What Foods Break The Fast?

I am doing the intermediate fasting that is part of the Bulletproof Diet. But I have a hard time understanding what foods break the fast and what foods you can eat on the fast and still be in fast. For example you should be able to still have your Bulletproof Cofee with butter and oil and still be in fast. How about a teaspoon of honey in the evening? Or other suppliment? Could anything of those break the fast?

What exactly is the cause of breaking the fast and why do things like butter not break it?

Comments

• Any food breaks a fast. Only way to fast is drink water. Butter does break a fast
  • sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

As far as Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting, the Bulletproof Coffee does not break your fast per-se. The term 'fast' in this sense more accurately represents being in a state of ketosis. In this particular instance, the fast is only broken by a sufficient amount of carbs (think 30+ grams of carbs). 

Fasting can have qualifiers attached to it as well, such as a juice fast, apple fast, water fast, ceremonial fasting (which is done without water in many cases!) etc. 

Fun fact, breakfast actually comes from breaking the fast that began when you went to sleep. It makes one wonder if someone who is sleeping while hooked up to an I.V. nutrient drip or digesting a large meal as they sleep is fasting... ;)

• It doesn't take 30+ grams of carbs to break a fast - protein or low amount of carbs will break bulletproof intermittent fasting by definition.

Otherwise i would be technically bulletproof fasting every day, all day, since i rarely eat over 30g carbs.

Bulletproof Rapid Fat Loss Protocol is technically a prolonged Bulletproof Intermittent Fast.

30g of carbs a day is the accepted threshold for nutritional ketosis (30-50g, depending on who you ask, and depending on your body and other factors). 

And yes - a fast is really just a term, and the terminology is poorly managed. 

Water fast, juice fast, protein fast (abstaining from protein whereas water and juice fasts mean exclusively... silly english language and the way we use it).

I've even considered a bone broth fast... which technically has carbs, protein, and fats.

So really depends on your definition.

Generically "fasting" refers only to consuming water. But it takes on a whole bunch of other meanings now too.

Rob

I was specifically addressing intermittent fasting, which relies on remaining in a state of metabolic ketosis, not merely breaking any fast. I forgot to mention the protein (hopefully there is no meat in the OP's coffee!).

What amount constitutes a low amount of carbs when breaking a Bulletproof Intermittent Fast? I've only ever heard 'ketosis' being given as the delineation line, and the 30+g of carbs as you stated is the threshold for ketosis.

In addition to rarely eating over 30g of carbs, do you also avoid protein? As you said, enough protein would take you right out of the Bulletproof Intermittent Fast, even if you ate less than 30g of carbs.

• robbellrobbell
    edited May 2015

With Bulletproof IF - Ketosis is not the line between fasting and not. Hence why it's "intermittent". 

I mention protein because some people put collagen in their BP Coffee (and it's a recommendation in some circumstances).

I'm in nutritional ketosis all the time. 24hrs a day, but i am not fasting (BPIF) all the time. 

I have BP Coffee in the morning, lunch can either be bone broth and dark chocolate, or a small meal, including fat / carbs (from non-starchy veggies) / protein. 

I recently started tracking macros out of curiosity. I home-make basically all of my food so it's not perfect (i measure, but don't make my food separately to the family etc, so serving size is estimated visually), but fairly accurate. I've attached a few screenshots for the last few days.

My blood-ketones measure up to 4.7mmol/L (highest measured last week). Usually about 1.5-2.0mmol before any food in the morning. So i'm in solid ketosis.

I don't avoid protein at all. Protein still makes up to 15% of my macros, but fat is 75-80%. 

This can change, and i'm still eating bacon, eggs, beef, lamb, chicken etc. 

I even had a huge plate of oven-roasted veggies last night (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) in some olive oil. I had a few slices of bacon on the side. i'm not deliberately avoiding any types of food, just roughly trying to hit those macros.

I guess what i'm getting at is that fasting (any type of fasting) and ketosis are distinct things. 

You can fast without getting into ketosis, and you can be in ketosis without fasting.

Rob

EDIT - Macros in the pics are Gross carbs too. Net carbs are less since most of that is from veggies. And net carbs is the ketosis influence.

That is awesome, thanks for the clarification and for the macro breakdown! If more diet gurus would break down their daily intake like this these terms would be more well defined.

I guess what i'm getting at is that fasting (any type of fasting) and ketosis are distinct things. 

You can fast without getting into ketosis, and you can be in ketosis without fasting.

Rob

I am in 100% agreement. That's the trouble with these more generic terms being applied to very specific metabolic processes, which you already mentioned. Silly englishes!

• That is awesome, thanks for the clarification and for the macro breakdown! If more diet gurus would break down their daily intake like this these terms would be more well defined.

I am in 100% agreement. That's the trouble with these more generic terms being applied to very specific metabolic processes, which you already mentioned. Silly englishes!

No worries mate. 

Bulletproof is a wide scale, and you don't have to be in ketosis to benefit from Bulletproof either, but personally i find deep ketosis works well for me. So those Macros are just what works for me at the moment (and have been fairly consistent, which is interesting, since i never tracked before, but tend to have relatively fixed habits when something works).

And yes - silly englishes :D

Rob

• What is that program/app you use to keep track of macros?

• What is that program/app you use to keep track of macros?

I just use MyFitnessPal, but you could just as easily use a spreadsheet... 

I am still looking for something better that allows testing of other things like bloodwork, even just ketones... 

Rob

• Anything consumed that your body will store as glycogen breaks your fast. Excess protein will be stored as the human body through gluconeogenesis can make glucose from amino's. Thus the moderate protein profile for ketosis, however this fast is from anything that can be converted to glycogen so, you wont be consuming protein. Only medium chain fat from coconut oil and butter. MCFA's  are quickly turned into ketone bodies (fuel) and keeps your body in a fat metabolism. Your body will also make ketone bodies from your fat stores if you are starving, however it thinks it is starving when only consuming mct's (medium chain triglyceride) because it is not given glucose or carbohydrate.... or protein for that matter. The term fast just simply implies that you are refraining from consuming something, whatever that may be.

• Hi there - I'm brand new and have a question. I'm on day 4 of the Rapid Fat Loss Protocol and have felt a little light headed.  Today I drank 8 oz of organic chicken bone broth (30 cal, 9 grams of protein).  Is this enough protein to stall ketosis?  I just ordered the book, but don't have it yet.  Would love any thoughts anyone can share on this.  Thanks!

• Hi guys, newbie here! I've been following the bulletproof diet for a few weeks now and been getting positive results. Stupidly though, I've ran out if coffee whilst waiting for my Amazon order. For the last couple of days I've had to use another brand. Potential problem being it has 11 calories in it, 1.9g from carbs and 0.6 gram from protein. Is this likely to affect my fast or are the amounts minimal enough that it shouldn't bother me? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Hi guys, newbie here! I've been following the bulletproof diet for a few weeks now and been getting positive results. Stupidly though, I've ran out if coffee whilst waiting for my Amazon order. For the last couple of days I've had to use another brand. Potential problem being it has 11 calories in it, 1.9g from carbs and 0.6 gram from protein. Is this likely to affect my fast or are the amounts minimal enough that it shouldn't bother me? Any advice would be appreciated.

I assume you are doing Bulletproof fasting? In other words 'fasting' while drinking BPC?

• Hi there. yes, my typical day is a bulletproof coffee (with kerrygold butter and upgraded mct oil) when I wake up about 7.30am. I then tend to eat around 1.30pm and then 7.30pm. Typically I consume about 65% fat, 25% protein, 10% carbs through the full day.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Hi there. yes, my typical day is a bulletproof coffee (with kerrygold butter and upgraded mct oil) when I wake up about 7.30am. I then tend to eat around 1.30pm and then 7.30pm. Typically I consume about 65% fat, 25% protein, 10% carbs through the full day.

Butter and MCT have a lot more calories than brewed coffee, so don't worry about it. Brewed coffee from Bulletproof beans will have small amounts of calories too.