Does Bp Coffee Cause Adrenal Stress?

edited May 2015 in Bulletproof Coffee

I just ordered a pack of ground BP Coffee but I'm worried about the effects it might have on my endocrine system and hormonal health...

Dave Asprey claims that it's the mycotoxins in the coffee beans that create problems for the consumer. However, I'm skeptical of this claim. Caffeine might have some nice effects (e.g. increased energy, mental awareness, and suppression of appetite) but caffeine has nasty side effects too - one being adrenal exhaustion. How is BP Coffee any different than regular coffee then?

Thanks

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

The caffeine is the same. And yes it is advised to be careful with coffee if you have stressed adrenals. Bulletproof coffee isn't required to follow this diet, it's merely a tool to be used intelligently, which for some (maybe even for most) means not having it everyday. However, the diet in general benefits your health in such a way that you become more resilient and clean coffee will be an actual boost, not a way to prop you up to normal.

How much coffee you can handle is for you to find out, some experimentation is needed.

• edited May 2015

The caffeine is the same. And yes it is advised to be careful with coffee if you have stressed adrenals. Bulletproof coffee isn't required to follow this diet, it's merely a tool to be used intelligently, which for some (maybe even for most) means not having it everyday. However, the diet in general benefits your health in such a way that you become more resilient and clean coffee will be an actual boost, not a way to prop you up to normal.

How much coffee you can handle is for you to find out, some experimentation is needed.

Dave Asprey drinks 1-2 cups a day and he seems to be doing fine. I never exceed 1 cup a day. Is that enough to cause problems however?

• Take caffeine breaks 2 days weekly or just take week's off at a time.
  • NickatNickat
    edited May 2015

Agree that caffeine breaks are needed. (sorry my likes all used up today KilltheEgo).

• what's the deal with slowly weaning coffee?  Like if you been drinking it every day for a month, is it safe to just instantly cut it off for a week to take a break?  is this ficiton?

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I don't know about that, caffeine has a half life of 3 to 7 hours but some people may experience some withdrawal symptoms. Go by feel and either go cold turkey or simply reduce the amount

• Has anyone else tried the butter with black tea? Black tea has lesss caffein per cup, but tea seems to have a lot more health benefits than coffee, including anti-aging and thermogenic (fat burning) properties.

Also it seems to lower the cortisol level (stress hormone from Adrenal) in people who drink 3-4 cups a day.

__The study, published in the journal Psychopharmacology, found that people who drank tea were able to de-stress more quickly than those who drank a fake tea substitute. Furthermore, the study participants – who drank a black tea concoction four times a day for six weeks – were found to have lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol in their blood after a stressful event, compared with a control group who drank the fake or placebo tea for the same period of time. __

Tea also tastes great with butter and MCT oil :)

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

You guys are going crazy about tiny accute cortisol raise from coffee? Do that only if you have severe AF.

Black tea is not so great because of the cancer causing roasts particles. Drink green tea instead. Not roasted but steamed leafs.

Also google for the "cool new bp tea and coffee info graphic".

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• edited April 2017

Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I understand that this may be an oversimplification of the matter), but I read awhile back, that caffeine uses the body's B vitamins reserves to induce energy, and I have personally noticed that when I get lazy with my B complex supplementation for any extended period of time, that I also experience pronounced AF symptoms. It might also explain why coffee seems to have the opposite effect (i.e.: more fatigue) whenever I feel like I'm already experiencing AF.

(Note: this is based on self-experimentation and observation, as I have neither been tested for my B levels nor for AF.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file