deadly simple and they have the taste NAILED - it's a perfect blend of soft raw cabbage, vinnegary zip and a little pep kick to the shins of heat from red pepper.

If I could I'd just pound a half jar a day. It's $$$ though and the best deal to be found is $10/750ml at a local grocer. Whole foods sells it for $14/750ml - if you USA guys/girls are curious to try it's got my grassfed seal of approval. AWESOME!

I make my own right now, I'll find the thread hier on BP forums and post my recipes/techniques. It's a ton of time, but the yield and cost combined with the unique taste and 100% controlled ingredients make it worth it in the end.

Sounds great. After watching you make Guacomat you should try Cucumber kimchi (oi-sobagi). It`s made by turning a cucumber into a pocket and stuffing it with vegetables and Kimchi paste.