Best, Most Accurate Sleep Tracking Technology

edited April 2015 in Sleep

Hi everyone,

Huge fan of the forum. Read lots of thread. So much great info. 

But I've had trouble finding information on the best and most accurate sleep tracker. I know Dave recommends Sleep Cycle and I think it's pretty good. 

But what should I buy if I want all or most of the features of the Sleep Cycle app, but something even more accurate. I'd love to know the exact amount of time I spend in deep sleep, and then also be able to plug in supplements or habits that may be helping or harming my sleep and getting feedback on that.

I've done some research and I've come across things like MyBasis, MisFit, Jawbone, Pebble, Hello Sense, etc. 

I don't really care as much if I get something that tracks my heart rate and activity levels (although that would be nice to have as well).

I really just want the best and most accurate technology for tracking and optimizing my sleep!

Any advice is appreciated :)

Comments

• I would hold out for Beddit Smart, I have the original one now and it does a nice job. However the new Beddit Smart will be more accurate and will not require nightly bluetooth connection.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited April 2015

I'd love to know the exact amount of time I spend in deep sleep

Short of EEG, I don't think there are reliable measures. I have a couple nights of Sleep Cycle + Zeo data I will whack together in photoshop and post when I have a chance, but essentially it shows that motion+sound detection is woefully inadequate, specifically for deep sleep. Pulse might be better..? 

• Ok thanks for responding. I haven't heard of "Beddit Smart." I've heard a lot of people mention Beddit, but there seems to be a lot of mixed reviews. 

When is Beddit Smart set to be released?

I've been leaning towards Basis or Jawbone Up24, as they both sound pretty accurate and give you a breakdown of hours spent in deep vs. light. 

This doctor seemed to be really impressed with Basis: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-christopher-winter/sleep-tips_b_4792760.html

• edited April 2015

Short of EEG, I don't think there are reliable measures. I have a couple nights of Sleep Cycle + Zeo data I will whack together in photoshop and post when I have a chance, but essentially it shows that motion+sound detection is woefully inadequate, specifically for deep sleep. Pulse might be better..? 

Yeah that's why I'm wondering if one of the wrist trackers that measure pulse would be more accurate than Sleep Cycle.

I'm trying to track supplements and how they affect my sleep, and I don't like how Sleep Cycle docks sleep quality points if I'm really busy and have to reduce my sleep quantity. Because then it tells me certain supplements are negatively affecting my sleep, even though they aren't. For example, magnesium isn't harming my sleep quality. But when I take it before sleeping just 5 hours, Sleep Cycle will dock points from magnesium. 

• I would hold out for Beddit Smart, I have the original one now and it does a nice job. However the new Beddit Smart will be more accurate and will not require nightly bluetooth connection.

Ok thanks for responding. I haven't heard of "Beddit Smart." I've heard a lot of people mention Beddit, but there seems to be a lot of mixed reviews. 

When is Beddit Smart set to be released?

I've been leaning towards Basis or Jawbone Up24, as they both sound pretty accurate and give you a breakdown of hours spent in deep vs. light. 

This doctor seemed to be really impressed with Basis: http://www.huffingto..._b_4792760.html

• Wow, I just looked that up. Sounds awesome. I went ahead and bought the Basis Peak after work though. I have some time to test it out and could always return it if I don't like it or want to wait for the Neuro:on. 

• I use Sleep Cycle and it seems to track pretty well with my sleeping experience. And for me the ability to see how different variables impact my sleep quality is really important. Do I think it's super accurate? No. But I think it's generally close enough to provide valuable information.

I'm very interested in the Jawbone UP3, due out in about 6 weeks or so. One of the few fitness trackers I'd actually wear, most look like ass.

Will start another thread on this at some point, but one thing I love about Sleep Cycle is how the sleep notes functionality helps me identify what is really helping sleep. For example, honey and/or collagen protein and magnesium are suggestions Dave gives but for me those all test negative. I sleep worse when I take those. Have tried them together, then separately. What works best for me is an herbal supplement called Inner Peace, essential oils (i use a couple different blends from doTerra), a tablespoon of coconut oil and surprisingly a shot of whiskey sipped that evening while hanging out with my wife. Always heard alcohol negatively effected sleep quality but the biggest positive variable for my sleep is the whiskey. I just pour one shot most nights and sip it over about 20 minutes, then take the other stuff as well. Would have no idea about all this data without the app.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred
    The neuroon looks interesting. Was anyone backing it and can provide insight?

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred
    I wish whiskey improved my sleep quality you legend ;)

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited April 2015

Zeo / Sleep Cycle App comparison. Sleep Cycle calls anything in the lower third of the graph "deep sleep." Not psyched, and why I don't trust motion/sound-based sleep tracking systems all that much:

0qwUfNn.jpg?1

• Zeo / Sleep Cycle App comparison. Sleep Cycle calls anything in the lower third of the graph "deep sleep." Not psyched, and why I don't trust motion/sound-based sleep tracking systems all that much:

0qwUfNn.jpg?1

I absolutely agree and that is why I sought out better options. I am extremely impressed with my new Basis Peak watch. It is much more accurate than Sleep Cycle, especially since I have a cat that probably moves around in my bed and screwed up my score.

What the Basis Peak has confirmed for me is that I don’t need to get 8 hours of sleep every night to stay healthy and feel healthy. 

I looked into how much REM and deep sleep people should get each night. Good sleep is 20% and 15% respectively. More is obviously better, but that's a good baseline. So that’s about 1.5 hours of REM and about 1 hour of deep sleep if you consider the recommendation to get 8 hours of sleep each night.

So last night I took all of my really effective sleep supplements and then the watch tracked my sleep. I was hardly ever in light sleep. I would jump out of it quickly into deep or REM.

And 5 hours into my sleep, I already had 1.5 of REM and 1 of deep. And then 6.5 hours into my sleep, I had 2 of REM and 2.5 of deep. 

Anyway, that’s a longwinded way of saying that I really only need 5 hours of sleep to get the same quality of sleep that most people get without supplements and hacks. And 6.5 hours if I want to go above and beyond normal. I was skeptical of Dave's claims that you can hack your sleep, get 5 hours each night and be healthy. But I'm convinced now. The healthier you are and by using appropriate supplementation, you can definitely do it.
  • ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I am extremely impressed with my new Basis Peak watch. It is much more accurate than Sleep Cycle, especially since I have a cat that probably moves around in my bed and screwed up my score.

What the Basis Peak has confirmed for me is that I don’t need to get 8 hours of sleep every night to stay healthy and feel healthy. 

Why do you think the Basis is more accurate? If Sleep Cycle told you one thing, and Basis told you another, both could be equally incorrect as compared to an actual middle ground. Basis is motion + heart rate, yes? I'm not convinced heart rate is all that great at distinguishing between deep and light sleep. 

I would revisit your conclusion that you only need 5 hours of sleep after a couple weeks of sleeping that way. If the Basis is wrong, even by a little, you'd be impacting your health. 

• Why do you think the Basis is more accurate? If Sleep Cycle told you one thing, and Basis told you another, both could be equally incorrect as compared to an actual middle ground. Basis is motion + heart rate, yes? I'm not convinced heart rate is all that great at distinguishing between deep and light sleep. 

I would revisit your conclusion that you only need 5 hours of sleep after a couple weeks of sleeping that way. If the Basis is wrong, even by a little, you'd be impacting your health. 

Read this: http://www.huffingto..._b_4792760.html

The sleep doctor was shocked at how accurate it was. 

And research study through a third-party showed that it's 96% accurate: http://258b1w36g2mmq...p-Analysis1.pdf

And this review: http://venturebeat.c...ur-sleep-hours/

• I'm open to all feedback regarding this though. If it appears that I'm getting plenty of deep and REM sleep earlier on in my sleep, does that mean I don't necessarily need to be sleeping 8 hours?

• edited May 2015

I have narcolepsy and have tested a bunch of iPhone sleep apps while using different sleep supplements, a night out drinking, nothing and my knock you out cold/deep sleep medicine Xyrem/GHB/central nervous system depressant. I have found that the free sleepbot app is extremely accurate. I also love the slow waking alarm and 30 min window sensitive to what state of sleep your in option. Just curious if any of you compared sleepbot to basis? I know Basis has more perks but in general curious. Even more curious to try Basis.

• I think this is a pretty good overview of the sleep trackers that are currently available on the market. I've personally tried the jawbone UP24, Fitbit Charge and Beddit (the original one, not the new smart one). I think the biggest value with Beddit and Fitbit charge is the retention. When I had a jawbone and Beddit I forgot to put it in sleep mode so my sleep data was sporadic. 

Newer products like Fitbit charge and Luna automatically track your sleep and I think that's a big plus and helps with the overall sleep tracking accuracy question. 

• Withings Aura...

http://www2.withings.com/us/en/products/aura/

Keeps track of multiple matrices with a pad under the matress...and the alarm function is cool, too....

Love mine.