Not Losing Weight As Fast As I Would Like, But Think I Figured It Out...

OK, I am a newbie and 11 days into my first 2 weeks....

First week was really great and lost 6.4 lbs.

The last 4 days I have stalled and not losing...

I am a male 5' 11" and weighed 277 when starting the plan. My goal wight is 225

I have been sticking tight to the program and have not wavered at all into any toxic foods.

This morning I went through my diet plan and plugged my daily intake into myfitnesspal to see where my numbers fell and was a bit shocked at the outcome. My numbers were 82% Fat, 5% Carbs and 13% Protein. 

Turns out I was going way overboard on the Yellow Kerrygold stuff. I was putting 3 or 4 tablespoons in my BP coffee and adding another 3 or 4 Tablespoons on my veggies / protein at the other 2 meals. 

I adjusted this to 2 Tablespoons in the BP Coffee and 1 Tablespoon at each meal and this change plus bumping my Veggies a bit and pulling back just a bit on the Protein gave me this ratio - Fat 60%, Carbs 20%, Protein 20%.

I am going to run with this for a few days and see what happens. I also pulled 500-600 calories a day out of my plan by laying back on the butter. 

I just assumed from reading the book that the more the merrier with the fats but after looking at the numbers see that you need to keep it in check,

Comments

• NickatNickat
    edited May 2015
    No matter what anyone says it is ultimately what type and how much food or drink that you consume that has an effect on your body. If people posted their typical workouts, their nutrient calorie consumption and their body fat %....it might help newbies more than concentrating on supplements and the workings of ketosis. Don't count calories...but then in the end we still do...albeit by blocks or anything else. Dave has between 2500 and 3000 daily kcals so we have been told. He is 6foot 4inches. How much does he weigh?
  • First few days of rapid weight loss tends to be water weight. As your burn through your stored glycogen, which is stored with water, you drop weight more rapidly until you start predominantly burn fat. Then the weight loss slows but it will continue. Just stick to it long-term. Commitment is key.

Short-term weight can fluctuate by 5 pounds per day for a lot of people due to water. Whether it be urine, perspiration, respiration, drinking, interstitial accumulation (i.e. swelling in muscles) due to exercise or stress. Don't be disheartened by these changes.

• NickatNickat
    edited May 2015

First few days of rapid weight loss tends to be water weight. As your burn through your stored glycogen, which is stored with water, you drop weight more rapidly until you start predominantly burn fat. Then the weight loss slows but it will continue. Just stick to it long-term. Commitment is key.

Short-term weight can fluctuate by 5 pounds per day for a lot of people due to water. Whether it be urine, perspiration, respiration, drinking, interstitial accumulation (i.e. swelling in muscles) due to exercise or stress. Don't be disheartened by these changes.

Like most diets the start is successful because of this. It is import to always track quantity and quality to gain that body composition or health benefit that comes from eating these anti inflammatory food choices. The new nutritional ratio's he has chosen now seem excellent and am looking forward to seeing the outcome. Slow and steady wins the ultimate prize of wrinkless skin on a body. The detoxing effects are hateful but necessary and hopefully will be mostly cleared soon too.

Good luck...no hard work and welcome to a new life and more optimal you.
  • I lost .6 pounds this morning, so finally breaking through my wall. I agree that calories have to be considered in the grand scheme as well. I am in for the long haul and will keep you guys posted as I progress. 

• Well, day one of new plan did not go so well...  I dropped the fat intake with the butter and had a really long business meeting that pushed me to 3:30pm eating my lunch, I was absolutely starving at this point and with only 2.5 cups of Steamed Veggies, 1 Tablespoon of Butter and 4oz of grass fed steak it did not begin to fill me up. Around 5pm I became extremely light-headed and weak. I went into screw it mode and hit a favorite restaurant for a big cheeseburger and Dr. Pepper....   This was the first time in 12 days I had wavered into the toxic zone. I gained .8 lbs this morning but getting back on the wagon with BPC this morning. I did some adjustments to my program today and am adding 2 more cups for a total of 4.5 cups of vegetables to each meal and one more Tablespoon of GFB to each meal. This keeps my ratios in check but pushes my caloric intake to 1,900 per day. This is probably 300 calories more than I should have to lose weight according to MyFitnessPal but should keep me from being light-headed. Going to try this for a few days and adjust if needed. I also ordered all recommended supplements this morning from Amazon as I have not been taking any supplements. Will be interesting to see how those impact my plan. 

• Try fasting in the am without all the Liquid fats, drink just water or black coffee. Start slowly by breaking fast at 10am with protein and fats like 3 eggs and some type of meat. Eat lunch like you have here but push it up to 1pm Heavy on the veggies. Then eat a bigger supper, remaining daily calories with protein fats and atleast 75 gram to 100 gram of carbs from white rice or sweet potatoes. Eat like daily to simplify and then make adjustment after 4 weeks. I found cutting drinkable fats helps most people but do cook with coconut oil and butter. And put fats on veggies just 1 to 2tsp per meal

quote name="Phocused" post="123296" timestamp="1431792365"]

Well, day one of new plan did not go so well... I dropped the fat intake with the butter and had a really long business meeting that pushed me to 3:30pm eating my lunch, I was absolutely starving at this point and with only 2.5 cups of Steamed Veggies, 1 Tablespoon of Butter and 4oz of grass fed steak it did not begin to fill me up. Around 5pm I became extremely light-headed and weak. I went into screw it mode and hit a favorite restaurant for a big cheeseburger and Dr. Pepper.... This was the first time in 12 days I had wavered into the toxic zone. I gained .8 lbs this morning but getting back on the wagon with BPC this morning. I did some adjustments to my program today and am adding 2 more cups for a total of 4.5 cups of vegetables to each meal and one more Tablespoon of GFB to each meal. This keeps my ratios in check but pushes my caloric intake to 1,900 per day. This is probably 300 calories more than I should have to lose weight according to MyFitnessPal but should keep me from being light-headed. Going to try this for a few days and adjust if needed. I also ordered all recommended supplements this morning from Amazon as I have not been taking any supplements. Will be interesting to see how those impact my plan. [/quote]

• Try fasting in the am without all the Liquid fats, drink just water or black coffee. Start slowly by breaking fast at 10am with protein and fats like 3 eggs and some type of meat. Eat lunch like you have here but push it up to 1pm Heavy on the veggies. Then eat a bigger supper, remaining daily calories with protein fats and atleast 75 gram to 100 gram of carbs from white rice or sweet potatoes. Eat like daily to simplify and then make adjustment after 4 weeks. I found cutting drinkable fats helps most people but do cook with coconut oil and butter. And put fats on veggies just 1 to 2tsp per meal

quote name="Phocused" post="123296" timestamp="1431792365"]

Well, day one of new plan did not go so well... I dropped the fat intake with the butter and had a really long business meeting that pushed me to 3:30pm eating my lunch, I was absolutely starving at this point and with only 2.5 cups of Steamed Veggies, 1 Tablespoon of Butter and 4oz of grass fed steak it did not begin to fill me up. Around 5pm I became extremely light-headed and weak. I went into screw it mode and hit a favorite restaurant for a big cheeseburger and Dr. Pepper.... This was the first time in 12 days I had wavered into the toxic zone. I gained .8 lbs this morning but getting back on the wagon with BPC this morning. I did some adjustments to my program today and am adding 2 more cups for a total of 4.5 cups of vegetables to each meal and one more Tablespoon of GFB to each meal. This keeps my ratios in check but pushes my caloric intake to 1,900 per day. This is probably 300 calories more than I should have to lose weight according to MyFitnessPal but should keep me from being light-headed. Going to try this for a few days and adjust if needed. I also ordered all recommended supplements this morning from Amazon as I have not been taking any supplements. Will be interesting to see how those impact my plan. [/quote]

You know this is why eating plenty of fat to begin with helps with cravings and makes you feel fuller longer. It is when you are keto adapted that cravings and the will to just eat are gone (being truly ketogenic does that) that you will find lowering fat more beneficial. Going cold turkey might not be best right now. With that in mind keep at it. Imagine the way you will feel and what you will look like later, then stop imagining and make it a reality. We all have bad days.

• Thanks guys, I guess the part that had me tweaked was expecting to lose a lb a day for long term. I have come to terms that this is a lifestyle change and losing a lb a day is not realistic. Also not realistic to expect to stay 100% clean forever. Looking at it from this perspective helps me mentally going forward. I do feel a lot better and have lost a decent amount of weight. Just going to work on dialing it in and making the lifestyle change for the long haul.

• Same thing happened to me.  Here are my weight lost # for each week

Week 1 - 6lb

Week 2 - 3.4lb

Week 3 - gained 2.6lb

Week 4 - 5.2lb

At the end of week 3 with a gain of 2.6 I said WTF!!!  AT that point I got the book Keto Clarity and read it.

Discovered, that as a diabetic, I really needed to reign in the carbs to get the ketogenic process going.

Also, I needed to reduce the amount of protein because excess protein can be turned into blood glucose.

Also needed to keep an eye on overall calories.

So I made adjustments, limited carb to 20-30g/day and reduced protein to around 80g/day.  

And ketosis started up again

Here is my current eating shedule.

9am BP 2 12oz cup coffee, 2tblsp butter and 2 tblsp brain oil per cup - drink one cup and put one cup in frig

noon - 4oz beef with just a little butter on it.

3pm - BP coffee from frig over ice

5:30pm large salad with olive oil

If I get hungry between noon and 6pm I eat cream cheese or some nuts

Seems to be working.  I'm in ketosis most of the time, but never in the AM.

• Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
    edited May 2015
    Tranceman, may I suggest more coffee in the morning and eating your steak with more fat at 2pm? 6 hours is better for an intermittent fasting schedule. With more fat you will feel less prone to hunger as well. Also spiking your blood sugar with any sugar or carbs before your evening meal can be detrimental to your fasting schedule and body. One of the reasons we don't eat cheese is because of the casein protein that is hard for the body to digest. Not allowing your body a break from digestion in between meals.

Try those subtle changes. Drink your entire coffee in the morning. Add an avacado to your lunch and move it to 2. Stay away from sugar or carbs until your evening meal. Might change things for you.
    Be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy. You are the only person who will always truly be there for you.
  • Samir aka Judo, no you may not make suggestions. I am not asking for help and am quite satisfied with what I am doing.  Also, some of your suggestions make no sense.  May I make a suggestion: don't give unsolicited advice.

• Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
    edited May 2015

Samir aka Judo, no you may not make suggestions. I am not asking for help and am quite satisfied with what I am doing. Also, some of your suggestions make no sense. May I make a suggestion: don't give unsolicited advice.

Wow. My stomach dropped with how bad I feel for you. Don't treat people like that man, have some self-respect. Why are you spreading such rudeness and hatred? This is a place for sharing ideas and offering advice to each other. You don't have to bite my head off.
    Be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy. You are the only person who will always truly be there for you.