Bulletproof Mayo

Hey Guys,

I am a huge fan of mayo - especially helmans. But we all know that it's poison... So lately I've been experimenting on making a good and tasty bulletproof mayo - I've tried:

Avocado mayo - meh - green and not very tasty or "mayonesy"

Extra virgin olive oil mayo - bitter as hell - not a good choise

Coconut oil mayo - hard and tasteless

Now I am considering MCT oil mayo but it's going to be expensive image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> so I am wondering if anyone has a good and tasty recepie image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Best Regards,

Jimmy

Comments

• I commend you on your mayo experiments lol, i'm rooting for you.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    Did you try this?

'Dave wrote:
    Dave Asprey: Sorry, homemade mayonnaise is not okay. It’s awesome as long as you make it with the right oil. Some people try to make it with olive oil and it tastes like crap. Olive oil based mayonnaise is gross so a lot of people say try to use soybean or canola oil. That’s not okay. What is really good is about half of an avocado, a couple eggs — basically one or two eggs, you can use just the yolk or you can use the whole egg, it works either way — add in the other mayonnaise ingredients which are some vinegar or other kind of other sour tasting juice sometimes lime, some salt. You hit it with a blender and you come out with something that’s slightly green and yellow because of the eggs and the avocado which is sort of the thing that makes it stick together but you will find that that is a profoundly good mayonnaise. I’ve never had anyone come to my house who didn’t love it. Oh, I forgot. The oil that you use is medium chain triglyceride oil. It has no flavor whatsoever so you put basically a big squirt of that in there until you have the right consistency and it’s a mayonnaise that helps you lose weight and it tastes amazing. So yes, homemade mayonnaise, go for it!
  • I tried the avocado but didn't add MCT...so I guess I'm gonna give it a try cos I really need a good mayo image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • This sounds promising! I used to eat artichoke leaves and the heart after steaming them and then dipping them in melted butter or mayo with some lemon juice. I'm thinking I might try this BP mayo or use grass fed butter now. Any thoughts on how this won't be BP? There's nothing worse than thinking you've found a meal or snack that works and find out you didn't think of something that makes it not!
  • Sounds promising! I've also been looking into making a BP Hollandaise sauce and I've found this recipe, minus the white pepper it seems pretty Bulletprrof to me;

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/12073/basic+hollandaise+sauce

What do you guys think? This will really top off my smoked salmon, poached eggs and avocado in the morning! image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

What about other condiments? Anyone else got some recipes to share so we can spice things up??
  • No thoughts on the Hollandaise recipes above?

Cant' wait to try this mayo when I get back home...... image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • oK, I'm going to try to make this mayo tonight. I will let you know how I go! I might even whip up a little Hollandaise too image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

• Did you try this?

Dave mentions adding vinegar to the mayo recipe, does he mean apple cider vinegar or like, just normal white vinegar?

...or would I be better off skipping that altogether and just squeezing some fresh limes into it?
  • [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The Hollandaise recipe seems bulletproof to me image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I always eat my salmon with some heavy cream on the side and I really suggest you give it a try its AWSOME :)i[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I haven't had time to try the MCT Mayo but I'm planning to do that. I am thinkin...is there another BP oil that doesn't smell and is liquid in the fridge image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I found this recipe [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]http://dishragdiaries.com/recipes/condiments-extras/hellmanns-lovers-rejoice/[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]for a Paleo hellman's mayo and it looks BP to me except she suggest 1 cup high-oleic safflower oil, or oil/ blend of your choice which I am not sure about [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]But I plan to change it for MCT [/font]
  • 'Mykll wrote:

Dave mentions adding vinegar to the mayo recipe, does he mean apple cider vinegar or like, just normal white vinegar?

...or would I be better off skipping that altogether and just squeezing some fresh limes into it?

He referred to apple cider vinegar most likely. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • I'm doing this tonight to mix through my own coleslaw that I'm going to attempt to make. Going to shred red and white cabbage with some organic carrots and leek to replace the red onion and even throw a little rep capsicum into it too image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Homemade mayo with a splash of red wine vinegar and some dill, mixed up and coated over ingredients. Chill for an hour or so and BOOM!

I will have this for lunch tomorrow as well as a side dish to my BBQ pork ribs tonight (...having a little cheat) and thinly slice my eye fillets to mix through for a hit of grass fed beef! I'll cook these tonight and just have them cold tomorrow with the slaw.

YUuummmm! image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • edited March 2014

I make mayonaise all the time (not a euphemism) and put it over sardines and mash it into a tuna salad.

I use this recipe from nomnompaleo, and use macadamia or avocado oil, and I throw in some MCT too.

Probably not bulletproof if you use macadmia oil, but pretty good, and it takes about 2 minutes to make.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3440774534/paleo-mayonnaise

Edit: I made this again, but replaced the 3/4 of a cup of oil with half a whole avocado and just a dash of macadamia oil, less than 1/8 of a cup, and it was incredible. I actually used a whole avocado, and doubled the rest of the recipe, but still only used a little oil, and so this is delicious, and way more economical. 3/4 of a cup of avocado or macadamia oil is expensive!

• Avo, raw egg yolks, acv, sea salt, mct. blended.

It has a mayo-esque taste :)

• Wait, whats wrong with using olive oil? I've made it with olive oil, eggs, lemon juice and salt... tasted fine. Used a whole jar of Braggs Olive oil and a dozen eggs, blend on high until creamy.

• I think that olive oil had a high omega 6:3 ratio (pls correct me if I am wrong on this...I didn't look it up) as well as it is hard to get the real, good and true olive oil. 

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• ok...yeah. Thanks!  I hate the taste of most olive oil I have tried.

• I hated olive oil for a long time but I enrolled in the fresh pressed club to get the free bottle and then forgot to cancel my membership and got a shipment and have to say it's been so delicious I've kept my subscription and got another shipment. Huge difference from even the highest quality organic olive oils I've tried. Crazy expensive though.
  • Yeah, and I can't get it here in Canada.

• This Paleo version has been my favorite. Fairly simple to make and tastes good. I am sure you could substitute or add to the ingredients and make a more custom one for your liking...

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

• I don't understand the issue here.  I have a Spanish cookbook and believe that the recipe 'out of the box' is bulletproof.  It's just salt, eggs, lemon juice and olive oil.  Here is a variant just omit the garlic for bulletproofiness

http://spanishfood.about.com/od/tapas/r/Alioli.htm

Just remember when using raw eggs to wash them with soap before cracking them as there can be nasty stuff on the outer shell.

• edited March 2014

It is BP but many do not like the strong taste of olive oil...not to mention how hard it is to get good quality stuff that doesn't taste awful! That is why mayo companies use a less strong of a flavored oil...even the "olive oil" hellmans is mostly canola and a bit of olive oil. Its the same shit....

• True, if I was making homemade mayo I would just use melted butter then. Problem solved and bulletproofiness retained.  It's just a fat you need to use right?  Or get crazy and use beef tallow or bacon fat.  Imagine that bacon and mayo together, that may open a wormhole or something.

• OMG...bacon fat...why didn't I ever think of that! I have a jar in the fridge from the last few weeks of slow cooked bacon! YUM

• Well, Macadamia nut oil makes great mayonnaise!....its bullet proof right?

• My father used to make the best mayo  - Egg Yolks, Olive Oil, Mustard and a little Tomato Paste. I know you said the olive oil mayo you made was bitter, but I can assure you, that this combo is delicious! Really really good on all seafood, especially lobster! ha! 

• What about aioli? Seems BP based on ingredients...

Trying to go Bulletproof. Notes on http://bulletproof30day.blogspot.com/

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Ingredients look decent. Only problem is you will smell like aioli forever.  <_< 

• @Shadoweaver said:
    Hey Guys,

I am a huge fan of mayo - especially helmans. But we all know that it's poison... So lately I've been experimenting on making a good and tasty bulletproof mayo - I've tried:

Avocado mayo - meh - green and not very tasty or "mayonesy"

Extra virgin olive oil mayo - bitter as hell - not a good choise

Coconut oil mayo - hard and tasteless

Now I am considering MCT oil mayo but it's going to be expensive /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> so I am wondering if anyone has a good and tasty recepie /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Best Regards,

Jimmy

Try Avo oil & MTC with egg (or just yolk). Use acv, salt, cayenne pepper, and stevia or honey to taste. Most mayo has sugar in it. This may be the flavor you are missing.