Apple Watch

So, what is the Bulletproof forums' opinion on the Apple Watch?

Intuitively I am somewhat reluctant to wear electronics that has RF-capability on my person at all times. 

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Are you not already distracted enough by your phone? I am a huge Apple fanboy, but don't think I can get down with smart watches of any brand. Reactivity is the enemy of productivity, being present, paying attention, actually spending time with friends and family, etc. etc. And having shit constantly popping up on a vibrating screen on your wrist can't be good for stress response. Is it my boss? My girlfriend? What does "we need to talk" mean when she also drew a smiley face remotely on my wrist? 

I don't think the current health tracking capabilities are worth all the downsides. They might sell me with live continuous blood sugar and ketone monitoring, or cortisol or something, but I'd prefer that in a standalone tracker. 

xkcd:

watches.png

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Yeah good point. The fact you can more easily put your phone out of sight is a benefit, not a problem that a watch should solve.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

I'm gonna wait for some decent reviews, especially on the case of the upgrades. Don't want to be buying a new one every one or two years like the iPhone. Not sure getting the first gen is ideal in any situation, so really not sure as I'm a big Apple fan boy, so wanna play with the new 'thing'. Been using Apple stuff since 1991 every working day.

Main benefit for me is the workout tracking. If that's good, then I'm probably in. The Heart Rate monitor on my wrist would be great for my training. Have a chest strap, but they need to be too close to the phone and didn't really work that well when I've tried. Interesting to see how the watch works.

I got the Pebble through kickstarter way way back and use it daily, but it's pretty limited. It's cool, but I wouldn't recommend the first gen. I've always used a watch, as straight from school I starting commuting on the trains, so needed to know the time accurately and this pre-dates mobile phones (1989). So I've always worn a watch. Like others, I've found less need for them now with phones, but still wear one out of habit. Pulling my phone out to check the time seems like more work than putting a watch on in the mornings and lifting my wrist! So been hanging on ;-)

Anyway, as a Fanboy I'll probably get one once they're in store to just walk and and buy.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

I think it would be neat to have one. My only concern is having something on your wrist that constantly has a internet connection on it. Probably, not as damaging as a cell phone might be but still. Also, the price is crazy for it.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Going to have a good look while my in the US at the end of this month. If they're available to just walk out the store with, I'll probably be weak and get one. If you still have to pre-order, then I'll be too lazy and stick with the pebble a bit longer.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• GhastlyPrezGhastlyPrez Ghastly Prezence

NOOOOOOOOOOO never apple!

Check out Rufus Lab's smart cuff..thing is a fraction of the cost of the iWatch and has a lot of awesome features. Not to mention the fact that it is Android which will give those of us who are really into modding and hacking a more flexible wearable to toy around with.

• Just bought the base model (sport) at the apple store!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭
    It's a piece of junk. A nice experiment, but a failed one.

• It's a piece of junk. A nice experiment, but a failed one.

That's a review worth of a place on YouTube. I take it you own one?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭
    Nope, and never will. I sit next to a guy at work who has one. The battery doesn't make it past lunch time. They need to really sort out some more powerful batteries before these kind of products are viable.
  • Don't know what the guy at work's doing with his. If I don't use it to track my three cycle rides and 90mins of training, I have over 50% battery left at the end of the day. If I do track (with HRM on) I have around 25% at the end of the day. I've had to top up the charge a couple of times, but it charges real fast.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• After a few more weeks of using the Apple Watch. I'm finding battery life not an issue.

I record over 90mins per day of exercise (sometime broken in 3 or 4 recordings), 3 cycle rides and any long walks all with HRM working. Get all my messages, check the weather and obviously the time. All with sound and haptic on.

Wear the watch from around 6am to 9pm (15hrs) continuously and normally have between 46% and 22% left at 9pm when I take it off and charge it overnight (7hrs sleep minimum).

Haven't really been using siri much, or tried taking calls on it.

But no issues as yet with Battery life. As mention previously, it charges really quickly if you need a top up, which I've only done twice, but didn't really need to.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• I've owned the Apple Watch for a few months now. I find it's much more accurate than my fitbit. Battery life is great. Usually 65% left at the end of the day.

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• What are the pros and cons of the apple watch?

I mean, isn't it just another Iphone, but on your wrist?

• MAGN3T5MAGN3T5
    edited November 2015

Pros

Heart rate tracking

exercise, activity and standing tracking

customizable face to show various bits of information you may want quick access too like the weather, time, news, sunrise/sunset, moon phase, your calendar

Siri right on your wrist

notification you WANT will go right to your wrist (i have most mine turned off)

Cons

taboo to look at your wrist when you get a notification, looks like your impatient or want to leave

heart rate sensor isn't accurate enough to do HRV training, really hope this changes in the future!

price

Thats just my perspective, having owned one since June. Also, i've had zero battery problems. it always lasts a full day and i just charge it at night.