Official Hangouts With Hooper Thread

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Great subject, also still waiting on Fix Your Mitochondria.  ;)

• I didn't track why saponified oil in soaps was so toxic, but it seems that this would be a bombshell for most of us if it has merit.  What exactly is saponification and why does Weiss say it make fats that would otherwise be fine for the gut biome toxic to the skin biome?

• Andy BoskampAndy Boskamp Andy Boskamp

Excellent show guys!

Coincidentally, I just tried PurBlack shilajit for the first time last week. I'm blown away by the effect, which for me was euphoric, similar to phenylpiracetam (which I only use very occasionally).

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited June 2015

More great content, thanks guys. I caught most of the last one live, which was cool. Also, it was great to see a little difference of opinion (in this case on nootropics) on a health podcast! I think hearing a respectful difference of opinions is a better way to learn and consider new information than the constant agreement we see so often in the online health podcast world. Good stuff from Larry Weiss too, I'm off to check my soaps for benzalkonium chloride... I knew many cleaning products have problematic chemicals, but I hadn't specifically heard the argument that they contain adjuvants (things that ramp up immune response) before. So many modern chronic diseases seem to involve over-response by the immune system, so this is a very interesting claim to explore. Also, when my non-health-conscious friends say "we've been eating wheat for millennia, why is it an issue now?" the idea that we've over-excited our immune system with all these chemicals is a pretty good retort. (Obviously along with dwarf wheat, more processing, etc.) 

Yo, people, subscribe to the YouTube channel! Not only will you get to learn a bunch of cool stuff from two smart biohackers, but you might win free stuff! Like I did with free Unfair Advantage  :cool:

Subscribe! 

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I believe we are going to do another Q and A soon get your questions in please.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• I send Dr. Weiss an e-mail about this and this was his reply:

Saponification is the chemical process by which "true soaps" are made from animal and vegetable oils.    It isn't the process of saponification that is the problem, it is the soaps that are made by this process.  We have tested them and found that they are among the most toxic to AOB.   We don't yet understand the basis for this but it is not pH since we normalize the pH for the test.

I didn't track why saponified oil in soaps was so toxic, but it seems that this would be a bombshell for most of us if it has merit.  What exactly is saponification and why does Weiss say it make fats that would otherwise be fine for the gut biome toxic to the skin biome?

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

Subscribed, I will be marathoning these while painting my house!

• Excellent show guys!

Coincidentally, I just tried PurBlack shilajit for the first time last week. I'm blown away by the effect, which for me was euphoric, similar to phenylpiracetam (which I only use very occasionally).

Wow, really??? I used it solid for 2 months and got nada except an upset stomach. Still have half left how.

Was pretty expensive importing it into Europe. 

Subscribed. 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Excellent episode. Listened to it this morning while making breakfast. Subscribed!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

You know what would be awesome? A show on growing an optimized garden. All about gardening, soil quality, optimal varieties of veggies, etc. That'd be really interesting.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• This would be easier to do if I had visuals.  The donations keep rolling in, and we will be upgrading our equipment shortly so that we can overlay images and videos .

You know what would be awesome? A show on growing an optimized garden. All about gardening, soil quality, optimal varieties of veggies, etc. That'd be really interesting.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Need more questions people! We are going to do another Q and A soon. Thank everyone for the continued support.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• List of top 5 supplements everyone should take daily for improved health: timing of day to take, dose,quality trusted brand and rank of importance.

I got frustrated with Bulletproof when I could open my cabinet anymore due to overflowing supplements. I was up to 25 different supplements a day and finally realize how insane it was to continue. Now I take K2 200 mcg, iodine 225mcg, Vitamin C 4 grams divided doses, Mg Glycinate 600 mg and Vitamin D during winter months. What are general health recommendations?
  • Do you recommend testing for gut biome like ubiome? Can were really alter our biome