Trouble With Staying Asleep

edited May 2015 in Sleep Hacking

Hey guys just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on sleep. 

For about 6months ive been having issue with sleep..in particular staying asleep. I have no issues getting to sleep which is around 9.30pm most nights, then ive have a very disturbed sleep from about 2am until 6.30am wen i get up. I seem to wake every hour or so. The 1st half of my night sleeping seems to be very good but the 2nd half is very interrupted

Ive tried many things as suggested on this forum to try and help stay asleep such as:

- Raw honey before bed

- MCT oil before bed

- 5htp before bed

- l-tryptophan before bed

- Passion flower extract before bed

-collagen before bed

Every night i take 600-800mgs of magnesium, 400g potassium and 30g zinc.

None of the above has had any effect on my ability to stay asleep throughout the night without frequent awakenings.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated 

Comments

• Earplugs. Cool your room down. 

I sleep super shitty if I don't wear earplugs. Worst sleep ever. But I can basically sleep through the entire night if I'm wearing earplugs.

Also, what is your sleep environment like? Is it totally dark? Are there blinking lights? is it quiet? Is it too hot? Too cold? Do you have a shitty pillow? What kind of activities have you been doing leading up towards bed? 

Disturbed sleep - is your mind very active and turbulent? Define "Disturbed Sleep" :)

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

sounds exactly like me. & sorry i can't help. nothing seems to help me either.

have you tried Not taking the magnesium, potassium & zinc before bed...? most things i've experimented with taking before bed (including those < ) either have no effect on my sleep or make it worse. 

fake it till you make it

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

I second that earplug thing.

Also I highly recommend a sleeping mask or make your room pitch black. (Bulletproof)

Try Red light and wear red glasses 2 hours before going to bed. (Selfhacked, Bulletproof, Jack Kruse......)

Manage your stress/cortisol. (bad, job, bad relationship, workout too late too hard...ask anybody)

Try managing your blood glucose levels. (Why isn't my brain working)

Try managing your redox capacities. (Jack Kruse)

Have red light and sunlight in the morning (Jack Kruse and Fawkes.....)

maybe shut down , switch off all electronic devices. (Kruse, bulletproof)

try going to bed early (ask anybody)

I track my nutrients with cronometer and I have my supps based on that in the evening plus some alpha lipoic acid.

I also use an air filter over night to kill all the dust mites and get a fresh breeze.

I sleep like a baby, I have dreams, I get a boner in the morning. *win* :D

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred
    edited May 2015
    The first thing i d look into is digestive health. Leaky gut throws your cortisol levels completely out of wack. It could be that you have high cortisol during these times. You could also have an infection that is active at this time, such as a parasite. Histamine intolerance also destroys sleep quality and most notably will make you wake up 1-2 hours early than normal and will not allow you to get back to sleep.

The second thing i d look into is thyroid and adrenal health. If these are in poor health it's probably the second main cause of poor sleep, after poor gut health that is.

The third thing i d suggest is taking blood glucose readings during the times of bad sleep quality to see if low blood sugar is a cause. Not as likely as the other two though.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Which earplug brand do you guys use?

• I recommend Hearos Extreme Protection Series disposable earplugs, and

18-21 deg C air temp in the bedroom,

glass of ice cold water and/or ice packs on the back half hour before sleep (favorite is IR lamps (2 x 250W at about half a metre from closest skin) on front of body, ice packs on back at same time)

read some fiction or watch a TV drama series to unwind

Sleepstream 2 Ultimate app - deep sleep mode binaural beats for at least 10 minutes (best when reading a book)

Fix a definite sleep time - I set an alarm now for going to bed

Don't oversleep regularly

Get some exhausting intense exercise

Give up coffee!

no email for a couple of hours before bed

make sure you know exactly what you're going to do upon waking next morning and for the first few hours of the day

I recommend Hearos Extreme Protection Series disposable earplugs, and

18-21 deg C air temp in the bedroom,

glass of ice cold water and/or ice packs on the back half hour before sleep (favorite is IR lamps (2 x 250W at about half a metre from closest skin) on front of body, ice packs on back at same time)

read some fiction or watch a TV drama series to unwind

Sleepstream 2 Ultimate app - deep sleep mode binaural beats for at least 10 minutes (best when reading a book)

Fix a definite sleep time - I set an alarm now for going to bed

Don't oversleep regularly

Get some exhausting intense exercise

Give up coffee!

no email for a couple of hours before bed

make sure you know exactly what you're going to do upon waking next morning and for the first few hours of the day

Solid advice. Have you quantified how effective the ice water is? I've been thinking about implementing that. The only thing I'd argue is coffee generally only effects people s sleep who have histamine sensitivity or adrenal problems, it might not be necessary.

Guitarist:

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• If you've tried all these with no good result, I'd guess your adrenals are off, which can easily throw off sleep patterns. Best way to assess is via a salivary Adrenal Profile 4X a day for one day. If interested, I can supply more info.

• Is there any tests i can do for leaky gut or a parasite infection? How about histamine intolerance how to i know if id have that?

Also to add to above i sleep with earplugs every-night, i have blackout curtains in my room, and try to limit any light exposure 2 hours before bed, none of these have made any difference also.

The first thing i d look into is digestive health. Leaky gut throws your cortisol levels completely out of wack. It could be that you have high cortisol during these times. You could also have an infection that is active at this time, such as a parasite. Histamine intolerance also destroys sleep quality and most notably will make you wake up 1-2 hours early than normal and will not allow you to get back to sleep.

The second thing i d look into is thyroid and adrenal health. If these are in poor health it's probably the second main cause of poor sleep, after poor gut health that is.

The third thing i d suggest is taking blood glucose readings during the times of bad sleep quality to see if low blood sugar is a cause. Not as likely as the other two though.

• If you've tried all these with no good result, I'd guess your adrenals are off, which can easily throw off sleep patterns. Best way to assess is via a salivary Adrenal Profile 4X a day for one day. If interested, I can supply more info.

i live in New Zealand, do you know where i can get this test done here?

• GarrettGarrett
    edited May 2015

With regards to working on your adrenals, my girlfriend recently recommended ADR Px for me to help me with mine. I started using it on Sunday, and my energy & productivity have all gone up significantly. So much so that I've (for now, at least) entirely put aside Modafinil. So ADR Px might be worth looking into. 

Also.. instructions on how to properly fit earplugs into your ear. Get ones that you can, in fact, use this method with. This method makes a HUGE difference in comfort AND in noise blockage. Night and day.

http://www-esh.fnal.gov/CourseHandout_Mat/earplug.pdf

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

Histamine intolerance also destroys sleep quality and most notably will make you wake up 1-2 hours early than normal and will not allow you to get back to sleep.

^ This bit interests me Roxas... i would like to know more :)

here are a few questions that you may be able to answer (or others may know as well);

1. could you explain further (or link to something) why the histamine issue could specifically cause you to "...wake up 1-2 hours early than normal and will not allow you to get back to sleep".

2. can histamine intolerance be treated/fixed, without resorting to a 'low histamine' diet? .... is it related to undermethylation?

cheers

fake it till you make it

My cave man understand is that histamine is a neurotransmitter and can influence the central nervous system to completely change your circadian rhythm. Here is the best detailed look at that specific mechanism I've found.

http://www.ane.pl/pdf/5449.pdf

Here is a basic overview of histamine intolerance with a practical roadmap near the end for diagnosing and potentially treating

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/5/1185.full.pdf

The main causes from my understanding are genetic predisposition, repeated gut damage, insufficient dao enzyme production, overgrowth of histamine producing bacteria, and or a combination of the above.

Guitarist:

• just an update of how last nights sleep went which is what a typical night has been for the last 6 -7 months.

8.30pm- dim lights red book in bed

9pm - take 600mg magnesium, 200g potassium, 30mg zinc

9.30pm - lights out

9.40pm - fast asleep

2 - 3 am wake up, then sleep very light with waking every 20-30mins or so untill 6.20am when i get up 

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

How are your stress levels. What's your diet look like? Are you in ketosis? If yes does it happen on refeed days? We would have to look at your overall circadian rhythm and stress through out the day in order to get a clue. Maybe you are like an athletic guy who works out all day in ketosis and never refeeds. Maybe you are scared of some job/money problems. So diet and lifestyle can play a huge role. How do you feel the rest of the day? Are you having a clock next to your bed with bright blue light shining into your face? Is there morning light going into your room. The first sunray in the morning even if it's just a tint of blue in the sky is something your body recognizes. That's why I use a sleeping mask. It has a big impact. Waking up is the symptom. You have to find the root cause.

If it hasn't been answered yet:

Cortisol saliva test 2 times a day for at least 2 days if you want to work on that with a doctor.

Stool sample test in order to check your gut.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training