What's The Best Blender To Use For Bpc?

We've been through 4 blenders in the last 5 months.  Started with the magic bullet 'cuz we already owned one.  Cups all cracked.  Moved on to an Oster blender (also already owned) and the plastic jug cracked. Great excuse to buy a Ninja!  But alas, that cracked after one use and the rubber seals were melting & crumbling as well. We returned it and decided to try a blender with a glass jug, so we bought a Black & Decker model that has a glass jug but still has a plastic base. Now after a week of use, the plastic base just cracked and broke off.  Help!  

At this point I'm scared to be the big spender and go for the Vitamix or BlendTec because they are also plastic jugs and I'm worried they'll crack.  Anyone else experience problems with blending hot liquids and come up with a solution?

Tagged:

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

What type of Oster did you have? I own an Oster Versa and it's great for making BPC. Been using it months now with no problems. Makes a mean smoothie, too.

Vitamix and Blendtec are top-of-the-line, though. If you pick up one of those, I think you can confidently make BPC in it for ages without ever worrying about it crapping out on you. And if it does, I believe they'll replace the broken parts or the entire machine. Even the refurbished machines have warranties.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

This has withstood Bulletproofâ„¢ Coffee, margaritas, chocolate mudslides, chili verde, homemade salsa, kale shakes, ice blocks, vitamin concoctions, frozen rocks and roofing tar. If you break this then YOU have problems. $70

0003426441595_500X500.jpg

http://www.oster.com/blenders-and-juicers/kitchen-blenders/oster-heritage-blend-400-blender---brushed-stainless/BPCT02-BA0-NP0.html

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

But in order to make BP coffee with the glass blender jar, don't you have to preheat it?

Could be that I'm a lazy bastard, but that's an extra step I could do without.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

You can preheat it if you wish, but no cute alien species will go extinct if you don't. I usually rinse my blender before I use it (ah, the perks of dirt roads!) so I rinse it with water that will melt your face.
  • Had it over a 6 months. Love it, but its UK. It is incredible value for money. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-Blend-Active-Personal-Blender-White/dp/B00DGLUW4E/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen-appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1433885263&sr=1-2&keywords=breville

The cheap blender i bought before this leaked from the start, This one doesen't. I have been wondering what the nutribullet does that mine can't and what the big deal was - One of the Amazon reviews

nutribullet without the hefty price tag.

• This has withstood Bulletproofâ„¢ Coffee, margaritas, chocolate mudslides, chili verde, homemade salsa, kale shakes, ice blocks, vitamin concoctions, frozen rocks and roofing tar. If you break this then YOU have problems. $70

http://www.oster.com/blenders-and-juicers/kitchen-blenders/oster-heritage-blend-400-blender---brushed-stainless/BPCT02-BA0-NP0.html

How does this fare against making "Green Smoothies" my main intention for getting one is for green smoothies with mostly veggies. My current blender is from  last decade and does a horrible job at liquefying any sort of vegetable.

It is no Vitamix. A NutraBullet will liquefy nicely, but won't play well with high heat apparently. You can get specialty blades for this Beehive, check out the link I provided.

• What type of Oster did you have? I own an Oster Versa and it's great for making BPC. Been using it months now with no problems. Makes a mean smoothie, too.

Vitamix and Blendtec are top-of-the-line, though. If you pick up one of those, I think you can confidently make BPC in it for ages without ever worrying about it crapping out on you. And if it does, I believe they'll replace the broken parts or the entire machine. Even the refurbished machines have warranties.

No clue what kind of Oster.  It was close to 20 years old!

• edited June 2015

This has withstood Bulletproofâ„¢ Coffee, margaritas, chocolate mudslides, chili verde, homemade salsa, kale shakes, ice blocks, vitamin concoctions, frozen rocks and roofing tar. If you break this then YOU have problems. $70

This looks like what we're looking for.  Thanks so much.  

PS - we just ordered this on Amazon for $54.  a bit less than the Oster website price of $69.  Just FYI for anyone else looking to buy.

• NickatNickat
    edited June 2015
    When buying a blender just make sure the contents are blended in glass and it is heat resistent. We have had trouble with lids popping of and hot liquids splashing out. If you look for a blender try and get a low powered one with a heat resistent secure lid. We had thought that a soup type blender might be better than smoothie type blenders. Anyone make coffee in a soup blender?

I expect the vitamix is really useful because their is a blend dial that can slowly increas the speed. That helps eliminates splash.
  • The Thermo mix is the best blender I've used
  • jcg3jcg3 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

I like the cuisinart I got a while back - the to-go cups aren't that comfortable with hot coffee in them, so I'll transfer to a coffee cup with a handle instead...

That blender has a few nice features - the Aeropress fits perfectly on the to-go cups. Having 4 of the to-go cups also allows me to prep a few different drinks the night before - butter/xct in one, protein shake in another, etc. and then I just make coffee or add liquids the next morning.

I also have a bigger blender like the Oster linked above - it just ended up being a pain-in-the-butt to clean it every time I used it. I also have an immersion blender, but that has it's own issues... mostly the fact that it spills and I have to have huge cups to use it effectively.

With the cuisinart cleanup is a lot simpler for me. Rinse out the to-go cup and dump it in the dishwasher. Rinse off the blade and set it out to dry.

I'm mildly worried that the plastic seal may eventually wear out... but I've been using it multiple times a day for about 4 months now, couldn't be happier. Your mileage may vary.

• I believe the fats have some kind of leeching effect on plastic containers.
  • My Thermomix does the job for me, & you can make it hotter which I like.
  • I have the same Oster and it's great, however, I don't like waking up the kids early in morning so quite often just use this frother right in the mug. Keeps everything piping hot in my stainless mug and a lot less clean up!

• Ive had no issues with my ninja
  • jcg3jcg3 ✭✭✭

@SMarten - I have a little frother too - does it do enough to emulsify the oil and butter into the coffee for you?

I used to just put butter, xct/octane and coffee in a Kleen Kanteen and shake the crap out of it... that works in a pinch, but I find the blender does a better job of breaking the fats into micelles than just shaking it. Or at least, that's what I believe.

I might have to go try some side-by-side taste tests now...

• immersion blender in a big mason jar. Very easy to clean and I always a have an extra jar or two around in case i was too busy to clean yesterday's. Depending on the type of glass - preheat to avoid cracking from pouring hot coffee in. 

• http://prntscr.com/7tbf0n

That thing on the left works perfect (I put everything in that thing on the right). That thing in the middle doesn't work. Very easy to clean too.

• This has withstood Bulletproofâ„¢ Coffee, margaritas, chocolate mudslides, chili verde, homemade salsa, kale shakes, ice blocks, vitamin concoctions, frozen rocks and roofing tar. If you break this then YOU have problems. $70

is it glass? 

i hear vitamix is NOT heat safe, contacted 'em yesterday

Yes. The link below the picture is clickable and will provide you with all the specs.

• I have a Nutribullet Pro 900, and been using it since early September. Just this week I noticed a small crack. I suspect it is because of temperature shocking the plastic by pouring near boiling water into it, even with warm water already in it. I'm working on having Nutribullet replace the cup (fingers crossed) and will only add hot tap water now, and let it cool down on its own after making the BP Coffee. 

• I just got a Oster MyBlend comes with two 20oz blending glasses plastic but holds in the heat nice i have been using this for a week now with no problems at all. Very easy and simple to use for 29.00 it was worth every penny used my Bed Bath @Beyond 20% discount 23 buck plus tax. Blends the coffee just as good as my big blender easy clean up great for traveling once coffee is done 20 seconds later your having BP joe.

• We use a high powered, plug in immersion blender and a big glass beaker. Works perfectly and minimal cleanup.

We used to use a plastic beaker but it cracked really quickly. I would always try and go for a glass container.
  • AndreasAndreas ✭✭
    edited September 2015

A blender needs:

a glass temperature resistant container,

sufficient capacity or some control of the fluid turbulence to keep the contents from splashing out of the container,

a wickedly powerful motor, and

a speed dial to gradually increase speed.  

And it should not look stupidly ugly on the countertop in the kitchen.  I'd prefer an elegant minimalist design, but that's just me.

Surprisingly difficult to find.

Seems like the world needs a $1000+ BULLETPROOF BLENDER.

Maybe as an attachment to an amped up Vibration Plate.

Dave?

A blender needs:

a glass temperature resistant container,

sufficient capacity or some control of the fluid turbulence to keep the contents from splashing out of the container,

a wickedly powerful motor, and

a speed dial to gradually increase speed.  

And it should not look stupidly ugly on the countertop in the kitchen.  I'd prefer an elegant minimalist design, but that's just me.

Surprisingly difficult to find.

Seems like the world needs a $1000+ BULLETPROOF BLENDER.

Maybe as an attachment to an amped up Vibration Plate.

Dave?

I still prefer 1 speed: On

The Oster Beehive (Amazon has them for $53 right now) I picked up is outperforming the Vitamix swank that our local workout shop uses for their smoothies. Frozen fruit & whey protein into frosty creamy goodness in under a minute, for under $100. How can you beat that?! And it sounds like a turbine when you turn it on. I wish I had an affiliate link for these things! It even has BPC in the model number. BPC - Bulletproof Coffee, eh? eh?

Oster BPCT02-BA0-000 6-Cup Glass Jar 2-Speed Toggle Beehive Blender, Brushed Stainless

• I use a magic bullet and been through 2 bases, 4 blades and over 10+ mugs in the last 3 years.

I buy spare mugs, blades and have bough 3 spare bases off eBay for a fairly reasonable price.

I've got 3 bases and tonnes of mugs as you get 5 with a set. Found the mugs last quite a while and the blades even longer.

Burnt one base out and just have one fail due to something coming loose and rattling around inside.

You normally get a few warnings before the mugs fail. Broken tabs and slight leaks. Time to bin them and start with a new one.

An ongoing costs of the Bulletproof Coffee Lifestyle  

Feel a glass jug would be a little risky, due to temperature changes. Could see the glass exploding, whereas the plastic just cracks. No evidence, just a feeling.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

Feel a glass jug would be a little risky, due to temperature changes. Could see the glass exploding, whereas the plastic just cracks. No evidence, just a feeling.

3/16" borosilicate glass. If you put it in the freezer before dumping hot coffee into it you deserve everything that happens. 

• I've been using the Oster Beehive for about 10 years. It works great and I've had no problems.  It completely liquefies vegetables, fruits, etc.  I like having a glass jar, rather than plastic, but I do pour some warm water in it to heat it a bit before I put hot things in it for making soup.  No glass explosions so far!

•  Hey guys, I have been doing BP coffee for awhile now, I read these boards but have never felt compelled to post, til now ...

I know you asked about a blender but I use a simple BlenderBottle like this ...