Horrible Mct Oil Reaction: A Warning

I eat a high fat diet, mostly coconut oil and butter. Lately, I have been interested in trying MCT oil, so when I saw my friend had some Brain Octane on her counter, I asked if I could try a dose.  I took one tablespoon with some water on an empty stomach.  about 15 minutes later I ate some gluten free organic animal crackers and pistachios.  Soon afterwards I became extreamly naseaus and sensitive to heat.  The reaction progressed to tiny bumps all over my skin, feeling itchy all over, and my breathing became week.  My partner considered taking me to the hospital.  It was one of the worst feelings I have ever had. 

I have never had allergies in my life, to anything.

I ended up googling "MCT oil allergy".  This link came up...  (about how MCT oil may create food allergies)

http://selfhacked.com/2014/03/14/mct-oil-may-create-food-allergies/

My major business is a nutfarm.  could this make me permenantly allergic to nuts?

I just recovered from the 5 hour experience.  The worst probably lasted no more than an hour.  I now feel 98% better.  I will try nuts again in a day or so. 

Comments

• Interesting! Thank you for sharing this. 

Allergies come and go. One day you are allergic to something and the next you are not.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

That's actually not news but yea well now we have proof. I posted this link several times now. Yes allergies that come later in live can go away again. I would avoid it allergens strictly for a year maybe and slowly reintroduce it.

For more info on reverse reactions with MCT try the search tool.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

That's actually not news but yea well now we have proof. I posted this link several times now. Yes allergies that come later in live can go away again. I would avoid it allergens strictly for a year maybe and slowly reintroduce it.

That blog post has been dis proven and is full of errors which have been mentioned on other blog posts.

More than likely you are allergic to the BO oil or became allergic to pistachios which is common. It is also possible that you could have been allergic to some sort of contaminate on the pistachios. You could also have broken out in hives for any number of reasons.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

•  

-Yeah I used the search tool, but I didn't find any effect as serious as this and figured it was worth its own post.

That blog post has been dis proven and is full of errors which have been mentioned on other blog posts.

More than likely you are allergic to the BO oil or became allergic to pistachios which is common. It is also possible that you could have been allergic to some sort of contaminate on the pistachios. You could also have broken out in hives for any number of reasons.

I eat pistachios from this same brand all the time with no ill effect.  Either I'm allergic to the Brain Octane (which is so weird becaues I eat lots of coconut oil), or it made me (Please god only temperarly), allergic to the nuts. I think I may have reproved this article.  I was fine until I consumed the nuts.  I have never broken out in hives like this before, it was a full blown allergic reaction.  Again, I have never been allergic to anything. 

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

I can see on the post that her crossed the link to the study so seems you area right...

but I haven't heard of it yet. link please.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

-Yeah I used the search tool, but I didn't find any effect as serious as this and figured it was worth its own post.

I eat pistachios from this same brand all the time with no ill effect.  Either I'm allergic to the Brain Octane (which is so weird becaues I eat lots of coconut oil), or it made me (Please god only temperarly), allergic to the nuts. I think I may have reproved this article.  I was fine until I consumed the nuts.  I have never broken out in hives like this before, it was a full blown allergic reaction.  Again, I have never been allergic to anything. 

One spontaneous case of hives does not prove this article to be correct.

MCT oil does cause issues for some people, Brain Octane can as well. Nothing is perfect. Just because it caused you issues and a few others does not mean it up-regulates a Th2 response since no studies have been done on human beings. Rats process MCT's a lot differently. Also, if this was the case, breast fed babies and people that consume coconut oil, from all over the world would be having allergic reactions.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com