Wtf?

drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Biohacker Banter

i was reading this article:http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-is-a-calorie-a-calorie-2

just kinda skimmin through and it was all kinda old news but more or less on point, then i came across this paragraph and wondered if it was supposed to be a joke or something..or did i miss a meeting somewhere? now branched chain amino acids are things found in hamburger and give you metabolic disease? what?

All proteins provide about 4 calories per gram but there are higher quality proteins, which may reduce appetite and optimize muscle repair and recovery (think: fish or eggs), and lower quality proteins (think: hamburger meat) that are loaded with branched-chain amino acids, which have been linked to metabolic disease and insulin resistance. In this case, you get more nutritional bang for your buck if you consume 4 calories of high quality protein.

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

I don't see any references in this article.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Even more important.. what the hell is hamburger meat? you can make hamburgers out of anything haha (i'm assuming they mean beef)

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015

Even more important.. what the hell is hamburger meat? you can make hamburgers out of anything haha (i'm assuming they mean beef)

ham...?!

edit: or hamster perhaps

fake it till you make it

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
  • Agreed. Been using it for the past couple of weeks and I pretty much have to ignore the info about over/under.
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I just leave the preset macros in place. This way, it throws a fit when I end up consuming 3-5x the amount of recommended fat.  :mrgreen:

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• it throws a fit when I end up consuming 3-5x the amount of recommended fat.

All day, every day.
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

A typical day on MyFitnessPal:

"This food is high in saturated fat."

"Your goal today is to eat less than 96 grams of fat. This has 200 grams in it."

"OK, you just blew your fat macros for the day."

"Jesus, man. More fat? Really?"

"Enjoy your heart disease."

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man
    edited April 2015

When I switched to Bulletproof eating I was able to successfully give up counting calories. I used to track everything and had to limit myself to ~1,400Kcal to maintain my 160# weight. Bulletproof & IF has easily allowed me to maintain that weight without counting, without feeling hungry and easily eating more calories in any given day. Not that I want to be calorically inefficient but it's nice not being cold, hungry, or fighting cravings so nailing the macros by habit has allowed me to give up counting and tracking all my food. And I feel good, too. I tracked religiously for over 2 years on MFP (and it did help me lose 60lbs) so it was a breath of fresh air to no longer whip out my phone at every meal. I know it's a useful diary though for other purposes, I had just had enough! :wink:

And having just started my own blog as easily as getting out of bed it's no surprise there are bloggers with horrible content.

• while we're on the calorie tangent i gotta say that recent podcast with jonathan bailor was kind of...lame and uninformative. how much of my time did i waste listening to those guys talk about...internet trolls? why is that even an issue? and why spend so much time bashing the idea of counting calories? sure, maybe there are some OCD calorie restrictors out there that need to be reminded to take a chill pill, and yeah we all get it, not all calories are equal, but they still always acknowledge to some small extent in passing that "calories DO matter...", the question is, how much do they matter and in what ways? there was really no talk of that, which would actually be way more useful. i mean, this is from a guy who is all about "biohacking" and "quanitifying" and "tracking", surely he can at least acknowledge that there are some uses to tracking your calories and/or intentionally altering caloric intake for specific biological effects (aka biohacking). just because you want to push this idea that quality trumps quality (which may be true) doesn't mean tracking and manipulating quantity isn't a useful endeavor, at least for brief periods. and while hunger should ideally guide our intake, i don't think its always the most useful gauge because so many factors can effect it to make us eat too much or not enough - psychological factors, time constraints, social factors, etc.