Testing My Blood

So I'm gonna get tested. Just thought I would run it by you folks first and se if you have any good ideas and if you could help me complete what I should request for.

Basic test:

Blood status

Liver status

Kidney function

Cholesterol

HDL

LDL

Triglycerides

SR

Calcium

Sodium

potassium

Albumin

Bilirubin

Uric acid

Iron

Blood sugar

What I'm adding:

S-25-OH-vitamin D3 test

S-magnesium test

Hormones (Testosterone test?)

Urine test (ketone, blood, bacteria,pH, white blood count and sugar)

Any thoughts? Should I specify anything special?

Appreciate all help!
Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]

Comments

• I have an appointment to get my blood tested next week (Tuesday, January 15 2013) and they are asking me what I want tested. I am going to use your list as it looks pretty good.
  • You're a good man, Charlie Brown! Both of you!
  • 'Christian wrote:

I have an appointment to get my blood tested next week (Tuesday, January 15 2013) and they are asking me what I want tested. I am going to use your list as it looks pretty good.

I asked to get my blood test at a local clinic. I walked in and gave the nurse the list and she was a bit shocked as most people don't really care about these sort of things. I then told her about my new way of looking at diet and explained as much as I could without going on and on. She then had to check with a doctor to see if it was approved or not as the health care system in Ireland requires this I guess. He approved most of them and I should get a full break down this week.

I was also surprised at how interested the nurse was in the whole subject. She kept asking me about everything and was totally intrigued by the whole concept. I wrote down a few links for her to look up. Not what I expected in rural Ireland.

I have a couple results back but not the full list yet. A friend of mine was able to see my numbers on the system and text them to me but I still need to schedule an appointment to get a full break down from my doctor. I only have some cholesterol numbers. I don't actually know what the numbers were before as my doctor just said "your cholesterol is normal". That was over a year ago. When I meet with him later this week I hope to get a full break down from a year ago and from last week.

Here is what my friend said:

"Got your bloods. All good except cholesterol.

Cholesterol - 6.3 (normal = 0 - 5.2)

LDL 4.48 (normal = 0 - 3.5)"

My wife was expecting it to be worse. I will post the actual numbers as soon as I get more.
  • edited January 2013
    Looking at the detailed report now. This is the first time I have seen a detailed report of my blood. Usually a doctor will give me a summary. This is all very new to me.

I am 39 years old, I currently weigh 242lbs and I am 6 ft 1in tall. I am still obese but losing weight steadily. I was at 281 in August and started a BP diet in November 2012.

Cholesterol 6.3 (high) [0.0 - 5.2]

Triglyceride 1.32 [0.4 - 2.3]

HDL 1.30 [0.9 - 1.45]

LDL 4.48 (high) [0.0 - 3.5]

Iron 21.3 [10.6-28.3]

Unbound IBC 34.8 [19.7-66.2]

TIBC 56.1 [40.8-76.6]

Iron saturation 38 [15-50]

Vitamin D 31 ng/ml [30-100 = Sufficient]

Vitamin B12 423 pg/ml [189-883]

Ferritin 249.3 [22.8-274.7]

FBC

WBC 6.39 [4.0 - 11]

RBC 5.28 [4.5-6.5]

Hb 15 [13-18]

Hct .44 [.40-.54]

MCV 83 [78-98]

MCH 28.4 [27.5-31.5]

MCHC 34.2 [30.0-35.0]

RDW 13.6 [11.5-14.5]

PLT 230 [140-450]

DIFF

Abs Neut 3.36 [2.0-7.5]

Abs Lymph 2.31 [1.5-3.5]

Abs Mono 0.56 [0.2-0.60]

Abs Eosin 0.15 [0.02-0.60]

Abs Baso 0.01 [0.00-0.10]

Plasma Glucose, Fasting - 5.3 [3.9-6.2]

HbA1c IFCC 40 [19-40]

HbA1c DCCT derived 5.8 [3.9-5.9]

Thyroid Profile

Free T4 11.2

TSH 1.07
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    Are your cholesterol ratios? I'm not familiar with the point system.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    'Christian wrote:

Vitamin D 31 ng/ml [30-100 = Sufficient]

Vitamin B12 423 pg/ml [189-883]
    Up your Vit D supplementation until you reach at least 50ng/ml (retest in a few months), then back off on the dose so you stay in 50-80 range. In your case I would also add B12 to your vit stack. Can't comment on the rest.
  • To lower your Ferritin level give blood a couple of times a year.
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. I will try your suggestions and keep testing in a few months.

In regards to the blood donation. I am living in Ireland but as I am an American who spent a considerable amount of time in America, they won't take my blood here. I could just get some taken off me as my wife does this from time to time. She has Hemochromotosis and her body is unable to process iron properly. Seems like a real waste of good blood if you ask me but oh well, rules are rules.

I was wondering about my D intake and thought I might need more. Just afraid of taking too much.

Rod, I too am not familiar with the point system or the other way for that matter as this was my first blood test result. My wife, who is a nurse, is telling me to just move the point over two spaces to get the same values.
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful
    Vit A counteracts Hypervitaminosis D image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

No sorcery, just science. 

• My goal is to lose weight and as much body fat as possible. I am currently 6 foot 1 inch tall and at 237 lbs and hope to get down to around 200 or less is possible. When I started BP I was at 270lbs (284lbs at my heaviest in August 2012).

I just met with my Nutritionist again, I have been meeting with her every 3-6 months for a couple years with very little success until recently. She was introduced to the BulletProof way of life by me in November about 6 weeks after started. She was curious yet skeptical but supportive as it was working for me and I felt great and she could tell I was learning about my body and how food was affecting my body, finally.

After meeting today and looking at my blood test she is now concerned that my cholesterol is too high. We compared tests from 2011 and my recent test above and it did increase and is now just outside the normal range on all levels. She was so concerned that she pulled in my doctor and they both had a talk with me and told me about the risks as they are legally supposed to do. Now I am not that worried about this but I know my wife will be when she finds out.

We all agreed to continue with the diet and test my blood again in 6 weeks as that would put me well past the 3 month mark and my body should have adjusted to this by then, I hope.

I am wondering if there is anything I might be missing from my diet that would help me reduce my cholesterol?

Should I be worried?

I have read that others have also had an increase within the first three months but wondering if this is normal and expected.

I have only just received some MCT oil which I plan on using instead of 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil each day, this may help. I may need to adjust my supplements and increase my exercise more.

I am pretty religious about adding all I eat and do to myfitnesspal so feel free to take a look and help me tweak it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/christiangehrke

I appreciate any input.
  • I just found this thread with a lot of information so I am going to start here first.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2120-cholesterol-way-up-and-ratios-down-on-strict-bulletproof-diet/
  • 'Christian wrote:

We all agreed to continue with the diet and test my blood again in 6 weeks as that would put me well past the 3 month mark and my body should have adjusted to this by then, I hope.

I like the fact they agreed to this. I'd expect them to simply yell at you and said they were gonna tie you to a gurney and force fed you stuff until the numbers drop to their liking.

I wish I could provide feedback on what is going on and what to do, but I am too new to have a valuable opinion.
    'Christian wrote:
    I am pretty religious about adding all I eat and do to myfitnesspal so feel free to take a look and help me tweak it.

http://www.myfitness...christiangehrke

I will start using this tool, I like what it does. And kudos for tracking this way, it is very useful information.