Hemp Oil Instead Of Coconut/mct Oil?

This morning I added Nutiva Hemp Oil instead of MCT oil to my butter and coffee blend and it tastes great!  Are there any downsides to this?  Does is there a significant/compelling reason to not do this and to switch back to MCT/Brain Octane?

Here is a link to the Hemp Oil product page for reference.

https://store.nutiva.com/cold-pressed-hemp-oil/

I look forward to comments/suggestions.

-Bryan

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    Heat is probably not a good idea with that oil.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

Seconded, hemp oil is not high heat or UV stable and will oxidize and go rancid with time. My experience is mostly with industrial hemp oil used in manufacturing and finishing wood, but the truth is there is no difference in level of refinement between the two, only the bottle and the price per ounce! Hemp oil is also Omega-6 dominant, if that is a concern for you. Now if it was full THC/CBD cannabis oil...

EDIT: Upon double-checking, hemp oil has a smoke point of 330F, so the heat of coffee would not render your hemp oil into some sort of nasty carcinogen, but they are still prone to oxidation and rancidity. Proper storage (dark bottle, cool dry environment) and speedy consumption should be just fine, providing your coffee is not in a gaseous state or being converted into a Jahn-Teller metal. Maybe someone has a link to studies of hemp oil being introduced to ~175-200F liquids and the resulting oxidation?

• edited November 2015

Here's the crux of the issue:

Essential fatty acids are very susceptible to the effects of light, heat, and oxygen (as most plant foods are). This means that any hemp products (or any EFA rich food) should be stored in the refrigerator, in sealed. Light-impermeable containers, and not heated in any way. Some products recommend refrigeration only after opening. And that is most likely fine; however shelf life is generally increased when these products are kept cooler. EFAs and proteins change drastically when they are heated. And can transform the fats and proteins from being extremely healthful. To extremely harmful. Any temperature over the enzyme threshold temperature of 115F will initiate these harmful changes. Here is the lowdown on the most popular forms of hemp available and how to use them:

source: hxxp://hippocratesinst.org/whats-wrong-with-hemp

This is why whole foods sells their in a fridge and the containers are dark

But there's also this good information:

Hemp nuts have a near perfect ratio of omega-3 (alpha- linolenic) to omega-6 (linoleic) essential fatty acids (EFAs). The ideal ratio is considered to be 4:1 (omega-6: omega — 3) ; hemp  nuts have a ratio of 3.38:1.

Finally from wikipedia:

Highly unsaturated oils, and especially poor quality oils, can spontaneously oxidize and turn rancid within a short period of time when they are not stored properly; i.e., in a cool/cold, dark place, preferably in a dark glass bottle. Hempseed oil can be frozen for longer periods of storage time. Preservatives (antioxidants) are not necessary for high-quality oils that are stored properly.

Hempseed oil has a relatively low smoke point and is not suitable for frying. Hempseed oil is primarily used as a food oil and dietary supplement, and has been shown to relieve the symptoms of a skin disease called eczema (atopic dermatitis).[12]

I am using high-cdb cannabis oil to treat my adhd, insomnia, and depression, but that's a different part of the plant.

• Using Hemp Seed and Butter is kinda of redundant, the MCT provides you with instant energy from medium chain triglycerides, and the butter gives you the Omega fats. By adding Hemp Seed to your butter you'd only be doubling up on your omega's.

Myself, I use Hemp Seed oil and Fractionated coconut oil (MCT from only coconuts), the Hemp Seed oil for its perfect balance of omegas and the FC oil for the MCT's that give you that energy boost.

Also, Hemp Seed oil keeps very similar to butter in the fridge :)

• Hemp Seed Oil is extremely stable, stored in dark GLASS, or pharmaceutical grade thick, black, BPA, BPS, FREE, composite material, bottle and balanced in Omega's 3, 6, 9; not for cooking, but fine in a hot beverage. It is more stable than Flax I strongly recommend Dr. Udo Erasmus book, " Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill." He is an expert not an advice giver like my great aunt, Matilda, who only thinks she knows.
    For an Omega 3 deficient person Flax Oil and FRESHLY ground brown flax seed seems more efficacious, switching to hemp once the deficiency seems corrected.
    Home made Hemp Seed butter is also very nice by itself and can be combined with peanut butter, or other nut or seed butters, or coconut oil. Hemp Seed Oil can be sprinkled on cooked veggies and salads, very tasty; it works well as an herb infuser, garlic, oregano, dill and basil infuse very well.
    Organic Flax and Hemp Seed are much more economical than oils, and in their whole state keep ,' forever.' Grind as needed in a coffee grinder, pulsing; although both will liquify nicely left to sit 5 minutes in smoothie liquid, like almond milk, or, water, before blending.

• MCT provides ketones for brain health but lacks the full spectrum of benefits found in whole healthy oils because it is fractionated.

• Just use A extra virgin Coconut oil - i am currently using Tiana Fairtrade Organics Coconut Oil. Its great.