Nootropics For Kids?

Is it safe for kids to take nootropics? If so, what nootropics are recommended and what ages are appropriate? Please provide links to support your answers. I'm just a little curious, that is all.

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Yes. It's called a healthy diet.

As for all the drugs we like to experiment with, no.

• HGRHGR
    edited April 2015

No, only a healthy diet with whole organic/grass-fed foods with some essential supplementation: D3, K2, EPA/DHA, magnesium and a good multivitamin. 

• edited April 2015

A healthy diet with sunshine and a low-dose multi.  Like medications, supplements are artificial and made by humans (eg companies selling this stuff for profit).  And, you don't know what the right doses are and you could be doing more harm than good.  (I won't take any supplements for this reason.)

Think food first, pills second whether meds or supplements.

• I have no issues giving MCT oil to my kids, but that's about as far as I go beyond food.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    Any tips on making my 5-month old daughter Limitless??

Lol, playing around with brain chemistry probably isn't a good idea till someone is done growing. The age I've seen thrown around for males is ~25 years old. A high fat BP diet will probably give your kid(s) a great start, though!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• I do give my kids sunflower lecithin for choline, and they have developmental delays.

• Small doses of theanine, appropriate for body weight, is probably the only "nootropic" I would give a child. 

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Small doses of theanine, appropriate for body weight, is probably the only "nootropic" I would give a child. 

Perhaps in the form of a nice cup of tea?  ;)

• Given that Dave & Lana recommended oxyracetam during pregnancy, which Lana took, I would assume it should be safe for kids in low doses.  I wonder if piracetam would be even safer since it's the original and lower potency version and also water soluble like oxyracetam.  however I would also like to have a more qualified opinion.  

• I was gonna say choline was about the only thing I could think of.  You really don't know the neurotransmitter dominance of your child until you see it play out IMO.  Is he/she introverted, extroverted, a little bit of both? They run on different pathways.  Nature vs. Nuture? It's best to wait and just do BP or whatever you feel relevant till the child grows up.  Healthy fats have more studies than most noots.

• What about if a child is getting anesthesia for a procedure?  My almost 3 yr old is getting anesthesia tomorrow morning.  Dave and JJ Virgin receommended piracetam immediately before and after anesthesia for brain protective purposes.  I am wondering if a small dose might be beneficial in this instance.

• I completely understand the question. Personally I have a 7 year old with severe ADHD. He is medicated, but ADHD medication is a meth amphetimine. So, that being said, nootropics may be safer. I tried oils, herbs, and all natural things before I had to choose medication. It isn't that he daydreams out of the window. He is hyperactive and has impulse control issues. He cannot attend school without medication. I would love to find a more natural solution. So I get the original question. Sometimes as parents we have to choose the lesser of two evils. :)

• BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

@Bulletsuz said:
    I completely understand the question. Personally I have a 7 year old with severe ADHD. He is medicated, but ADHD medication is a meth amphetimine. So, that being said, nootropics may be safer. I tried oils, herbs, and all natural things before I had to choose medication. It isn't that he daydreams out of the window. He is hyperactive and has impulse control issues. He cannot attend school without medication. I would love to find a more natural solution. So I get the original question. Sometimes as parents we have to choose the lesser of two evils. :)

I hear you and I get it. But I think the main question any of us would have is to ask what your 7 year old is eating, first and foremost, I would advise the following:

• Eliminate all sugar, artificial colorings and additives
    • Avoid omega 6's where you can and boost omega 3s (O3s from Salmon, krill oil, egg yolks, avocados, etc are good options).
    • Make sure they get proper sleep (totally dark room and consistent sleep schedule)
    • Support the nervous system with a good quality B-complex (folate form should not be folic acid. Choose folinic acid or 5-methyl folate). The regular adult dose is fine. They will use what they need and pee out the rest.
    • Vitamin C, 1 gram per day for each year of age (divided into 3 or more doses, leveling out at year 10)
    • A little extra "no flush" niacin is needed for "ADHD". Forms should be either Niacinamide or Inositol Hexanicotinate. Neither of these cause a "niacin flush". An extra 100 mg per day. Add another 100 mg per day each week to 500 mg, then level off. (do not use "timed release" or "sustained release" forms as they have been altered pharmacologically.

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!

• Tee with lion's mane is ok