Fasted Workout And Bcaas

I do fasted workouts but because of my schedule I do not start lifting until about 4pm or 5pm with only BPC in the morning. This puts me at almost 20 hours with only coffee and fat from my last meal.

I can not seem to find an answer to if taking BCAAs throughout the day and right before my workout will take me out of the fast.

I take the Natural Stacks BCAAs, so you can look that up for the values.

Thanks for taking a look at my post!
Tagged:

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    I'm just wondering why you are exercising without basic nutrition, forget about 20hr fasts and start eating lunch, save long fasts for rest days. If that seems unreasonable then you have developed an eating disorder.
  • I only do this fasted workout 3 times a week. I am doing fasted workout for the benefits of suppressing mTOR. The rest of the days I eat a normal lunch and dinner with BPC and sometimes breakfast. The fasted day will be be a max of 18-20 hours depending on how late I eat dinner the night before and if I have my "bedtime" tea which consist raw honey and/or collagen protein.

Ok, so I'm trying to get this right, you eat on rest days and don't eat on training days, and this is to get some kind of benefit from mtor? I can guarantee you that you will get maximal benifits from training by eating food, any mtor benefit you seek would be mitigated by the lack of nutrition, training fasted would be best first thing in the morning so you can still get proper nutrition.
  • I do eat on training days, just not before my training. I do IF everyday except some days on the weekends, so a normal day I would be eating lunch (my first meal) at 2-3pm when I get hungry.  I have found my workouts and everyday feelings are much better when I train fasted.

I am not worried about nutrition, I have tracked my nutrition using myfitness and was hitting my macros and enough calories even doing fasted workouts.

Technically Bp coffee is breaking the fast, so you can take the bcaas whenever you see fit, I would take it throughout the day for the best effect ( with regards to metabolism and muscle synthesis)
  • So taking BPC in the morning is taking me out of my fast from the time of my last meal the night before? I was under the impression that processing fat did not take one out of a fast. Interesting.

So would it be beneficial to take BCCAs while I am doing the Bulletproof IF throughout the day up until my lunch (even on resting days) to help muscle synthesis?

yes, or collagen, something is better than nothing, your body does not store amino acids other than in muscle tissue so when there is none in the circulating blood stream available it is harvested from existing tissue, providing a consistent supply is one of the best things you can do for muscle growth and anabolism, protein also raises metabolism more than carbs or fat, and in turn, more muscle mass increases basal metabolic expenditure which means you get to eat even more food.

here is a sample protein synthesis chart, the top is with no training, when you eat protein you create new tissue, when you don't eat (fast) you lose tissue, meals eaten take several hours to complete so eating regularly reduces the periods of fasted losses.  In the bottom chart, including resistance training increases new growth even further than from eating protein alone, which mitigates loses during non eating (fasting), so eating regularly and resistance training provides the best outcome for 

F1.large.jpg

So, eating food (especially protein) regularly and resistance training provides the optimal environment for muscle growth, and metabolism by default.

• Thanks for taking the time out to post some knowledge. Appreciate it Jason.

• I'm just curious what are your goals here? Are you trying to shred to get a six pack? Is that why you are BPIFing on lifting days and not consuming food?

From personal experience, not eating and training is probably the worst thing you could ever do.

Also, saying things like "I fast for 20 hours then lift" (as I did) is only accomplishing diminished gains. Performance dwindles and body composition slides into "no gains" zone. I feel like the conventional BP approach has people romanticizing and making trophies out of their ability to not eat for hours *cough* eating disorder. Trust me, I did this and ruined my metabolism. Too low carb for too long is not good. Low carb for a small amount of time (aka - a goal) is okay, but you must reverse diet back to moderate carb.

Your lifting performance will skyrocket if you do the magical human right and eat food. You may also achieve your body comp goals quicker with this magical substance known as food!

• cointiltcointilt
    edited May 2015
    So me eating 2000 to 2600 calories a day is an eating disorder. Thank you so much for answering my ACTUALLY QUESTION and rambling on about carbs that had nothing to do with what I said. I never said I don't eat carbs. I guess I'll just stop posting questions.

• I only do this fasted workout 3 times a week. I am doing fasted workout for the benefits of suppressing mTOR. The rest of the days I eat a normal lunch and dinner with BPC and sometimes breakfast. The fasted day will be be a max of 18-20 hours depending on how late I eat dinner the night before and if I have my "bedtime" tea which consist raw honey and/or collagen protein.

What benefits have you noticed doing this protocol? Just curious if your goals are weight loss? Thanks.

• I can only agree with Jason. You need the building blocks to build muscle. It doen't matter how much you hammer on the mTOR because you cannot build a wall with a hammer and no bricks.
  • In the book Dave mentions training before ending your fast. So we SHOULDN'T be doing this now?