No Migraines For 4 Years Until... Mct Oil

Hello everyone, I'm trying to figure out why after taking 1 teaspoon MCT oil for the first time yesterday I had a day-long migraine, and today for the second time same results.

I have two theories:

1. Too-much glutamate in my brain 
  2. Yeast Die Off Reaction as mentioned here.

I have followed a largely paleo-esque/bulletproof diet for the last 4 years, experimented with ketosis along with intermittent fasting. I have also consumed my morning coffee with butter for some time to only positive effect.

I haven't had any migraines since switching my diet 4 years ago. The only new addition is the MCT oil.

Up until searching in Google "MCT oil + Migraines" today, I was completely unaware of how glutamate in excess can cause toxicity in nerve cells and therefore cause migraines, and how MCT oils are used as natural anti-fungals which can cause Candida-yeast die off reaction.

Both of these theories strike a cord with me:

• Years ago I figured out when I ate BBQ chicken from a local store, I instantly developed a migraine. I put this down to the sauce as regular chicken didn't have the same effect. Today I realise that could be down to glutamate (MSG?) in the sauce.
  • I have had a recurrent bacterial infection recently, taken anti-fungals and anti-biotics.

So my question:

• How do I identify which of the two theories is causing my migraines?

If it is simply too much glutamate in my brain, I can lower the already-low 1 teaspoon, but this could cause the Candida-die off to lower and therefore make me assume it was the glutamate.

If I can identify the cause as Candida die-off reaction, I should want this to continue - yes? 

Thank you in advanced! 

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    for completeness, what brand of MCT oil is it

fake it till you make it

• Brain Octane from Bulletproof store

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

the glutamate in food will not get into your brain. if your brain barrier is healthy. it's a myth. :)

however you can be allergic to glutamate.

sorry can't help. all I wanted to say is that your brain produces its own glutamate and lots of it. it's one of the main neurotransmitters.

correct me if I'm wrong.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Thanks for the reply, DMan.

Glutamate allergy is interesting.

I'm really hoping it's the second theory though. I read through this which mentions nausea and chills. I'm absolutely freezing right now. 

edited May 2015

If you think you have a candida problem get your gut flora checked. It may show something...

Natural glutamate is also in tomatoes, cheese and I don't know something else... What happens when you eat that? What happens when you eat something different with the unnatural MSG in it?

Just some ideas for testing.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• How do I go about getting it checked? Is there a kit I can purchase or is it something I need to see a professional with?

Outside of the BBQ chicken at my local store, I've never really had an instant migraine reaction to eating something. 

I used to get migraines frequently, but I haven't had an episode since switching to a paleo diet 4 years ago. I now live in South East Asia too, where MSG is rife.

Not sure if that rules out the migraines being caused by glutamate. 

Kinda taken aback by this! lol.

I went to a doctor who knows what leaky gut is and told him I want to get tested. Usually ther work together with a company who analyzes it. You have to take a stool sample and send it over. In the US you can probably do that at home I have no idea what they do with your stool in South East Asia. ;P

How much to eat:

• I can't speak to candida die-off causing migranes but I know that too much MCT, too fast, will cause a Herx from the die-off. This occurred to my wife and kids. 

I would say to either reduce the MCT oil consumption and raise slowly or eliminate altogether. 

• I stopped adding BOO for a couple days, then worked it into food (mainly in guacamole) instead of black coffee on empty stomach.

Slowly built it up and the headaches have gone.

I jumped up from small teaspoon to two large teaspoons this morning in coffee and my temples are instantly feeling tight - but no headache is present. 

It's fascinating to see how the body reacts to what you put in it. 

• So basically if I read this MCT is not only good for your performance but also makes your brain healthier?

• edited July 2015
    I also experienced mct oil as a trigger for migraine. I hadn't had any migraines for almost 13 years. When I was being treated for them many years ago I was able to identify many of my triggers, ( msg, nitrates, red and blue dyes, certain smells, strobe lights, etc) eliminate them and have been migraine free for many years. After going Bulletproof earlier this spring I started using Brain Octaine oil. I had trouble getting to the recommended dose because it was causing such painful stomach cramps. I decided I was going to "tough it out" and worked my way up to 2 teaspoons at a time. (In my coffee, drizzled on meals, etc.) I started having a type of migraine I had never experienced before, a type proceeded by an aura phase including vision and speech disturbances, muscle paralysis, nausea and vomiting, followed by a 10-12 hour debilitating headache. I had 9 of these in a two week window of time. On one day I had 3 on the same day. After the second one my husband took me to the hospital and they admitted me thinking I was having a stroke. ( I had the 3 rd one in the ER with a team of doctors standing around the bed watching. Surreal😊) I was told to stop all supplements and had many neurological tests and many follow ups with a neurologist. Every test was normal and it was determined that I was having this particular type of migraine with an aura phase. I resumed my BP coffee with Brain Octaine oil and within 3 days started having the first signs of the aura phase (vision and speech disturbances, muscle paralysis) I was able to take a medication I had been given by the neurologist to head off the oncoming migraine and it wasn't too bad. So I feel pretty strongly that Mct oil, at least brain Octaine, is another powerful trigger for me. After more research I found that rapid hormone changes can be a trigger for many people. ( which is why many women have migraines connected to their menstral cycles and pregnancy.) I have been searching for any info suggesting that Mct oil can cause hormonal shifts. I haven't come across anything yet but am still looking. Maybe this is what happened to you? ( and me too😊) I would love to hear back from anyone on this. Thanks
  • Had brain octane yesterday, noticed slight migraine. Why on earth did you continue when it's practically killing you?

Regardless of the fact that brain octane "should" work, it clearly does not for you. Remember your reaction to foods is more relevant to you than all the science in the world, and all the positive reactions of everybody else.

My personal experience has been that bpc turns me into superman for a few hours, with a crash in the evening. As ferris says what goes up must come down.
  • Hi,

You may have a problem with salicylates,as  I do. MCT oil contains coconut oil, which is very high in saliclylates. Anything coconut gives me a 5 days/24hour migraine, and I also get a topical reaction from any creams with coconut oil.

The skin of shop bought BBQ chickens is usually also laden with salicylates, and would be the same issue.

If you are fine with coconut oil and products, then this isn't your issue - so that's an easy test to do.

• I also experienced mct oil as a trigger for migraine. I hadn't had any migraines for almost 13 years. When I was being treated for them many years ago I was able to identify many of my triggers, ( msg, nitrates, red and blue dyes, certain smells, strobe lights, etc) eliminate them and have been migraine free for many years. After going Bulletproof earlier this spring I started using Brain Octaine oil. I had trouble getting to the recommended dose because it was causing such painful stomach cramps. I decided I was going to "tough it out" and worked my way up to 2 teaspoons at a time. (In my coffee, drizzled on meals, etc.) I started having a type of migraine I had never experienced before, a type proceeded by an aura phase including vision and speech disturbances, muscle paralysis, nausea and vomiting, followed by a 10-12 hour debilitating headache. I had 9 of these in a two week window of time. On one day I had 3 on the same day. After the second one my husband took me to the hospital and they admitted me thinking I was having a stroke. ( I had the 3 rd one in the ER with a team of doctors standing around the bed watching. Surreal) I was told to stop all supplements and had many neurological tests and many follow ups with a neurologist. Every test was normal and it was determined that I was having this particular type of migraine with an aura phase. I resumed my BP coffee with Brain Octaine oil and within 3 days started having the first signs of the aura phase (vision and speech disturbances, muscle paralysis) I was able to take a medication I had been given by the neurologist to head off the oncoming migraine and it wasn't too bad. So I feel pretty strongly that Mct oil, at least brain Octaine, is another powerful trigger for me. After more research I found that rapid hormone changes can be a trigger for many people. ( which is why many women have migraines connected to their menstral cycles and pregnancy.) I have been searching for any info suggesting that Mct oil can cause hormonal shifts. I haven't come across anything yet but am still looking. Maybe this is what happened to you? ( and me too) I would love to hear back from anyone on this. Thanks

Hi - see my response below on salicylates. You may have a chemical intolerance to those. I only lasted 3 days on MCT oil.

• Do we know whether MCT Oil affects glutamate levels in the brain? I'm sure I have a leaky BBB so if anyone would be affected it's me...