Feeling Tired After 3 Months On Bp

Hey all,

I've been BP since early December and am loving it.  My problem now is that I am tired frequently in the early mornings after I drink my BP coffee.  I am primarily on BP to lose body fat and lower my inflammation.  I have been BP the entire time, am getting 8 hrs of sleep a night, cut out my beloved beer over 30 days ago and exercise 4 days a week.

In the beginning I was getting a huge high from being BP and still feel great but over the last 2-3 weeks I have been very tired in the mornings up until about 1 pm.  Is this my body getting use to being BP or is there something more going on?  I have no new stress or outside influences that are new since I started.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!  If you need more info let me know.

Comments

• dude same problem here. Not only do I feel tired I am extremely hungry in the morning.

• Really hard to say. Most people here will just tell you to eat more carbs, as if it's some sort of magic bullet for fatigue (it isn't). I know it's a pain and expensive, but if you don't feel better within the next couple weeks, I would highly suggest having some basic blood tests done. Specifically, CBC + chemistry + lipid panel, hormone panel (free T, AM coritsol & AM DHEA), thyroid panel (TSH, free T3, free T4) and CRP-hs. You'll get the best advice if you can provide those metrics. 

But for now, are you eating enough? Use a site like fitday.com to track everything you eat for a couple days if you're not sure. If you train, how many days are you allowing for recovery? 

Hey all,

I've been BP since early December and am loving it.  My problem now is that I am tired frequently in the early mornings after I drink my BP coffee.  I am primarily on BP to lose body fat and lower my inflammation.  I have been BP the entire time, am getting 8 hrs of sleep a night, cut out my beloved beer over 30 days ago and exercise 4 days a week.

In the beginning I was getting a huge high from being BP and still feel great but over the last 2-3 weeks I have been very tired in the mornings up until about 1 pm.  Is this my body getting use to being BP or is there something more going on?  I have no new stress or outside influences that are new since I started.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!  If you need more info let me know.

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• Eat more carbs, after 4pm. There I said it.
  • Thanks for all the replies!  I'm not more hungry even though I have increased my exercise from 2 times a week to 4 days a week.  I know they talk about not exercising this much but exercise improves my mood tremendously and makes me feel good torturing myself.  I workout hard one day and then take the next day off so I am giving myself a break.

I have been considering getting some blood test done but can't afford that right now but it is on my radar.  I'll try adding more carbs to my diet in the form of sweet potato's after 4 pm.  

Jason, you mention adding more Fat to my coffee.  I'm putting in 3 tbsp now, what do you suggest I bump it up too?  I've also thought about adding the Collagen protein in as well but not sure if that would be good or not...  My weight loss has stalled so trying to rev it back up.

• here are some stats from a physical i did about a month ago (any thoughts let me know) :

Total Cholesterol

A Type of Fat

LDL

Less Healthy Low-Density Lipoprotein

HDL

"Good" Cholesterol

Triglycerides

Type of Fat

Total to HDL Ratio

Total Cholesterol to HDL Ratio

Triglycerides to HDL Ratio

Ratio of Triglycerides to HDL

Non-HDL Cholesterol (Calculated)

All Less Healthy Cholesterol

TSH

Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone

Creatinine (serum)

Creatinine in your blood

eGFR

Marker for kidney function

—

Albumin

Type of protein in blood

Sodium

An electrolyte outside cells

Potassium

An electrolyte inside cells

Chloride

Balances other electrolytes

Calcium

Blood and Bone Mineral

• it could also be when you are starting something new in your life, that releases some old negative emotions from within your subconscious. It can manifest as lethargy, sloth and tiredness. The solution is to actually just keep remaining active through the sloth, and don't let it overpower you, and eventually it flushes out.

• HDL is low, trigs are high, Trigs to HDL ratio is high (less than 1 is ideal). Best guess is you're having blood sugar issues. That is, you're probably insulin resistant. How many grams of carbs are you consuming per day? Are you doing any form of high intensity interval training? Thyroid is probably fine but hard to say without free T3 and free T4. 

• it could also be when you are starting something new in your life, that releases some old negative emotions from within your subconscious. It can manifest as lethargy, sloth and tiredness. The solution is to actually just keep remaining active through the sloth, and don't let it overpower you, and eventually it flushes out.

This is not just psihological. In bodyfat poisons and heavy metals are stored (thats why industrial pig meat is bad for instance), so when burning it, we can become il or feel bad for a short amount of timel (I think I read a study about this few yours back). But I also agree with psihological issue - like everywhere in life we have to stay strong to change a habit or improve ourselves.

And what about salt intake? I take half a teaspoon each morning on empty stomach and use it a lot during a day... maybe it would help.

I would also recommend you protein fasting. I like it very much, it kind of resets my diet... I do it once a week.

• Eat more carbs, after 4pm. There I said it.

====

Thank you.

Your body will get used to BP for sure, but there are other things at play. Carbs are probably something you need at this point...

• Uh, no. Looking at his lipids I'm fairly certain he's insulin resistant. More carbs is the last thing he needs. 

====

Thank you.

Your body will get used to BP for sure, but there are other things at play. Carbs are probably something you need at this point...

• To catch up on the recent posts: (thank you for your contributions)

All of the carbs I consume only come from vegetables that I eat ( eat A LOT of veggies).  I eat no breads, grains, rice or anything.  I have a sweet potato once/maybe twice per week after 6 pm immediately following a workout.

My workouts consist of strength training 3X per week and cardio (mostly hiking on the weekends, average about 20 miles per weekend)  

I am getting these following tests done on Wednesday 4/15: (note from my doc after requesting blood tests)  "Typically for the thyroid screening we order a TSH and it will reflexively send for a T4/T3 if abnormal. So I will order that. I will also order a lipid panel, a screening test for diabetes and a test to check your kidney function and electrolytes as well as your liver function. " 

Salt:  4X per week I drink 2 teaspoons with 8 oz of water on an empty stomach right when I get up (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FAWNOEC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)  

I do intermittent fasting 6 days a week (dinner at 7 pm and then don't eat until 12-1 each day.  Then do 1-24 hr fast each week.  I've been eating only things in the first two upper levels of the Road map.

I also take these supplements everyday:  Nutrigold Vitamin D3-10,000 IU, 2 drop of J. Crow Iodine w/ water, 2 Jarrow Krill Oil Pills, 1 Opti-Mag pill& 1 Solaray 1,000mg Vitamin C.

With all of this that I've been doing consistently you think I would have lost 50lbs but I'm only 12 lbs down which is VERY frustrating.  People say I look thinner but the scale doesn't say it.  I feel great so I guess that's all the matters in the end.

Is this to much, to little?  Any thoughts?  Thanks for your help!

• Glucose tolerance test to see of you are insulin resistant. Check your thyroid and more important testosterone levels. You should do HUGE carb refeed day if you are always eating like that. I would say between 700 and 1000 gram of carbs one day a week with 3 days a week of lifting. Best to refeed after those long hikes
  • The main reason I avoid carbs is my reaction to it because of my crohn's disease.  I'll just eat more sweet potato or something.

• Ask John for advice on gut health and carbs. Fix your gut .com
  • ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited April 2015

All of the carbs I consume only come from vegetables that I eat ( eat A LOT of veggies).  I eat no breads, grains, rice or anything.  I have a sweet potato once/maybe twice per week after 6 pm immediately following a workout.

My workouts consist of strength training 3X per week and cardio (mostly hiking on the weekends, average about 20 miles per weekend)  

These two statements are not compatible unless you are in the very small subset of people that somehow manages to run almost entirely on fat. If you were in that subset, you'd know, because you wouldn't be posting about being tired. 

Take a look at your veggie consumption, and subtract fiber from total carbs. You will almost certainly be quite low. The BP diet carb levels (which include a fruit or starch every evening, BTW) reflect a fairly low amount of exercise, like 20 minutes a week. Doing what you're doing requires much more carbs. So you miss out on the serving of starch/fruit at night, PLUS it sounds like you don't carb refeed, which is an essential part of the BP diet at least once a week. What does a carb refeed look like in terms of sweet potatoes? It would be a bare minimum of 6.5 five inch sweet potatoes. One sweet potato after workouts isn't enough to cover your workout needs, much less keep you in the clear over the long term. 

Either figure out which carbs don't impact your Crohn's, get your Crohn's under control to where you can eat carbs at appropriate levels (see the Bulletproofing the Athlete thread in the Athletic Performance subforum for levels,) or drastically cut back on your activity level. Or be tired and become sick over time with depleted gut lining, thyroid issues, and adrenal fatigue. Those will force you to cut back on your activity level eventually anyway.