Is Gluten Bad For All People All The Time?

How long of a period of gluten elimination has to pass before noticing any difference?  I don't notice any changes for the better after dropping it and no problems after binging on it. 

What is a reliable, quantifiable indicator that is proof that gluten is doing any harm?

Stats:  58YO male, reformed vegan (ergo, the high gluten consumption), no medical issues or medications (except modafinil), no food allergies

Comments

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man
    edited March 2015

2-4 weeks. And it must be 100% avoidance to get the immune response to fully disengage. That means: no beer, no cheats, no barley, no rye, no birthday cake and that clock starts over at any exposure because the immune system re-engages. Listen to episode #61 with Dr. Tom O'Bryan to get the rundown and his reference list for studies/citations to look over as well. To get the leaky gut from gluten-exposure to subside though it may take much, much longer. That's where Mr. Brisson can offer help. 

Once you get the gut fixed, I believe, based on intuition not science, that the body can tolerate binge days or periodic exposure without problem. You might also be able to tolerate at some point "weak" gluten like that found in wheat's ancient ancestors like spelt. I also believe that sensitivity runs a really broad spectrum dependent on a lot of factors but that O'Bryan is right and no human can digest gluten, so it'll have some level of impact on everyone and nobody should be eating it.

• Finding out episode #61 came out within a couple months before I became Bulletproof-aware is a little annoying but I'll get over it.  It definitely answers my questions at a good time.  I travel as part of my job and the next trip will be 4-5 weeks.  Being away from home will provide a good environment to lock down my diet without distractions.  Even without any dietary goals, I have very monotonous eating habits on these trips because I stick with meals that won't cause any digestive problems to support working nights, often in places that won't permit access to a commode for hours. 

I'm in! 

Thanks!

• riggykriggyk
    edited April 2015

I've found that with my N=1, Gluten depends on the degree of how "off-the-rails" you go.. meaning if you eat a whole pizza, you're going to crush yourself... if you have a piece of cake or something like that or a cookie.. you might just get bloating and some lethargy/brain fog.

Having said that, cutting out gluten completely has been the best thing I've ever done. - Relapses over the years resulting in  massive disaster pants and weeks of gut dysbiosis was just absolutely NOT worth it.

Best of luck.

• I have been gluten free for about a year and as I was not sure what would happen if I had a serious... bender.  So, a breaded dish and 7 beers later and the next day I had gained 7 lbs.  I could not believe it and that was after a sauna trip to try to detox.  I do believe it remains off the menu.

• I definitely notice a huge impact on myself after gluten. Brain fog, gas, bad bowel movements, noticeable more stupid. 

I do duolingo  languages in the morning, and the morning after gluten is always a struggle even though the brain fog is gone by then., 

• Gluten is like kryptonite for me, 2-4 weeks of recovery is about right. 2-4 weeks of HELL as the gluten gut damage(leaky gut) causes me to no longer manufacture the brain balancing neurotransmitters. I dont know how I survived eating it most my life. My behavior was very "isolated" and my parents where concerned.

• zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.
    Dr Perlmutter's "Grain Brain" will answer many of your questions.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• I have read Dr. Perlmutter's Grain Brain and Brain Maker and I am trying to eliminate as much as possible from my diet BUT the results I am getting are disappointing.

For low-intensity training, such as cycling, the diet is proving very good.

For high-intensity training, I am either getting injured or feel way too weak to push weights.

For intellectual exercises, I am noticeably slower, especially in verbal expression.

I lost a lot of weight and most of it seems to be from muscles.

I am a 35 year old male with a lifetime diet based on fast-carbs (bread/pizza/pasta/fries) coupled with the typical Mediterranean ingredients (onions/olives/garlic/tomatoes/seafood etc). My bodytype is ectomorph and but it indicates I could be at the starting stages of the metabolic syndrome (fat is forming and accumulating around by abdomen area).  I have a family history of strokes and diabetes type 2. According to 23andme, I am also at a higher risk for celiac and gluten sensitivity. 

All this should lead to an obvious conclusion: I must avoid fast-carbs. The problem is that I seem unable to function at my normal mental speed with this diet. Anyone had these kind of problems? What bothers me is how slow my brain became once I started phasing down these fast-carbs. Today in desperation I took a scoop of pure maltodextrin and for an hour or two I was back at the top!

• As someone brought up in italy (where gluten is a national religion and whose population is among the longest lived on earth), i've seen many people live to a ripe old age eating a diet based on pasta and bread.  Having said that, diets are getting far more processed these days, many more toxins are entering the body, so the next generations life expectancy may well be lower.  

Each of us has a unique metabolism. However, given the issues surrounding gluten, gliadin and other grain compounds, it is worth finding out if you feel better without them.  To do that, I would go on a two month complete exclusion of all processed foods diet (ie Intestinal Permeability Diet), eat only organic whole vegetables and organic meat/wild fish), remove other toxin sources as much as possible, and then reintroduce gluten to see what that does.  Keeping truly gluten free in the western world is really hard, because it means basically 99% of processed foods are off limits.  Manufacturers are putting gluten in the strangest things, including shampoos.  The longer we go off gluten, the more sensitive we get.  So the problem gets worse.  Personally I found going off grains transformative; my life is so much better that its worth the effort of keeping off them.  But that may concievably be because of issues not directly related to gluten or gliadin itself, but to other aspects. The science behind gluten is by no means completely resolved, and in my opinion, its better to look at the whole question from a perspective of intestinal permeability/leaky gut, and inflammation, than from gluten itself.  

• I have been gluten free since late March.  The evaluation period since has been abundant in circadian challenges (shift work), travel, dehydration and supplement changes which makes it impossible to pin any benefits or downside to staying off of gluten.  I will remain off gluten as a part of going lo-carb and becoming fat-adapted.  I am having a series of tests done that will assess my supplementation, digestion, stress markers, and metabolism because recovery from working a month of 12 hour nights isn't happening yet after 2 weeks of a "normal" schedule which is currently featuring some sleep issues.