Uber/lyft/etc.

i've had quite a few friends tell me about Uber and suggested i should try it, so i signed up, had them send me a phone, and went out for my first drive today. I made $21 in a little over an hour on a thursday afternoon, not bad! i like the convenience of being able to just decide to work whenever i want for however long i want. if you're looking for extra income, it might be worth trying out. or if you like the idea of getting rides without dealing with cabs, also worth trying. 

any of  you have experience with this stuff? any tips/advice? i've heard lyft pays more but i think i've also heard that Uber gets more rides. it seems like there are a kajillion articles/videos of people bashing these companies but none of them have really made any points that seemed very convincing to me, and if i cared about those kind of articles i wouldn't be drinking bulletproof coffee, haha. 

and of course i might as well include a little shameless self promotion - if any of  you wanna try it out as a rider you can get a free ride up to $20, just send me a PM and i'll send you my referral code. and if any of you decide to try driving for uber and you use that code it'll help me out too. 

i'd just post it on here but i feel like that would come across as a bit more spammy...

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Don't forget to subtract gas and wear and tear on the car from your hourly earnings. 

Do they cover your insurance? If you crash on the job, might your personal insurance not pay out, since you weren't using the car for personal reasons?

Does Uber have a minimum amount you need to work? I'm a weirdo who loves driving in the snow, and the thought has occurred to me I could get paid – surge pricing! – to get to drive people around in snow storms. But I think I'd really only be interested 5-10 nights a year. 

• yeah, even when you subtract gas it is still a good chunk of cash. wear and tear is kind of hard to quantify though...but yesterday i ended up working 4 hours and made about as much as i'd make in a full 8 hour shift at my job, and that's just on a thursday morning/night without any surge pricing. so far so good!

i haven't really looked into the ins and outs of the insurance aspect yet...

i don't think there's a minimum amount, or at least if there is they don't make it a point to emphasize it.

• You can definitely make some good money with either company out here in LA. I have friends who work for Lyft and they pull in around $2200 a month which pays their rent and bills with a bit leftover (LA is an expensive place). But with location you get traffic, more accident prone situations, and if you drive on weekend nights the occasional drunk puker in the back seat. 

It looks like you are on the east coast so it may be different over there but Uber has become the new Taxi service over here, so its nearly impossible to be a driver for them, because they screen you like crazy. I guess they like the stereotypical taxi driver. So that's why i advocate Lyft hands down.

Just my opinion from the west coast...

• Ah, Midwest coast actually. There really wasn't much of a screening process for me at all, it was pretty much a background check and pics of my license, insurance, and registration...and it seems to be super popular here. I get requests left and right, even in the middle of the day on weekdays. Tonight will be my first weekend night experience, so I'm reeeeally hoping to make it through the night with a clean back seat and a bunch of money! Gonna start after I do my workout and eat some dinner...
  • Nice! I may have to give it a try, could always use the extra cash. 

Your doing 5x5 right? how do you feel driving around for hours without using your legs.

I find myself going super stiff if i stay seated to long, but also I just started.

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015

yeah, i just started it though so it's not exactly kicking my ass yet. the sitting really is the hardest part of the Uber thing. someone needs to invent standing cars! but yeah, lots of hip stretching is totally called for today. actually i'm gonna spend a good chunk of my day crawling around on the ground looking for morel mushrooms so that should help stretch things out. 

also, it's kind of funny how many drunk girls comment on my orange glasses. i was expecting jokes about bono and construction work but i've gotten nothing but compliments on how hot my ...plastic..orange...$7 UVEX glasses make me look. haha. 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

yeah, i just started it though so it's not exactly kicking my ass yet. the sitting really is the hardest part of the Uber thing. someone needs to invent standing cars! but yeah, lots of hip stretching is totally called for today. actually i'm gonna spend a good chunk of my day crawling around on the ground looking for morel mushrooms so that should help stretch things out. 

also, it's kind of funny how many drunk girls comment on my orange glasses. i was expecting jokes about bono and construction work but i've gotten nothing but compliments on how hot my ...plastic..orange...$7 UVEX glasses make me look. haha. 

Aren't you concerned that you would get too sleepy during driving (from the glasses)?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Nah, they help me sleep better but they don't put me to sleep. And they make the bright lights a bit less abrasive. Only downside is reading house numbers in darker neighborhoods, but those are rare.
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

i've gotten nothing but compliments on how hot my ...plastic..orange...$7 UVEX glasses make me look.

Lol! I guess chicks dig it when you channel Dave Asprey :cool:

Glad the Uber thing is working out for you. It's getting more popular around here and I've considered trying it myself. A co-worker of mine, a nurse, does it part-time on his off days. He was passing out business cards with some referral code on 'em or something. Pretty snazzy. Provided there's no issues with insurance it sounds like an awesome way to earn some extra scratch! Hope your back seat stays clean!

I really love these kinds of start-ups that shake up age-old industries like the taxi industry. Hooray for the free market! (until government steps in to regulate it and mess it up somehow lol)

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• So far my car's still clean, I'm making 2x what I make at my other job, and just about every rider tells me how awesome uber is and how much better they are than taxis, or Lyft even.

One of my riders was telling me I can get all these tax breaks on anything related to my car...gonna have to look into that.
  • So hows the Ubering going? ive been slacking with signing up just thinking of the wear and tear on my car.

Are you saving all your gas and future repair bills for tax reimbursement?

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

so far so good! here are my only complaints so far:

-there was a little bit of a letdown on my first payment - since i'm renting a phone from them, they charge a $200 deposit, which they take out in $50 increments from your weekly payments and they took 2 of those from my first payment, plus the $10 rental fee, so they took $110 from my  first payment. that, and paying $40 a month to rent a phone that is only good for ubering seems like a waste so i'm just gonna upgrade to an iphone...i'm keeping my eye on craigslist and ebay for a used iphone 5 (5s preferrably) 32gb, waiting for something that is around $250 or lower. if any of you tech geeks are upgrading to an iphone 6 and wanna hook a fellow bulletproofer up, send me a pm!

-i have had a couple really slow mornings, in which case i just go home and do some stretching or foam rolling until i get a ride request. 

-trying to find addresses and waiting for people in spots that aren't really parking spots can be annoying, i'm getting better at it though.

-sometimes the app fucks up and gives me lame directions, and has even sent me to the wrong place a couple times. usually not too far off, but i did end up cancelling a ride because of it once and i think it resulted in my rating going down (it's already back up though). 

-sitting so much sucks, and i am probably doing a little too much bladder endurance training. 

-some people just have a shitty vibe, and i get eager for them to get out of my car sometimes. 

other than those minor caveats, i'm really enjoying it. it gives me an excuse to meet a bunch of random people, which i don't really get much otherwise. of course most people i want nothing to do with, but i can handle hanging with them for a brief car ride, and its a learning experience! i mean, i'm used to working with mentally disabled people, so i am comfortable with awkward interactions. some people have nothing to say really, but most people chat me up quite a bit. everything from snobby businessmen to drunk college kids to just local folks gettin to their jobs. last weekend was the big berkshire hathaway shareholder meeting weekend so i was mostly driving drunk rich dudes to the strip club (NONE of them tip, but it kept me busy). the local down-to-earth folks are cool though and usually shake my hand and tell me it was nice meeting me and stuff. some of the more experienced uber users are like "whoa, who's this guy..with the orange glasses and ethnic music and smelling like essential oils in a green subaru...". but yeah, i've had all kinds of interesting conversations. i met this dude yesterday who told me he was uber's #1 rider in omaha, and the #7 rider in the world? and that he was one of creators of paypal and some other service called proxibid. i thought he was bullshitting me but i just googled and saw his pic on a linkedin profile. 

the money is pretty good for the most part, and i think the more i do it the better i'll get at maximizing the potential. just knowing when/where to be online and when to go offline can  change things quite a bit. if it weren't for the phone rental thing, my last payment would've averaged around $20 per hour, which is a fuckton more than i make at my other job. that doesn't include tips, or gas, but those 2 kind of cancel each other out more or less usually. it helped that on saturday we had a bunch of thunderstorms, late at night, during the berkshire weekend, and i was downtown, so rates went way up. i also have earned my first "rewards" which are discounts on car maintenance and phone bills. i just ordered a bunch of business cards with my referral code, which i think should be handy. if anyone is considering signing up to be a driver, they can use my code and i'll get a bonus, or if someone signs up as a rider they get a free ride up to $20 and i get $5.  (my code is 85otc if any of you want in on that). 

i haven't started tracking my mileage or anything yet, i still haven't fully looked into what sort of tracking is necessary. i mean, the app does have a history of all the trips i've taken, even a map that shows exactly where i drove. but yeah i should get on the ball with that.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited May 2015

(NONE of them tip, but it kept me busy)

that doesn't include tips, or gas, but those 2 kind of cancel each other out more or less usually.

OK, what's the deal with this? When a friend first described Uber to me, he pitched it as: "what's great is that tips are built in, so you don't need to carry cash." I took one Uber ride to the airport a while back, and it didn't seem like there was a way to tip through the app on my credit card, I only had a $20, and when I told the driver it was my first ride she waited until we almost got to the destination, then started telling me how "Uber tells riders the tip is built in, but really they take it out of our checks..." which felt, to me, like trying to get some extra money out of me at the last second.

All my Uber-using friends here in Boston say "no, you never tip an Uber driver, it's built in, and that one driver was messing with you."

Now it's sounding like you expect tips. 

Is this U.S. style, like 15-20% is just expected, or Euro style where a small tip is for exceptional service? Do I need to carry cash? 

• Uber tells us to always remind riders that tipping is not required, which is what I do. I've never used it as a rider but I don't think you can tip electronically. One guy told me he DID get to set a tip amount in the app or something but then I had a rider right after that who had the same experience you did where he said he wanted to tip but didn't have cash. I never expect tips but I DO get them. I give the obligatory "you don't have to" then kindly accept, cause I do really appreciate it. I've gotten $10 tips on more than one occasion, once from a sober person!
  • Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man
    edited May 2015

A helpful tip on "estimating" costs is to use the federal deductible amount for mileage on personal car usage. If you're filing this as income and thus paying all your required taxes on it, religiously track your mileage and deduct that times the mileage rate (currently over 50 cents per mile) for a work expense on your federal tax return. Also, keep in mind if you make enough money quarterly tax payments to the IRS or state DoR may want estimated payments. At least worth checking into if you haven't already.

Do you still have to have a black car?

• yeah i plan on going the standard mileage route vs. actual costs, seems a lot easier...still haven't figured out the best way to track it as far as formatting though or if i need to track each trip or if i can just track the mileage for the time that i'm online. like, does the mileage i spend driving around looking for riders count or is it just when i have someone in my car? i'm probably gonna talk to our family tax guy soon just to be sure. 

nope, don't have to have a black car. there is another service called "uber black" where they do use fancy black cars. i'm using my green 2006 subaru outback, which is probably good cause it is easyfor people to find. i wish i would've been doing this back when there was snow on the ground...

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man

I did some looking, and it looks like my Civic Si is not eligible for Uber, but would work for Lyft...as long as it isn't too obnoxious for the test drive. It's a sedan, it's clean and recent enough to meet all their criteria, but it's got some rumble to it being the "sport" model. Always wondered about the ability to make good impressions on people with over-the-top quality service and attention to detail. Could be a good opportunity for serendipitous conversations that could lead to who-knows-what.

• ^ I actually got picked up in a civic sedan, but not sure if it was the Si.  it was manual. surprised they get that specific.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Local IRS is trying to kill Uber in Hungary, fits well with their overcontrolling activity of making it impossible for people to get extra income. They already banned it in Germany. I hope it has a better future in the US.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• lame. yeah i hope so too, seems like it's doing fine so far. 

also, an uber rider gave me the best orange glasses comment last night, "reminds me of hunter s. thompson!" 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I hear Uber isn't allowing drivers or riders to carry guns anymore. That's rather unwise, IMO. I certainly hope all of the criminals thinking about using this service get the memo so that they know to leave their guns at home.

Still driving for 'em, drummin? How are things?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• "Anymore"? So guns were allowed? Wonder if that applies to straight razors...

Yeah, still ubering. In fact the college World Series has been goin on, which is the busiest time of the year for uber here, although I missed the 2 biggest nights cause I was stuck at my other job. Still no puke in my car, and no ones been a total asshole (although I did have to refuse some drunk assholes trying to fit 6 people in my car).

I thought it was funny when uber came up on the podcast with dr. Mercola, I wonder if Dave got any cash for pluggin uber. Yo Dave! Next time you're in omaha give me a heads up, I'll uber ya from the airport!
  • my latest uber story: i picked this guy up today and he says its his first uber ride, he's from california. i asked him what brings him to omaha, he says he's writing a novel that takes place here. he asks if i've heard of hunter s. thompson, and if i've seen the movie Where the Buffalo Roam, and i'm like "yeah!", and he's like "i wrote that". 

yep, it was this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kaye_(screenwriter)

AND he gave a tip. 

• I have never used this before, but I do think that it's a good way to just make some extra money. And like you said it's also a good way to get around without having to deal with a cab and all that.