Grass Fed - Sprouted Grain Fed

What is your opinion on sprouted grains fed to cattle. I have a local producer that states the following on his web site.  Would like to see what, if anything, that would take away from the majority of the feed being grass.

"Their animals are mostly grass fed, and what grain is fed is sprouted first, to release the enzyme inhibiting factors, thus increasing the nutrient value of the grain. They never use distiller’s grain."

Thanks....

Comments

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

That is exactly how I would recommend feeding any grain feed to animals if you absolutely had to. As long as the grain is mold free and of a decent quality. Chickens fed with sprouted grains grow faster and produce eggs with higher Omega-3 content and darker yolks. Your local producer sounds on top of things, care to share the site URL?

• Thanks for your reply.

Absolutely will share! I am in the west part of Missouri

I misspoke about seeing it on a website, but here is the info.

Rich HillBack Acres Farm, The Guenther family, Rich Hill MO, phone: 417-395-4983, email:[email protected]. Raw milk from Jersey cross cows and Nubian/Alpine/Saanen goats. Their animals are mostly grass fed, and what grain is fed is sprouted first, to release the enzyme inhibiting factors, thus increasing the nutrient value of the grain. They never use distiller’s grain. Animals are grazed on annually soil tested pasture, with minerals, etc. added accordingly. Also, probiotics, and mineral supplements are given regularly. Milk sold by the half-gallon and gallon.

I think me and the kids are going to churn some grass fed butter!

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

Sounds like you struck gold there! You can make butter very simply in a blender or even in mason jars, and you can make homemade cheese. I have a feeling they would even let you assist in the butchering process if you go about it the right way. I extend my jealousy!