How Much Food / Carbs On 20 Min Hiit Cardio Days?

DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

changing my routine.

I want to do ~20min HIIT cardio 2-3 times a week to support fat burning and my heart instead of one ~45 min session per week.

(I do weight lifting on 1-2 other days...)

The routine comes from this post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/19wsr4/hi_loseit_i_went_from_215_19_at_bodyfat_to_187_at

I will do that in the morning.

What do you think how much I should eat to achieve my goals?

Thanks in advance.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

Tagged:

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Thanks Jason, I was counting on you.

Bicycle, 30:30 sec. and changing that over time to shorter low intervals. I did it for 45minutes once a weekend until last week and kept the intervals the same. But now I'm gonna do it the normal way by keeping it to 20 minutes and changing the low intervals over time. So I will probably start next week by making shorter low intervals.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• I didn't look at the Reddit link, but I feel pretty confident in providing advice on this subject as it's what I do in my day to day work.

Assuming you have a topped up glycogen bank you will be able to do that 20min interval on just water. But for optimal performance, it's a good idea to take on some fuel during the session, if for no other reason than to start the post-exercise recovery that much sooner. Of course there are other good reasons for taking on fuel during the HIIT, but for sake of keeping this a short post, it's a good idea to take on something. A good fuel for that level of intensity would focus on a blended simple/complex carb with electrolytes, all in a liquid form. You could throw in a small amount of amino acids and WPI as well if you wanted to get on top of things. 

Try to focus on finding the right balance between ensuring your glycogen bank is good to go prior to the session, without having to resort to the quick fix of simple carbs leading up to the HIIT.

As for HIIT on a bike, unless you have a lot of experience in these kinds of things, be sure to do a good warmup and cooldown as Jason mentioned. 15mins of incremental intensity, to include a bit of surging and a couple of small sprints prior to the HIIT will help prep you for the kind of work required in a 20min HIIT. 

• edited March 2015

(Those) 20 minutes should seem like the most horrible thing you've ever done

Or the greatest thing you have done, depending on how you look at it.    However if your new to HIIT you probably won't be loving it lol.

To answer your question - eat more (enough) carbs post HIIT

3nergy & Matter

I love music

Thanks for the answers.

20 minutes once was the hardest thing for me. that was like a year ago... And instead of going down with the low interval times I was going just doing the overal training for a longer period of time. 45 minutes is what I ended up with doing 35/35. And believe me I feel like I'm dying after that and it takes time to recover.... I don't want that anymore.  I elt like crap for 3 days even with 200g carbs und food until I couldn't eat anymore on that day...

I do 85%, not 100%. I see most people recommend 85%.

How much to eat:

Thanks for the answers.

20 minutes once was the hardest thing for me. that was like a year ago... And instead of going down with the low interval times I was just doing the overal training for a longer period of time. 45 minutes is what I ended up with doing 35/35 sec. And believe me I feel like I'm dying after that and it takes time to recover.... I don't want that anymore.  I felt like below suboptimal for 3 days even with 200g carbs and lots of meat until I couldn't eat anymore on that day... and I feel that's not the way to go. After that it took 3 days to get back into ketosis. I want to use this training to support fat burning mode, have a healthy hart and get outside and move a little. Not to kill myself....

I do 85%, not 100%. I see most people recommend 85%.

How much to eat:

haha. for sure. this sounds hardcore. ^^

How much to eat:

• Jason I was actually thinking about buying an airdyne for some HIIT because I hate sprinting. When looking at the prices I see the airbike for over $1000 and I can get the AD2 for roughly 500 or so, do you think its worth the extra money to go for the airbike? I don't have much experience with either of them so im hoping you do haha. thanks