Bp Protocol Symptoms & Up´s & Down´s Advice Wanted!

Hi everyone,

First off,

• I´m a 33-year old female
  • 60kg
  • exercise 3x/week (HIIT, weights)
  • GOAL: get lean & feel good

I´m on the BP protocol at the moment (end of week two) - following the book very closely - and wanted to share my experiences and a list of symptoms that I noted. Please share your thoughts and experiences with me by commenting to this post. I´d love to learn more.

If anyone is interested I will also post exactly what I ate at the end of this post.

My eating schedule:

• BP coffee with butter & coconut oil & collagen at around 9am
  • Lunch 12pm
  • Dinner 6pm

I try and don´t snack at all. In the first week I had a couple of olives or another coffee between lunch and dinner but I´m not hungry anymore. I stick to this schedule and follow the meals in the book. Saturday is my protein fast / carb refill day. I workout (HIIT, weights) 3x per week.

This is a fascinating experiment for me as I had no idea how nutritional ketosis would feel and which effect it has on my body. Listening to BP radio I always wondered if I would be able to go into ketosis. I´m fairly slim and athletic but not as lean as I used to be. In the last 1,5 years I put on some comfort pudge (5kg) due to a lot of stress, reduced exercise and enviromental impact (I live in polluted China atm). My main aim is to get rid of random food cravings, detoxify my system, feel better, up my performance and get lean again.

I´ve been diagnosed with heavy metal contamination and will tackle this issue as soon as I get out of China in June (2015). In the meantime I´m on the BP protocol trying to improve my health with nutrition.

So here are some experiences/symptoms I showed:

• extreme sore throat especially in the mornings (still ongoing)
  • BAD BREATH!!!!! (awful side effect)
  • acidic feeling in my stomach (week 1)
  • headaches in the mornings (week 2)
  • low urine ketones in the first week (FAIBLE colour according to Ketostix test)
  • high urine ketones in the second week (FORT colour according to Ketostix test)
  • bloating after the carb refeed day (protein fast)
  • couldn´t get warm, felt constantly cold in my bones (week 1)
  • problems to go to sleep (week 2)

Status Quo:

1. The acidic feeling in my stomach is gone now. However, my throat is still slightly sore.
  2. I´m never hungry. My stomach must be the size of a tennisball now cause after two bites of my breakfast I feel full. (dunno if that´s good or scary)
  3. I dind´t lose much weight. I feel lighter but my weight hasn´t changed. (I weigh 60kg, so I´m not overweight. Just wanna lean out)
  4. I can feel if I´m in ketoses right away when I wake up before testing it.
  5. I´m often too tired to work out or feel kind of fragile when I wake up in the mornings.

Positive Takeaway:

1. I´m not hungry anymore and don´t have to think about cooking all the time.
  2. I feel light all the time.
  3. My tummy is ALWAYS nice & flat even after eating a full meal.
  4. I eat zero fruit and it doesn´t bother me anymore.
  5. My afternoon cravings are gone. No more 3pm and 8pm nibble attacks where I want to eat sweets or carbs.

Questions:

• Why do I not lose more weight? Do I have to do this longer or am I doing it wrong?
  • Do I have enough ketones in my urine? (0.8 g/L)
  • What should I do differently?

Exact Meal Plan:

Monday:

9am: BP coffee with collagen

12pm: 2 duck eggs, 1/2 avo, 2 tbsp butter, 1 whole steamed broccoli, 1 sardine

18pm: 1 lamb chop, cauliflower mash with butter and pink salt, green lettuce

Tuesday:

12pm: 2 duck eggs, 1/2 avo, 2 tbsp butter, 1 whole steamed broccoli,

18pm: 1 beef burger pattie, whole bunch asparus, salad

Wednesday:

12pm: bone broth, 2 duck eggs, 1 whole romanesco

Thursday:

12pm: 2 duck eggs, 1/2 avo, 2 tbsp butter, 1 whole steamed broccoli, 1 sardine

Friday:

12pm: 2 duck eggs, 1/2 avo, 2 tbsp butter, 1 whole steamed romanesco

Saturday:

9am: BP coffee

12pm: upgraded iceberg salad with carrot fries, 1/2 avocado, olives

18pm: baked sweet potato with salad and olives, 1/2 avocado

Sunday:

12pm: bone broth, 2 duck eggs, 1 whole romanesco

WHAT ARE YOUR EXPERIENCES? Thoughts? Advice?

Comments

• Sounds like you are doing great!   Sorry you are experiencing a few symptoms.  It does take some time for your body to adjust and the fact that you are fighting such a polluted environment cannot be helping at all.  I lost a few pounds when I first started the diet then it leveled out.  I don't go by the numbers (other than blood/urine test) any longer and only go by how I feel.  Once I did a gut cleanse and rebuild, my clothes got looser but I didn't lose any pounds so my body did do something to slim me down.   Your food choices look amazing!   If I were you, I'd keep the diet as is for the next couple of weeks while your body adjusts to it all, then start changing one thing at a time to see what happens.  That's what biohacking is.  Follow the protocol as written, then adjust one thing at a time till you find your sweet spot.  We are all different so what changes need to be made for that sweet spot are different.   

Keep on posting your experiences. 

• The protocol is not designed for people that exercise, Dave said himself that if you workout, eat carbs after, 100g of carb on training days will only improve you. My other response to this post in another section still applies, only do low carb on rest days and up your protein macro %.

Thank you I appreciate your advice. I skipped the carb refeed day this week cause I felt bloated when I did it the first week. Ill try and only eat carbs on workout days. However, I dont need any carbs on the other days cause Im not hungry.

• Sounds like you are doing great!   Sorry you are experiencing a few symptoms.  It does take some time for your body to adjust and the fact that you are fighting such a polluted environment cannot be helping at all.  I lost a few pounds when I first started the diet then it leveled out.  I don't go by the numbers (other than blood/urine test) any longer and only go by how I feel.  Once I did a gut cleanse and rebuild, my clothes got looser but I didn't lose any pounds so my body did do something to slim me down.   Your food choices look amazing!   If I were you, I'd keep the diet as is for the next couple of weeks while your body adjusts to it all, then start changing one thing at a time to see what happens.  That's what biohacking is.  Follow the protocol as written, then adjust one thing at a time till you find your sweet spot.  We are all different so what changes need to be made for that sweet spot are different.   

Keep on posting your experiences. 

Thank you Linda, I appreciate your comment. It helps me to hear other peoples opinions. I already feel much better on the diet. Its my third week now and Im motivated to keep going cause Im not hungry anymore, feel great most of the time and I love that my shopping and cooking time is so reduced. Also my abs are starting to show, so Ive definitely gotten leaner even if the scales are not showing it. xx

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred
    I really hate being the downer in situations... But

To add to my comment from the identical post you made earlier, the fact you are feeling bloated from carbs now could indicate you are negatively pruning your gut microbiome.

On the bright side, if you're truly adamant on driving yourself into the ground you can at least in hind sight teach others what not to do ;)

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Well done - sounds like you're sticking really well to the diet! Looking at the big picture, my guess would be that your body is still just adjusting to this new routine. I'm not sure what your diet was like before, but I know drastic changes can definitely cause headaches and stomach upset.

A couple of your issues stuck out to me. The first was having trouble sleeping. You mentioned that you had (at least at first) had more BP coffee between lunch and dinner. Having caffeine after 2pm can definitely play a part in keeping you up at night, so I would shy away from it after that time. What time do you typically lay down for bed? Do you use any electronic devices an hour or less before trying to sleep? If so, I would limit your electronics exposure to 1+ hours before bedtime, and download f.lux on your computer to combat the blue light. Also, I've found that after I started taking an Omega-3 blend that my sleep significantly got better. I also use lavender essential oil on the soles of my feet at night, and I sleep like a baby! I use doTERRA because I trust the company and they produce quality products. Here's a link to the Omega-3 blend I use:

https://www.doterratools.com/documents/xEO_Mega.pdf

Also, are you taking any supplements? A probiotic could be a game changer for you with the gut issues you've been having.

Another thing that stuck out to me was the acidic stomach feeling. I could be totally off on this, but it may be the complete lack of carbs. Remember, the objective is to reduce them, not cut them out completely, so having a little bit of a buffer mixed in like some white rice or sweet potato here and there could help. Remember when your mom or grandma gave you some toast when your tummy hurt as a kid? Same principle - the carbs act to soak up that excess acid in your stomach. Could be, could not be - this is just a theory of mine! 

Finally, as far as losing weight, sure you may not have lost many numbers on the scale, but what about girth? Have you measured yourself - waist, hips, thighs etc? To me, this is a better indicator of how much fat you are losing, as muscle weighs more than fat. I have only lost 8.5lbs in 3 months, which doesn't sound like much, but I have lost a total of 9.25 inches all over my body! The fat literally melted off and the muscle is showing through. I know I lost way more than 8 lbs. of fat, but building all that muscle is what made it not as apparent on the scale. 3 weeks may be a little too soon to physically see a change in yourself, so I'd encourage you to take pictures and measurements now, so you have something to compare to a couple months down the road. 

• Well done - sounds like you're sticking really well to the diet! Looking at the big picture, my guess would be that your body is still just adjusting to this new routine. I'm not sure what your diet was like before, but I know drastic changes can definitely cause headaches and stomach upset.

A couple of your issues stuck out to me. The first was having trouble sleeping. You mentioned that you had (at least at first) had more BP coffee between lunch and dinner. Having caffeine after 2pm can definitely play a part in keeping you up at night, so I would shy away from it after that time. What time do you typically lay down for bed? Do you use any electronic devices an hour or less before trying to sleep? If so, I would limit your electronics exposure to 1+ hours before bedtime, and download f.lux on your computer to combat the blue light. Also, I've found that after I started taking an Omega-3 blend that my sleep significantly got better. I also use lavender essential oil on the soles of my feet at night, and I sleep like a baby! I use doTERRA because I trust the company and they produce quality products. Here's a link to the Omega-3 blend I use:

https://www.doterratools.com/documents/xEO_Mega.pdf

Also, are you taking any supplements? A probiotic could be a game changer for you with the gut issues you've been having.

Another thing that stuck out to me was the acidic stomach feeling. I could be totally off on this, but it may be the complete lack of carbs. Remember, the objective is to reduce them, not cut them out completely, so having a little bit of a buffer mixed in like some white rice or sweet potato here and there could help. Remember when your mom or grandma gave you some toast when your tummy hurt as a kid? Same principle - the carbs act to soak up that excess acid in your stomach. Could be, could not be - this is just a theory of mine! 

Finally, as far as losing weight, sure you may not have lost many numbers on the scale, but what about girth? Have you measured yourself - waist, hips, thighs etc? To me, this is a better indicator of how much fat you are losing, as muscle weighs more than fat. I have only lost 8.5lbs in 3 months, which doesn't sound like much, but I have lost a total of 9.25 inches all over my body! The fat literally melted off and the muscle is showing through. I know I lost way more than 8 lbs. of fat, but building all that muscle is what made it not as apparent on the scale. 3 weeks may be a little too soon to physically see a change in yourself, so I'd encourage you to take pictures and measurements now, so you have something to compare to a couple months down the road. 

Hi,

Thank you! I appreciate your long answer and tips.

Things have changed drastically since I made this post. I actually did lose weight. Exactly 2 kg after 4 weeks on the BP protocol. I guess my body responded slower and change wasnt visible over night. Im trying to lean out cause Im a bit skinny fat at the moment. I used to be lean and fit and then put on pudge which doesnt make me look fat but Im softer than I used to be.

Anyhow, good news is that the acidic feeling is now gone and you might be right. I did add in some sweet potato or carrot at night sometimes. However, Im not hungry so I didnt really feel a need to eat carbs.

I dont drink coffe past 2pm ( only my morning 9am cup) and I use f.lux and do some yoga before bed but getting good sleep is still my biggest struggle. The nights when I do sleep well are amazing. I feel like a different person on the neyt day. However, 3 out of 7 nights I either struggle to go to sleep or wake up during the night which can be draining.

Thank you for taking the time to answer this.

Have a beautiful day.

• It's been a while since I've been on the forum, so sorry for the late response!

So glad you've seen some improvements. I hear you on the sleep struggle. One thing I've noticed in myself recently (since last posting) is that I haven't been sleeping as well as usual, either. For me, I think it's been because I've been slacking with my diet and not being as regular with my essential oil use. I usually use a combo of oils to ward of depression as well as lavender at night to help me sleep, and using those daily have me amazing results! So for me, it's about consistency. Have you noticed that these nights you have trouble sleeping, there's an irregular variable like eating something not so great, working out at a different time, excess stress, etc.? It might be worth keeping a journal for a few weeks, to see if you can see a correlation between those sleepless nights and some external factor.

I hope you can get to the bottom of it! Not getting good quality sleep sucks. In the meantime, try using equal parts lavender essential oil (about 2 drops) and either a dab of coconut oil or avocado oil and rub on the soles of your feet before bedtime. After you've rubbed it in well, cup your hands around your nose and take a few sniffs of the excess oil from your hands for the added aromatic benefit. Just make sure the oil is safe for topical use! This has worked great for me. Good luck!

• I'm jumping in a bit late here but I've struggled with sleep for a long time myself. Kicked ambien about six months ago. I recently started wearing a sleep mask at night. My sleep has improved drastically. Maybe give it a try?