Official Hangouts With Hooper Thread

John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

This is an official thread dedicated to FYG Hangouts with Hooper. If you haven't seen the first stream:

I need a favor from everyone.

Post a question or two you want answered on this thread and we will give our answer to it on the podcast the best we can.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

Comments

• steve001steve001
    edited June 2015

Please go over Quinoa sensitivity, i had bad reactions to it very similar to my gluten sensitivities.

Also I am sensitive to the Choline in lecithin (both soy and sunflower) but I tolerate choline bitartrate just fine.

Also HEMP and Whey protein isolate as a legitimate low FODMAP protein source?

Thanks. Great stream BTW!!!

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Question re: cinnamon.

I use Cassia cinnamon. I understand that Cassia cinnamon, in particular, is high in the anticoagulant Coumarin, which can be a hepatotoxin. Now, I only use cinnamon in small amounts in my cooking, or in brewing my coffee. I throw it in with my coffee grounds in a paper filter and then do a pour-over. I have read that Coumarin is fat soluble, so if this is the case, does it mean that all of the Coumarin is going to be left behind in the grounds, rather than making it into my cup of coffee? I'm interested in the health benefits of cinnamon, especially in the blood glucose-lowering effects, and Tim Ferris has recommended Cassia cinnamon in particular for this purpose. I just want to mitigate the risks and 'hack' the Cassia, if possible.

Kind of a weird question, but I've asked around about this in the past and haven't been able to get a good answer. Any thoughts? I know a lot of us enjoy using cinnamon in BP coffee.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

Oh, hey, if you guys have any hacks regarding Gingivitis I'd love to hear about 'em!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• NickatNickat
    edited June 2015
    Great start guys. Informative info and particularly interested in adrenal/cortisol/thyroid issues and the lack of sweating. Kat never sweats during or after excercise and although she has removed part of her thyroid recently because of a cancer scare, she has been tested and the thyroid seems "normal". Maybe time to get retested. We're also huge fans of the squat potty. It's awesome! Awesome work and will look out for you next streaming. Can you keep them all in the same place though like a library?
  • The deal with fermented foods - Looking to integrate saeurkraut along with my resistant starch prebiotic, and the whole fermentation food thing seems to have gone mainstream with possibly a lot of misinformation. When to take, what brand, what to watch out for??

• Andy BoskampAndy Boskamp Andy Boskamp

Please review fat-soluble vitamins - D3 & K2 supplemental dosages and/or ratios. Optimal D3 level? Is there a test for K2 repletion? In particular, how does this relate to arterial calcification? Can calcification be reversed?

IR light therapy - Is it safe to use IR LED lights on the gut? I know Dave has mentioned this in the past, and I personally benefit from LLLT on the gut occasionally. Still, I'm hesitant to do this more than 1-2x/wk.

Mitochondrial enhancers - Is there a need to cycle, if so, why? Certain functional foods like cacao have effects on the mitochondria, but nobody talks about cycling chocolate consumption. What makes a supplement like Ubiquinol different?

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

• I heard Tim Ferriss speak about gut flora on someones podcast. He said after Lyme, and the treatment. He tried to restore his gut flora.  What would be the best way to restore gut flora after the antibiotic usage? Or best way to maintain a healthy gut flora 

I've experimented a little with oil pulling in the past. Maybe I should try it again.

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

Some things to consider: 

Oil Pulling - Are We Missing Something Here?

A brief history of the oil pulling trend and its emergence in the West, courtesy of the fine folks at Skeptoid:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4409

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Somewhat trivial question, so I certainly won't mind if it doesn't make it into the next hangout: what is proper disposal for unused antibiotics (azithromycin, in my case?) Obviously not a huge deal to just send it to the landfill, but I'd like to not contribute to the general overabundance of antibiotics in the environment. 

• Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

I think we might have to do a separate Q&A video.  We have well over an hour's worth of content here.

• For now, they will be archived on my YouTube channel.  You can subscribe to get updates and what not.  They will also be posted on Fix Your Gut.

Great start guys. Informative info and particularly interested in adrenal/cortisol/thyroid issues and the lack of sweating. Kat never sweats during or after excercise and although she has removed part of her thyroid recently because of a cancer scare, she has been tested and the thyroid seems "normal". Maybe time to get retested. We're also huge fans of the squat potty. It's awesome! Awesome work and will look out for you next streaming. Can you keep them all in the same place though like a library?

• Heres something weird. I notice that going on low fodmap my BO doesnt smell as bad. Whats the deal with this??? I used to easily stink up a whole room???

• What are some good first steps for someone to look into their gut health? Is there a gut health equivalent to the wellness fx baseline blood work? I'm talkin about folks who don't suffer any debilitating problems, but want to make sure things are relatively functional and that there aren't problems accumulating. What are some signs and symptoms we can pay attention to in daily life and ways we can respond? Like, I just read an article on Eat to Perform saying you should poop after every meal, is that accurate? Cause I definitely don't do that.
  • Here is our first Q&A.  We will probably do one of these a week in addition to the live stream.  The A/V quality is pretty poor in some parts, so I apologize in advance.