Bp Coffee Queasiness & Storage

Hi all,

I've been having Bulletproof coffee in the morning for a couple of months now, from the ground coffee and in a french press.  I add 1tbsp of Kerrygold, unsalted grass fed butter and a tbsp of XCT oil.  I make about 12 oz mug of it, using 2 tbsp of ground coffee that I steep for 4-5 minutes, per directions.

As I'm drinking in the morning I sometimes get a little queasiness or nausea.  I'll drink the coffee over a span of 5-10 minutes, and down some supplements with it as I'm going.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to the queasiness?

I'm also wondering how everyone stores their ground coffee?  Is it ok to keep it in the freezer when not using it, or is storing in a cabinet ok?

Thanks

Comments

• Lose the MCT Oil (MO) and use Coconut Oil (CO).  MO is not a natural 'food' your body recognizes and even authors like Ben Greenfield recognize CO is a healthier/better solution.

• where does ben greenfield say that? he seems to recommend mct pretty frequently from the podcasts/blog posts of his i've heard/seen. 

• Bull of HeavenBull of Heaven ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015

Hi all,

I've been having Bulletproof coffee in the morning for a couple of months now, from the ground coffee and in a french press.  I add 1tbsp of Kerrygold, unsalted grass fed butter and a tbsp of XCT oil.  I make about 12 oz mug of it, using 2 tbsp of ground coffee that I steep for 4-5 minutes, per directions.

As I'm drinking in the morning I sometimes get a little queasiness or nausea.  I'll drink the coffee over a span of 5-10 minutes, and down some supplements with it as I'm going.

I'm also wondering how everyone stores their ground coffee?  Is it ok to keep it in the freezer when not using it, or is storing in a cabinet ok?

Thanks

Try to sip your BPC a little slower to see if that helps. Are you drinking water before, during, or after?

Coffee storage in a cabinet is better for smaller amounts of coffee. If you bought a 5lb bag you might want to split it up into smaller containers and freeze.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• where does ben greenfield say that? he seems to recommend mct pretty frequently from the podcasts/blog posts of his i've heard/seen. 

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2015/02/307-is-mct-oil-a-scam-how-to-measure-your-neurotransmitters-downhill-running-tip/

Note where I qualify coconut oil as a "better" solution.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015

where does ben greenfield say that? he seems to recommend mct pretty frequently from the podcasts/blog posts of his i've heard/seen.

Ah ye olde MCT oil vs coconut oil...horses for courses

fake it till you make it

• from his comments...

Ben Greenfield

111p· 9 weeks ago

I didn't say that. I said that they have different uses. There is a place for MCT and Coconut oil on my shelf at all times.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Do you blend it properly, like in a blender? 

I store up to 12 oz in an air tight container. Larger quantities of whole beans I freeze in freezer bags, or additional 12oz bags I squeeze the gas out of, then put a piece of tape over the exhaust valve and freeze the whole bag. I don't think I'd freeze pre-ground coffee, though, since there's much more surface area which will trap moisture, which will then freeze in the freezer. If/when you thaw, do so over 24 hours without unsealing the bag to prevent condensation. 

• from his comments...

Understood; which is why I qualifed my post.

I would not use either.  As has been noted in a link I posted, MCT Oil is deficient in several vital components in Coconut Oil.  And to extract these oils, chemical solvents, or, products such as salts are used to extract them. 

What happened to "food", the way nature intended it?  :wink:   Not directed at you (or anyone on the board), but, we criticize the processed food manufacturers that crank out cereals, chips, breads or sugary deserts, but, why do other processed food products that are just as void in essential/critical nutrients given a free pass?

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015

What happened to "food", the way nature intended it?  :wink:   Not directed at you (or anyone on the board), but, we criticize the processed food manufacturers that crank out cereals, chips, breads or sugary deserts, but, why do other processed food products that are just as void in essential/critical nutrients given a free pass?

I agree in a general sense that real food is to be preferred, but the science on MCT oil is pretty convincing.

Not all food processing is inherently bad for the human body. You could definitely argue all processed food are unnatural. Then again, we live in very unnatural ways. So it becomes an unnatural solution for an unnatural problem.

Besides, does heating constitute processing? In a way it does, and it will improve nutrient uptake for some foods. 

• I agree in a general sense that real food is to be preferred, but the science on MCT oil is pretty convincing.

Not all food processing is inherently bad for the human body. You could definitely argue all processed food are unnatural. Then again, we live in very unnatural ways. So it becomes an unnatural solution for an unnatural problem.

Besides, does heating co

nstitute processing? In a way it does, and it will improve nutrient uptake for some foods. 

Agreed, however, it isn't the heat but the chemicals involved during the extraction processes and as noted  in another post, all of the 'good' ingredients that are naturally part of the coconut are destroyed during the manufacturing process.  That, to me, was a sign maybe all was not well in the world of MCT Oils.  :wink:

Some of the early pro-lipid researchers also noted coconut oil provided greater benefits than MCT:

"In a study by Reddy et al (1984) straight coconut oil was more inhibitory than MCT oil to induction of colon tumors"

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/a-new-look-at-coconut-oil/

Less processing, chemicals and human intervention, to me, the better.  Also, there aren't a lot of long term studies on the affects of MCT oil that I'm aware of, to include the alleged benefits for patients suffering with Alzheimer's Disease. 

I know MCT can cause diarehha in some people and it is also not recommended for people with gallbladder issues or hypocholesterolemia but haven't looked too hard for additional info as I'm not convinced MCT's not much more than another money maker for the supplement companies.

• hillrunner can you please stop thread hijacking and linking to articles that don't even prove your/any point?

At least in the United States, where I live, it is a Capitalist Democratic Oligarchy of course MCT is just another money maker for supplement companies, everything is a money maker for everything. "I'm not convinced MCT's not much more than another money maker for the supplement companies."That is like saying that raising grass fed beef cattle is just another way that farmers and ranchers make money.

Your thread hijacking statements are not valid. The links you post as objective proof do not even support the arguments you are trying to make. 

If you make your own thread about MCTs which argues against its supplementation posting links about the theory behind its synthesis,metabolism, and biochemistry; along with other various studies I will read it. I have read every link you've posted as "research" and I am not impressed. 

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• hillrunner can you please stop thread hijacking and linking to articles that don't even prove your/any point?

At least in the United States, where I live, it is a Capitalist Democratic Oligarchy of course MCT is just another money maker for supplement companies, everything is a money maker for everything. "I'm not convinced MCT's not much more than another money maker for the supplement companies."That is like saying that raising grass fed beef cattle is just another way that farmers and ranchers make money.

Your thread hijacking statements are not valid. The links you post as objective proof do not even support the arguments you are trying to make. 

If you make your own thread about MCTs which argues against its supplementation posting links about the theory behind its synthesis,metabolism, and biochemistry; along with other various studies I will read it. I have read every link you've posted as "research" and I am not impressed. 

"Bull" -

First, it is your opinion regarding my statements and links. 

Second, I'm not here to impress you.  I've posted information which applies to the discussion; you can choose to read it or ignore it.

Third, not sure where you live...I'm in the US which is a Republic suffering from bouts of Oligarchy and quasi-capitalism. (The US is not a pure capitalist economy, btw.)  I can find references if needed, but, a Republic is a system in which the people choose representatives who, in turn, make policy decisions on their behalf.  Yes, the US does have some limited democracy where citizens can vote on initiatives and referendums, for example.  But, we are in fact a Republic: the US is based on Madisonian principles and if you were to go back and read the Federalist papers, James Madison describes how this is implemented in the American government. 

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Agreed, however, it isn't the heat but the chemicals involved during the extraction processes and as noted  in another post, all of the 'good' ingredients that are naturally part of the coconut are destroyed during the manufacturing process.  That, to me, was a sign maybe all was not well in the world of MCT Oils.  :wink:

Some of the early pro-lipid researchers also noted coconut oil provided greater benefits than MCT:

"In a study by Reddy et al (1984) straight coconut oil was more inhibitory than MCT oil to induction of colon tumors"

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/a-new-look-at-coconut-oil/

Less processing, chemicals and human intervention, to me, the better.  Also, there aren't a lot of long term studies on the affects of MCT oil that I'm aware of, to include the alleged benefits for patients suffering with Alzheimer's Disease. 

I know MCT can cause diarehha in some people and it is also not recommended for people with gallbladder issues or hypocholesterolemia but haven't looked too hard for additional info as I'm not convinced MCT's not much more than another money maker for the supplement companies.

Alright, that's something to consider when choosing coconuts, coconut oil or MCT oil. But I still don't think this means we can throw MCT oil out there with high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated vegetable oils, and other 'evils' of the food processing industry.

• 1  - coconut oil and mct oil are different products for different functions. why bother with an either/or argument? 

2 - just because something is "processed" doesn't mean it is unhealthy. the processing that mct undergoes is necessary to extract the mcts, it's not like someone is creating some horribly unhealthy concoction for the sake of flavor, mct offers unique benefits that coconut oil doesn't, AND vice versa, just like coconut oil probably has benefits that you aren't going to get from eating directly from a coconut (does opening a coconut count as processing?). 

3 - i think this pretty much sums up this whole conversation: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/what-is-mct-oil-vs-coconut-oil/

4 - hillrunner - i appreciate your discussion and your role as devil's advocate, and hope you stick around to encourage folks to question things as critical thinking is a lot more valuable than "well dave said...". buuut, i do want to point out that your approach so far is suspiciously troll-like, and you might get more interesting responses if you start fresh threads for stuff like this. 

• To MKenna32....When I first started drinking BP coffee, I would have that same queasiness also.  Now I take two of these capsules along with it, and the problem is completely solved. They contain enzymes plus betaine hcl.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Vo26ke0TL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

I often take them whenever I'm eating something with a high fat content...they really help.  

• Oops, that photo link in my previous post isn't very helpful.  They are:  NOW Foods Super Enzymes.

• To MKenna32....When I first started drinking BP coffee, I would have that same queasiness also.  Now I take two of these capsules along with it, and the problem is completely solved. They contain enzymes plus betaine hcl.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Vo26ke0TL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

I often take them whenever I'm eating something with a high fat content...they really help.  

Thanks everyone for suggestions.  I might look into these enzymes ... I've thought initially that it's because I'm not having any protein in the morning, any possibility of that?  I know Dave talks extensively about not having protein during the coffee/morning fast.

And as far as storage, I'm a little new to coffee as a regular morning ritual, so I wasn't sure if it was ok to freeze and use straight from the freezer, or not.  Sounds like the cabinet is a fine place to store it. 

Thanks