Irish Moss, Agar Safe?

I hear carrageanan is derived from Irish moss. Is Agar or Irish moss safe to consume? Is there certain people with certain health issues who should avoid it?

Comments

• zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.
    Irish moss and agar (kanten) are both seaweed - a dietary source of iodine; good for digestion/detox; and contain zero carbs and some fiber.

Both can be used to thicken liquids like the notorious Carrageenan which is controversial with little scientific reason.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• So Irish moss and agar has no blatant down side for most people? You mentioned carageenan having a unreasonable reputation, do you think that there isn't a down side to consuming carageenan?
  • zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.

the way i look at it...

irish moss is a whole food. agar is minimally processed depending on the form you use. both qualify as seaweed in the bp lifestyle.

carageenan is more processed and probably wouldn't be on the ingredient list of anything you'll be eating if following the bp roadmap unless you're preparing it at home. for example, i use kappa carrageenan as a gelling agent in some non-dairy plant-based cheeses that i make for friends of mine.

i have no negative physical response to the carrageenan, but wouldn't eat it every day. I prefer the irish moss, gelatin or pectin - based on mouthfeel and nutritional profile. agar and carrageenan gels are brittle... like weird jello.

test your body's reaction to all three before consuming on a regular basis - as you would any other food.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

All heavy cream I can find have carrageenan in them. Good news that it's not a deadly thing. I love cream.  :oops:

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Does anyone have any recipes they use irish moss in?

• @zero33 said:
    the way i look at it...

irish moss is a whole food. agar is minimally processed depending on the form you use. both qualify as seaweed in the bp lifestyle.

carageenan is more processed and probably wouldn't be on the ingredient list of anything you'll be eating if following the bp roadmap unless you're preparing it at home. for example, i use kappa carrageenan as a gelling agent in some non-dairy plant-based cheeses that i make for friends of mine.

i have no negative physical response to the carrageenan, but wouldn't eat it every day. I prefer the irish moss, gelatin or pectin - based on mouthfeel and nutritional profile. agar and carrageenan gels are brittle... like weird jello.

test your body's reaction to all three before consuming on a regular basis - as you would any other food.

Hi, do you know if umeboshi are "allowed"? thanks