Good Job, Chipotle

In case you haven't heard, Chipotle has now cut GMO food sources entirely: http://chipotle.com/gmo

They're still working on eliminating grain-fed beef, but hats off to Chipotle. Hopefully others can follow suit.

Tagged:

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Yeah, this is good news. Lots of different announcements from large companies that are deciding not to use antibiotics/GMOs/etc in their products in recent days. Hope the trend continues. Voting with your wallet works wonders!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• A lot of companies are saying they're done using antibitioics but they're actually just quitting using antibiotics that humans use. 

• I love them for that!!! However... could be that only their corn and veg are actually GMO free. I read an article saying their meats (although ethically raised) have had GMO in their food supply.

There was no comment about if their sour cream and cheese cows were raised on GMO free diets or not... I plan to ask them. They have a responsive Q and A situation on their website. 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

There was no comment about if their sour cream and cheese cows were raised on GMO free diets or not... I plan to ask them. They have a responsive Q and A situation on their website.

Not to "get into it", but is there any indication whatsoever in the research that GMO feed in animals could lead to health issues in the people who eat them? GMOs have only been in the food chain since '96 and I do my best to avoid them *most* of the time, but I've seen absolutely zero evidence that GMO feed in animals is gonna lead to bad times for you and me. It's like those posters flipping out over the fact that Kerrygold cows might get a touch of GMO feed in the winter months. It feels like hair-splitting to me.

Like, what's next? We gonna email the guys in charge of Chipotle to make sure that their employees are all certified gluten and GMO-free?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• A lot of companies are saying they're done using antibitioics but they're actually just quitting using antibiotics that humans use. 

Can you expand on that?

Not to "get into it", but is there any indication whatsoever in the research that GMO feed in animals could lead to health issues in the people who eat them? GMOs have only been in the food chain since '96 and I do my best to avoid them *most* of the time, but I've seen absolutely zero evidence that GMO feed in animals is gonna lead to bad times for you and me. It's like those posters flipping out over the fact that Kerrygold cows might get a touch of GMO feed in the winter months. It feels like hair-splitting to me.

Like, what's next? We gonna email the guys in charge of Chipotle to make sure that their employees are all certified gluten and GMO-free?

It's probably best to avoid GMOs the best we can, whether it harms us directly or indirectly, because we can't be too sure about how positive its impact is, but we can tell there are some definite negatives. My answer to this is to buy locally as much as you can, that way you know what you're eating as well supporting sustainability, instead of coming up with a list of questions we'll never find the true answer to. 

• Not to "get into it", but is there any indication whatsoever in the research that GMO feed in animals could lead to health issues in the people who eat them? GMOs have only been in the food chain since '96 and I do my best to avoid them *most* of the time, but I've seen absolutely zero evidence that GMO feed in animals is gonna lead to bad times for you and me. It's like those posters flipping out over the fact that Kerrygold cows might get a touch of GMO feed in the winter months. It feels like hair-splitting to me.

Dave's podcast with the GMO activist guy definitely made me wary of GMO's, did you hear that one? But it's the Roundup pesticide (active ingredient Glyphosate) used with GMO crops that is the bigger concern for me. That stuff is bio-accumulating in the animals eating GMO feed:

http://robynobrien.com/a-former-gmo-scientist-sends-an-open-letter-to-canadas-minister-of-health/

"We learned last year that glyphosate bio-accumulates in animals that eat the plants after they have been sprayed. It accumulates in the lungs, the heart, kidneys, intestine, liver, spleen, muscles, and bones... and chronically ill people have higher residues in their urine than healthy people"

• PS

Just went to the Chipotle FAQ on their website and they had this statement in regards to GMO's and the meats:

"The meat and dairy products we buy come from animals that are not genetically modified. But it is important to note that most animal feed in the U.S. is genetically modified, which means that the meat and dairy served at Chipotle are likely to come from animals given at least some GMO feed. We are working hard on this challenge, and have made substantial progress: for example, the 100% grass-fed beef served in many Chipotle restaurants was not fed GMO grain—or any grain, for that matter. This is an important start, but we recognize that sourcing meat and dairy exclusively from animals never fed GMOs would be a long-term project that would represent further progress in this area."

http://chipotle.com/faq

• PS

Just went to the Chipotle FAQ on their website and they had this statement in regards to GMO's and the meats:

"The meat and dairy products we buy come from animals that are not genetically modified. But it is important to note that most animal feed in the U.S. is genetically modified, which means that the meat and dairy served at Chipotle are likely to come from animals given at least some GMO feed. We are working hard on this challenge, and have made substantial progress: for example, the 100% grass-fed beef served in many Chipotle restaurants was not fed GMO grain—or any grain, for that matter. This is an important start, but we recognize that sourcing meat and dairy exclusively from animals never fed GMOs would be a long-term project that would represent further progress in this area."

http://chipotle.com/faq

Is there any way to find out which stores of the "many Chipotle restaurants" serve 100% grass fed beef?

• Is there any way to find out which stores of the "many Chipotle restaurants" serve 100% grass fed beef?

Call the one in your area.

• Call the one in your area.

You can email them on their website, but I think Ixnay is right.

• You can email them on their website, but I think Ixnay is right.

I did email them and got a quick reply. They said that supply varies and changes so much that they can not tell me which restaurants serve what. He even said that calling the restaurant won't help because they don't even know.

• I did email them and got a quick reply. They said that supply varies and changes so much that they can not tell me which restaurants serve what. He even said that calling the restaurant won't help because they don't even know.

That helps!

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Ill be writing a blog post about Chipotle soon. Glad they are non GMO but some of their food items still have questionable ingredients like sodium benzoate.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com