Cla Supplements?

Hi All,

I am new-ish to the protocol.  I have about 60lbs. to lose.  A couple of years ago, I was at a normal weight and got there by doing Atkins extended induction, less than 20 carbs/day, for about a year and a half.  I have since gained it all back because of ongoing clinical depression and a diagnosis of hypothyroidism, which I somewhat suspect was brought on by low-carb-ing too strictly (and since it does not run in my family and I don't fit the age profile, etc., but who knows?).

Anyway, most of my weight is in my stomach.  In the past, the CLA supplements combined with low carb got rid of that bloating w/in a week so I could at least breathe a bit better. I know the Kerrygold has CLA, as does grass fed beef, but after a couple of bulletproof weeks (and about 12-13 lbs. lost) I am still uncomfortable and resemble a human bowling ball.  Also, I am at about 30 carbs per day right now on BP.

Do any of you have any commentary on CLA supplements? I feel I should go back to them at least until I get some more weight off of my midsection. 

Thank you!

p.s  I've already searched the forums for an answer to this question, but they weren't much help, i.e. didn't talk about them much.

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Supplements help a little but they only bring about 1% of the results. Diet should be your main concern. And if you are hypothyroid, low carb will only make it worse, sorry. If you share more about your lifestyle we can help more, please share your diet, and whether you work out.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Thanks, Reka.

It's just that the CLA helped me feel less uncomfortable in the stomach area in the past.  There's the "no harm," but I am wondering if, on this diet, there is a "foul" - or at least some accounts of how people used it, if they did.

Well, about my diet: up until the thyroid diagnosis and the depression, as I mentioned, I stuck to about 20 carbs and about 1500-1600 cals per day and was fine and at acceptable body fat/weight.  In fact, despite being sick and overweight at the moment, I know how to lose weight and I am confident that I will lose weight that I need to on this program in about 4-5 months.  I cannot say that I won't gain it back though as my depression is severe and ongoing.

Anyway, I've resorted to very low carb in the past when cleaning up my act.  This week, though, I am trying to be higher carb just because of the thyroid issues you mention and that I've also been researching:  BP coffee in a.m. and then, (instead of nothing but fat and meat and low-carb veggies), I'll eat mostly veggies, fats, fruits, and meat -- some shirtaki noodles here and there and the occasional processed brand (gluten-free) soup. I only eat from the window of around 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.  I am watching portions, especially for fruit.  I don't eat gluten in any form. My daily calories are probably between 1300-1400.  The scale keeps going down about .5 lb a day, but I know that's still water at this early point.  I'm just waiting for the inevitable plateau.

So, I really am not the model BP'er - there you go!  But, I was wondering about the CLA as, again, I try to slowly incorporate more carbs.  And, too, I would be interested in hearing about how others bring in more carbs and/or find some sort of a balance.  Very low carb, in the long run, made me sick, although it's hard to admit now since it also made me thin....

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Have you looked into possible gut problems? (vague I know) They are probably the cause of the bloating and may even play a role in depression.

If you feel CLA helps you, feel free to try it, maybe your physiology needs more of it. If it works for you don't throw it out.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.