What To Eat When Stomach/gut Is Upset?

Hello Bulletproofers!

A brief back-story:  After living the BP life over quite some time now, I decided to go on Dr. Sara Gottfried's detox.  A part of that is drinking her protein shakes + fiber supplement.  (ingredients of shake are here: https://gottfriedinstitute.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203476607-Shake-Ingredients-, ingredients of fiber are here: https://gottfriedinstitute.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203477307-Can-you-give-me-a-list-of-ingredients-for-each-of-the-products-in-the-Deluxe-Detox-Kit- )  I did it diligently for two weeks, and it made my gut increasingly more sore and distended, as well as making me go to the bathroom all the time.  It felt like the symptoms for IBS.  So I stopped them, and now have been two days without.  However, everything I eat now upsets my stomach.  Everything.  The moment I eat, I get gas and pain and bloating.  Could I have hurt my gut??  And if so, what should I eat to fix it?  Tomorrow begins the dairy free portion of the detox, so dairy is out including butter.  (Ghee is ok though.)  Also, I am making the choice to quit eggs.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I am taking berberine and L-glutamine to try to heal it, as well as activated charcoal between meals and aloe vera powder.  But any suggestions are welcomed.

Comments

• Back when I had some serious gut problems, I could hardly eat anything. In fact, the ONLY thing I could eat without a major revolt is white rice with ghee, and broth (I highly recommend properly made broth, paramount in healing my gut). I sorta made my own protocol, and it consisted a lot of homemade broth, one meal of white rice, ghee, and lightly cooked kale (so I don't die of malnutrition). I did that for two days, and on the third day, I had a nice full-spectrum BP-ish meal (beef, spinach, onions, with a very small side of nuts, avocado, and blueberries). Didn't tolerate that super well, but it's better than starving. It kind of hurt my gut, so I naturally fell into a fast the next day, with a pinch of rice before bed. I did the rice and ghee thing early the next day, and very slowly started to eat normally over the next few days. Back to normal.

The lesson here is, you may have to scale your diet back in quantity and variety IMMENSELY. Less is more. It's a scary balancing act of avoiding malnutrition AND damaging your GI, and there's a very real possibility you can hurt yourself going too far in any direction. In any case, you're better off eating what you eat normally, but less of it. Another factor people forget about is the sheer volume of food you're eating. Pressing up against your GI is undesirable when it's damaged.

Also, don't discount an infection. The caloric restriction/fasting may make an infection worse, maybe better. I don't know, but it's best to be conservative.

I don't mean to worry you! It sounds like your gut isn't horrible, or at least hasn't been for a huge amount of time. But having gone through gut problems, it's a mud pit you don't want to get into. Prevent!!

• Thank you so much for your thoughtful and thorough response!

I am feeling better by incriments.  Tonight, I took some of Chris Kresser's supplements -- Paleologix -- and I feel better.  Also, I had an acupuncture treatment, and I am hoping to keep getting better.

I tolerate rice well, but right now I am in a 'grain free' part of this detox, so it's not on the table.  I have a little bit of sweet potato or some such in the evenings, and it's fine.  What I don't seem to do so well with are vegetables and proteins -- the moment I put some in my mouth, I get sudden stomach pains.  (Upper stomach, before it even reaches the gut.)  But the Paleologix helped tonight, so I am hoping it will continue.

A follow-up question:  Is magnezium citrate still a good idea for intestinal irrigation given this state?  To reiterate, I've had a fairly healthy gut until two weeks ago.  I think it is just an irritation rather than anything deeper, due to this protein and fiber mix I was taking.  (Dr. Sara's Hormone Reset Shake + Fiber mix.  It did NOT agree with me.)  So now I just want to calm it all down and chill it out.

I like your idea of just eating less.  I will implement it tomorrow, but I have a work-out scheduled, so I must eat something.

Thank you again!

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Are you sure you want to go on with eating that "detox" mix that did this to you? I didn't check it out but so far you only reported bad effects.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• I looked at the ingredients in the shake, and that inulin (chicory root) would do me in. I eat homemade gelatin snacks when my gut is irritated. It's filling and soothing.

My go-to recipe;

2 cups water + 2 TBSP grass fed gelatin (beef) on medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir regularly. While the gelatin is heating, in a pyrex dish squeeze 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice. Add 1 tsp lemon rind and stevia (2-3 packets). Add the gelatin mixture to the pyrex dish, stir well, then refrigerate. It's refreshing and soothing.

• Are you sure you want to go on with eating that "detox" mix that did this to you? I didn't check it out but so far you only reported bad effects.

I quit the shakes three days ago.  Once I realized they are really making me sick, (rather than just the detox speaking,) I stopped them.

Berry, I didn't think inulin would be a problem for me -- I eat veggies that contain it, and I thought it was good for the gut!!  But either way, I stopped the shake -- for whatever reason, it was bad for me.  Maybe it was too much too fast -- every morning, mixed with vegetables AND a fiber supplement…  Anyway, done with that.

Thank you for the gelatin recipe, but I am kind of grossed out by it, (being vegetarian who eats fish, I can do collagen but gelating is just…  Too gelatinous for me.)  :)  Also, I am supposed to be  entirely meatless for the duration of this detox.

But I am happy to report, I am feeling slightly better after discontinuing the shakes.  Yesterday I had a little bit of coconut/parsnip/sunchoke non-bread rolls I made for myself, and salad, and fish -- and I feel ok.  That's a really good sign.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred
    edited April 2015
    Double post, my apologizes.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

Unfortunately bulletproof can have a bad side effect of pruning the gut and allowing stealth infections to become opportunistic. Sounds like you ve got a bit of work to do before it gets out of hand. I d recommend sending John a pm.

Guitarist:

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Unfortunately bulletproof can have a bad side effect of pruning the gut and allowing stealth infections to become opportunistic. Sounds like you ve got a bit of work to do before it gets out of hand. I d recommend sending John a pm.

I am confused about this:  How can Bulletproof "prune the gut" and allow infections to become opportunistic?  I have been under the impression that BP is precisely to reduce inflammation and heal the gut.

edited April 2015

I am confused about this: How can Bulletproof "prune the gut" and allow infections to become opportunistic? I have been under the impression that BP is precisely to reduce inflammation and heal the gut.

I was under the impression BP was more targeted at mental performance but that's beside the point. All low carb diets can have this pruning effect mostly due to starvation. Paul jaminet has written extensively on this topic, I'd start there. Chris kresser has also written on it I believe. You didn't really give a lot of detail in terms of what your personal BP diet / supplements / protocols consist of so I could be way in left field, but as a hunch id still wager it would be a good topic to investigate.

Guitarist:

• Ah, you're talking about carb deprivation.  Dave talks about it at great lengths too, and I do read Chris Kresser, as well as Alan Christianson, and such people -- about the importance of carbs for gut health both in terms of starches and making mucous, etc..  I do eat carbs -- aside from my regular re-feeds, I also do add little bits of carbs to each day.  Carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, parsnips, things like that.  Not enough to get me out of ketosis, but enough to keep my body working.

• So just to clarify, by pruning, we mean autophagy, homeostasis, and like processes?

• ^  I think by pruning, they meant they would become prune-like.  :)

• Have you tried Sequential Eating? I started doing this (and SLOWWWWIIINNNGGG DOWWWWNNNN my eating), and it helped me get rid of nearly all of my gas & pain & bloating (extremely minor.. only certain veggies make me not happy). 

It might be worthwhile to check into that. 1 food at a time, in the right order. Really helped me. :)

Hello Bulletproofers!

A brief back-story:  After living the BP life over quite some time now, I decided to go on Dr. Sara Gottfried's detox.  A part of that is drinking her protein shakes + fiber supplement.  (ingredients of shake are here: https://gottfriedinstitute.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203476607-Shake-Ingredients-, ingredients of fiber are here: https://gottfriedinstitute.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203477307-Can-you-give-me-a-list-of-ingredients-for-each-of-the-products-in-the-Deluxe-Detox-Kit- )  I did it diligently for two weeks, and it made my gut increasingly more sore and distended, as well as making me go to the bathroom all the time.  It felt like the symptoms for IBS.  So I stopped them, and now have been two days without.  However, everything I eat now upsets my stomach.  Everything.  The moment I eat, I get gas and pain and bloating.  Could I have hurt my gut??  And if so, what should I eat to fix it?  Tomorrow begins the dairy free portion of the detox, so dairy is out including butter.  (Ghee is ok though.)  Also, I am making the choice to quit eggs.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I am taking berberine and L-glutamine to try to heal it, as well as activated charcoal between meals and aloe vera powder.  But any suggestions are welcomed.

• Thank you Garrett!  I will look into Sequential Eating -- I have never heard of it.

So just to clarify, by pruning, we mean autophagy, homeostasis, and like processes?

You ll start randomly shitting out entire prunes. No by pruning I mean loss of diversity in the species and subspecies of the gut.

Guitarist:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file