Weather Related Headaches

Hello,... Looking for advise.

I am fairly new to the BP diet & comunity, been following for about 5 weeks now.

My headaches have been plaguing me since I can remember. They can be anywhere from just dull & tolerable to severe to the point of nausea.

Generally they come from 2 known aggravators; on the 3rd day of my cycle (ALMOST every month) and changes in weather patterns (severe thunderstorm/tornadoes coming in, or a bright, beautiful, hot fall day, bright sunny & extremely cold winter days). And since I live in Wisconsin this is very frequent!

I should also mention I WAS tested for environmental allergies & only reacted to 'molds' & 'smuts', my research on smuts showed this is the mold that appears on corn. And typically I do get real stuffy & it is hard to impossible to breathe out of my nose when I lay down at night when the weather gets real hot and muggy but this is not normally accompanied by a headache, and still nothing that can be 'blown' out.

The headaches usually onset wake me about 3/4am and will last for several days. My normal reaction is to take Excedrin Migrane, Advil, or Alive, sometimes one of these will knock it out for a few hours, sometimes not. The only thing I have found that works consistently is Claritin D, it takes several hours to start working so I usually miss work bc I can't function with one & get so nauseous I'm a driving hazard, but I hate taking this ongoing, Dr suggests taking it preventively. >: [

Also just a side note, dr tried all sorts of migraine meds & preventives in the past, they all either made me sick, made it worse, or did nothing at all.

I have thought maybe it was diet related as I did not have one since starting on BP until the storm that came in last night. So I broke out the Claritin D and now 10 hrs later I'm functioning again.

Weird that the Claritin D works bc I have no nasal congestion, sometimes I can feel a tightness or pressure in my sinus area though, & sometimes it feels like a Mack Truck parked on my face, sometimes it feels like someone one drove a hatchet into the top of my head & I gotta hold it together or it will split & fall off, but usually it just feels like someone stabbing me with a pen from my left eyebrow into the eye socket, and maybe the following week it will happen on the other side.

Also, tho unrelated I get another type of headache & nausea easily, these are caused from smells. It seams I'm real chemical sensitive, they are set off by perfumes, petroleums, exhaust (snowmobile, ATV, etc), cigarettes, and many others. These are generally short lived only lasting a short while after the cause is removed. Although my main concern & reason for this post is the weather type headaches as we are moving into that 'season' & I really hate missing work, not being able to work out, missing out on outdoor activities because I'm too sick & have to lay down or just simply can't enjoy myself because of the ill feeling, I just thought it might be a clue in the bigger picture.

Thoughts? Suggestions? BP alternatives to the ClaritinD?

Please help.

Comments

• Also, I have always had a 'ringing' in my ears, (most likely due to scar tissue from ear infections/tubes in my ears from when I was 4) but since becoming pretty strict on the BPC the ringing has increased in volume. Any thoughts on this as well?
  • DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

I believe that the weather has some influence on blood pressure. Some moody people can get affected by the atmospheric pressure. Also this tinnitus noise may also come from blood pressure and another thing may be cholesterol. I'm not an expert on this weather headache and migraine stuff but since I started eating a good diet and started light hacking I'm not affected by weather anymore.

Where is your headache located?

Headache and tinnitus can also come from stress and tense tight muscles around the neck and jaw.

Could be so many things....

Since your headache is also related to your cycle it might also be a hormonal problem. I can't help you with that as a male but I would get a thyroid panel and check for adrenal issues. Stress and tension are like the most common headache and tinnitus problems but there plenty of other things.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Thank you for your quick reply!

My headaches are usually on the left side, behind the eye (see original post) and I often have pressure in the sinus area (just below eyes, but no congestion or dripping, except on hot muggy nights but then not usually accompanied by a headache) but sometimes the whole left front quarter of the head. About 2% of the time it moves to the right side.

I have told my dr for years I felt I had a thyroid issue due to fatigue, dry skin, hard to loose weight, thin hair, weak/non existent nails & the fact that my parents & sibling had hypothyroidism, but my tests always came back in 'normal range' until last February (see attachments) then he did finally put me on 60 mg of Armor, not really seeing improvement tho.

I started showing high cholesterol about 10 yrs ago, dispite a good diet, this is also hereditary.

My BP is always really good, always right around 110/70. But when it was taken during a headache (at work once & hospital twice (had to go in for a shot of tramidol bc it was so bad!)) it was REALLY low, like 60/50!

I went in for a routine check up in February and then just last Friday due to a UTI (weird, never had one & thought it was just my body dumping toxins from following the BPC!) anyway, attached those results if you think the numbers may give some insight.
  • Thank you for your quick reply!

My headaches are usually on the left side, behind the eye (see original post) and I often have pressure in the sinus area (just below eyes, but no congestion or dripping, except on hot muggy nights but then not usually accompanied by a headache) but sometimes the whole left front quarter of the head. About 2% of the time it moves to the right side.

I have told my dr for years I felt I had a thyroid issue due to fatigue, dry skin, hard to loose weight, thin hair, weak/non existent nails & the fact that my parents & sibling had hypothyroidism, but my tests always came back in 'normal range' until last February (see attachments) then he did finally put me on 60 mg of Armor, not really seeing improvement tho.

I started showing high cholesterol about 10 yrs ago, dispite a good diet, this is also hereditary.

My BP is always really good, always right around 110/70. But when it was taken during a headache (at work once & hospital twice (had to go in for a shot of tramidol bc it was so bad!)) it was REALLY low, like 60/50!

I went in for a routine check up in February and then just last Friday due to a UTI (weird, never had one & thought it was just my body dumping toxins from following the BPC!) anyway, attached those results if you think the numbers may give some insight.
  • DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    The values do look normal. I'm not an Expert on migrane, sorry. However wikipedia says there are environment triggers.

Does relaxation have an influence?

Have you tried magnesium?

Have you been tested for mcs? Multiple chemical sensitivity? This can cause all kinds of symptoms.

Inwouldngo to a functional medicine practitioner.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Hello,... Looking for advise.

I am fairly new to the BP diet & comunity, been following for about 5 weeks now.

My headaches have been plaguing me since I can remember. They can be anywhere from just dull & tolerable to severe to the point of nausea.

Generally they come from 2 known aggravators; on the 3rd day of my cycle (ALMOST every month) and changes in weather patterns (severe thunderstorm/tornadoes coming in, or a bright, beautiful, hot fall day, bright sunny & extremely cold winter days). And since I live in Wisconsin this is very frequent!

I should also mention I WAS tested for environmental allergies & only reacted to 'molds' & 'smuts', my research on smuts showed this is the mold that appears on corn. And typically I do get real stuffy & it is hard to impossible to breathe out of my nose when I lay down at night when the weather gets real hot and muggy but this is not normally accompanied by a headache, and still nothing that can be 'blown' out.

The headaches usually onset wake me about 3/4am and will last for several days. My normal reaction is to take Excedrin Migrane, Advil, or Alive, sometimes one of these will knock it out for a few hours, sometimes not. The only thing I have found that works consistently is Claritin D, it takes several hours to start working so I usually miss work bc I can't function with one & get so nauseous I'm a driving hazard, but I hate taking this ongoing, Dr suggests taking it preventively. >: [

Also just a side note, dr tried all sorts of migraine meds & preventives in the past, they all either made me sick, made it worse, or did nothing at all.

I have thought maybe it was diet related as I did not have one since starting on BP until the storm that came in last night. So I broke out the Claritin D and now 10 hrs later I'm functioning again.

Weird that the Claritin D works bc I have no nasal congestion, sometimes I can feel a tightness or pressure in my sinus area though, & sometimes it feels like a Mack Truck parked on my face, sometimes it feels like someone one drove a hatchet into the top of my head & I gotta hold it together or it will split & fall off, but usually it just feels like someone stabbing me with a pen from my left eyebrow into the eye socket, and maybe the following week it will happen on the other side.

Also, tho unrelated I get another type of headache & nausea easily, these are caused from smells. It seams I'm real chemical sensitive, they are set off by perfumes, petroleums, exhaust (snowmobile, ATV, etc), cigarettes, and many others. These are generally short lived only lasting a short while after the cause is removed. Although my main concern & reason for this post is the weather type headaches as we are moving into that 'season' & I really hate missing work, not being able to work out, missing out on outdoor activities because I'm too sick & have to lay down or just simply can't enjoy myself because of the ill feeling, I just thought it might be a clue in the bigger picture.

Thoughts? Suggestions? BP alternatives to the ClaritinD?

Please help.

This post could have been written by me.  In fact, I started one similar to this a while back.  I'm post menopausal so don't have the monthly migraines, but, dangit, if I don't react to barometric pressure changes.  We've actually documented the pressure changes and my headaches.  Hahaha.

I too went the route of sinus meds to combat the pressure in my head.  The pain is unbearable and I end up vomiting.  Migraine meds do not work on me at all.  I've tried essential oils, yoga, OTC meds, sinus rinses, breathing treatments (still thinking it was sinus related), acupuncture, and massage.  The only thing I had found that helped is ice packs and actually purchased the Headache Hat which is a wearable icepack.

Then I went into chiropractic therapy that used cranial manipulation and that helped a LOT!  My migraines were less intense so manageable.  Apparently the fissures in our skulls are meant to move and sometimes they don't like they are supposed.  Loosening those fissures so there is less pressure on our brains/nerves has really helped with the intensity.

Magnesium and potassium in the pm before bed has helped, too.   Diet-wise, I'm pretty strict with BP food choices to keep my body as anti-inflammatory as possible.  I don't have triggers other than the weather change, but, if I'm paying attention, there are subtle changes in my body before the headaches hit.  Try to notice what yours are so you can take charge of them before they get a foothold.  I get restless legs, and slightly agitated. . .minor stuff, not major swings. . . shortly before the migraine grabs hold. 

Wishing you luck as you figure this out.  What works for one won't necessarily work for someone else so you will have to do the trial/error on your own self.