Official Hangouts With Hooper Thread

Comments

• Bull of HeavenBull of Heaven ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

Do you recommend testing for gut biome like ubiome? Can were really alter our biome

I was just about to ask this.

Also I would love a discussion about how to separate fact from fiction. Conspiracy theories from more legitimate theories. Tricks that "alternative"  and naturopathic medicine uses to seduce people to their "side". Who's side should we be on? If that makes any sense.

How to avoid or deal with possible psychological conditions associated with people who try to pay attention to diet and nutrition? Orthorexia cures?

Thoughts on spirulina and chlorella? Who needs it and why? Dosages?

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I've got a question for you guys. I fired off an email to Mark Sisson about it, but I'm not sure he'll answer. I asked Dave about it too, but he never answered it to my knowledge.

Canned fish. A lot of us eat canned wild salmon and sardines. How does the omega 3 in canned fish hold up? I understand that processes will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but are canned fish still a good source of O3? I realize that cooking fresh fish at home or eating raw fish is probably best of all, but for those of us who have limited funds or limited access to good fish, is quality canned fish still a good source of O3?

And how do you guys feel about eating more seafood on a weekly basis to get O3, rather than supplementing with Fish/Krill oil? For those of us who are paleo/BP and avoiding stuff like vegetable oil, is it possible to get all the O3 we need by eating seafood regularly? Is it advisable to seek O3 solely from whole food sources, or is supplementation a must?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Andy BoskampAndy Boskamp Andy Boskamp

Your opinion regarding amino acid supplements...

Glutamine for gut health? Taurine for heart health? Ornithine for lowering ammonia in the gut?

What is the difference between taking an isolated AA and getting them from whole foods?

In particular would there be a difference between consuming collagen vs. glycine, if one is aiming to consume therapeutic doses of glycine? (Like this study)

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

• Andy BoskampAndy Boskamp Andy Boskamp

How do you respond to Ray Peat's theory that we should avoid PUFA altogether?

Breast milk is a perfect food, and contains very little PUFA... is there a physiological need for PUFA?

If PUFA can cause changes in cell membrane structure, resulting in lipid peroxidation, should we really be consuming fish oil products? Maybe fish oil is only beneficial in the context of an omega-6 rich diet? Maybe lipid peroxidation from PUFA is actually hormetic?

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

i'll be Hangin with Mr. Hooper tonight at 8pm central, tune in!

I cannot wait.

Sorry about the delay in the new Q and A. We were going to a Q and A yesterday but my gpa fell and broke his femur and had to have surgery.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Could you guys discuss megadosing vitamin C? How many grams would be considered a megadose, and would it be worth it for an overall healthy individual to do this every once and a while? If so, what is the most optimal time to do this? 

Thanks, I subscribed keep up the good work! 

• Here is the interview with Tommy Distefano, also known as, Drumminangoleiro.  He is a really interesting guy and shows us some biohacks that we can use that do not involve popping pills.

• If you are interested, we will be doing another live stream tonight at 9pm (8pm central).  We will be talking about the decline of the American Healthcare Industry.  Check it out here:

https://plus.google.com/events/c03mq9u7ti0n6rsv5cutjjravm0

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

Watched the newest one during my lunch break at work. Excellent stuff, guys. It was cool seeing Drummin on! It was an interesting conversation. Looking forward to more. Despite posting a lot and reading a ton over the past few years, I find myself picking up or becoming reacquainted with a lot of valuable info in these. 

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• thanks! apologies for the crazy lighting and echo. i'm not sure if i had some video effect turned on or what, and i wonder if headphones would've alleviated the echo. 

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited July 2015

Good stuff! Cool to see you on, Drummin. I've always thought that the Survivorman show does a reasonably good job of going through survival scenarios like crashed planes, etc., do you agree?

i wonder if headphones would've alleviated the echo. 

Just for future reference, in my experience with regular hangouts (not On Air,) headphones often help a lot, because they eliminate the potential for mic feedback from your computer speakers. I think Google has some feedback prevention built in, but more people in the hangout and greater distance between the participants seems to overwhelm it. 

That said, I understood what you were saying. 

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

i honestly haven't watched much of that show, and i've heard some criticisms that a lot of his stuff is staged. i've been a little more into the long term primitive living skills vs. the acute catastrophe side of things. i like the idea of transforming the perspective of wilderness from a desolate, dangerous scary place to a navigable, resource-filled base that can support you if you have the knowledge and skills, as opposed to like, how to drink your own urine out of a snake skin or warm yourself up in the carcass of a large animal or whatever. out of all of those survival show celebrities my favorite is Ray Mears. his shows where he visits indigenous peoples around the world and explores their way of living are really good. he's also got a series where he looks at real survival stories that is really great. actually he'd make a great podcast guest! not that i have anything against having some plans set in place in the case of an acute catastrophe, i would like to explore the whole bug-out-bag/food storage/escape plan side of things a little more, but each scenario can be really different and i think that shifting that perception of nature from a place to fear to one that you can interact with is both practical and psychologically helpful. a lot of "survival experts" will tell you that your mindset is the biggest determining factor how well you'll do in an emergency situation vs. how well you've planned any potential catastrophe out. it's that ability to not freak out, think straight, and adapt to what's actually going on that is more likely to save you than a list of "what ifs", although the list of what ifs might be handy too! good excuse to regularly put yourself in a circle where people are trying to drop you on your ass, or innoculate yourself against the terror of your own mind through other intense experiences! 

but yeah, if i end up on the show again, i'm definitely using headphones. its amazing how much a slight echo can make it hard to think/communicate efficiently. also avoiding those crazy lights! um, like, uh, whoops! 

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited July 2015

You might be thinking of Man vs. Wild, which is definitely staged BS. Survivorman is one dude with a camera for 5-10 days with like an energy bar and a knife (a bit more for the 10 day ones.) I'll take a look at Ray Mears.

I definitely agree on changing one's view of nature though. I'm lucky enough to have gotten into nature regularly as a kid as well as led multi-day backpacking trips, so while I wouldn't say nature is resource-filled for me, since I can't identify edibles, it's definitely a place I'm very comfortable. More so than the city. I wouldn't be worried about surviving with decent clothes and a way to make a spark, just worried about getting a little hungry. The few times I've gone into the woods with exclusive city-dwellers and seen how nervous and overwhelmed it makes them, I've found it really unsettling. There's just something inherently messed up with that situation. With the increase in cell phone coverage and smartphones, I also worry that even people who do get into the woods regularly won't have a sense of direction.

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

ah yeah i was thinking of bear grylls mostly. les stroud does seem to be more legit, although it looks like people have questioned at least some of his shows too. 

dabbling in wild edibles can be a lot easier and more rewarding than you might think. i think it's harder to get a lot of calories, but they tend to supposedly have way more micronutrients. one of the easiest ones to start with would probably be wild spinach, aka goosefoot/lamb's quarters, etc. it's kind of ironic because i'll literally be pulling this "weed" out of my garden, even though it supposedly has been shown in some studies to have more fiber, beta-carotene, vitamin c, riboflavin, calcium, zinc, copper, potassium, lutein, and manganese than domesticated spinach (but it grows EVERYWHERE so whatever). its super easy to identify and not too strong tasting. if you live in north america you can almost definitely step out in your yard or go to a park and find some: whitegoosefoottop.jpg

this is a super awesome book for expanding your knowledge in the area: http://www.amazon.com/Edible-Wild-Plants-Adventure-Series/dp/1423601505

it doesn't have a LOT of plants, but it has in depth chapters on each plant, great pictures, and horribly unbulletproof recipes for the squeamish folks. 

yeah i hear ya on the whole disconnect with nature, another really solid book that really addresses that and gives some actually really good intro skills for bushcraft/survival is this: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/380615.Tom_Brown_s_Field_Guide_to_Nature_and_Survival_for_Children

even though it's "for kids", i think there is still a LOT for modern adults to get out of it, and i think anybody who is a parent should definitely own a copy.