Inversion Therapy

Does anyone have any experience with Inversion therapy / table? I got on one for a little while and it seemed like it was a relief on my back, I've been plagued with back issues mainly knots (multiple ones) and it is incredibly difficult getting up in the morning without it being sore, this happens with or without exercise, wanted to know if anyone has had any positive or negative experiences when using the table. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• TJ JTJ J skratta pa klocka
    I own an inversion table and only started using it daily after I had started eating bulletproof and getting back into shape. Pretty much all the "body hacking" I have done on myself (at least to begin this journey) has been multiple variable tests but I can pretty conclusively say that in my experience Inversion therapy has been great for my back and overall health. I think that rush to the head helps blood flow and with depression. I have heard these claims before and though it might be bro-science I would say I love all the therapeutic benefits of the table whether placebo or not.

On Robb Wolf's podcast I heard his co-host Greg? the weightlifting guru talk about how important decompression is when you are lifting weights. He mentioned hanging from a pull up bar and upside down inversion tables. He also said getting in a swimming pool can have similar results. I have found swimming therapy to be even better specifically for back problems....I leisurely do the breast stroke or doggy paddle in a pool after I lift and also on my "off" days.
  • Thanks for sharing your experience with the table waxpapersails44, I am going to give it a try and see how it makes me feel. I have a pool and don't seem to use it, I think I would be more comfortable in a salt water pool than the chlorine one I have, but thats another story!
  • Is it just for floating?

Are you supplementing with collagen?
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • TJ JTJ J skratta pa klocka
    I swim a lot and marinating in chlorine I know is not good for me ... or my 2 year old son who I am teaching to swim. I have never been in a salt water pool or a float tank. I have looked at buying a float tank but I feel like maintaining it would become a chore...problem is there aren't any public tanks in the state of WI...so it might be something I have to do more research on.

Can any private swimming pool be converted to a salt water pool?
  • I took a few yoga classes a while ago from an Iyengar Yoga teacher who really knew her stuff as far as anatomy, physiology, and physical therapy. She was really into inversion poses such as headstands and said they were one of the most beneficial yoga practices, for both physical and mental benefit, especially when held for extended periods of time. I didn't stick with the program long enough to try it myself but I believe her. It might be something to consider besides the inversion table kind of thing.
  • I regularly do this and I'll share my experience. I have a pull up bar and gravity boots.

Gravity boots for those not familiar: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13423477&findingMethod=rr

Anyways I use this to decompress my spine from the effects of gravity, I can use it to stretch (think light twisting), I also get creative with it and do things like cobra pose (yoga), I will meditate in this position, I can do inverted sit-ups (if not strong enough it's ok to pull at your legs to pull yourself up) and I do inverted squats (try these- very different than normal squats. You are actually pulling yourself up instead of pushing down).

I highly recommend it.
  • AndreasAndreas ✭✭
    edited January 2013
    I like inversion therapy. It just seems like it gives you something you can do when back pain hits that might help. In addition I've developed a broader back pain solution after years of trouble with it:
    • Hydration -- disks between vertebrae need lots of water.
    • Bone broth and lots of it (this also helps with hydration).
    • Potassium -- reduces or eliminates muscle spasms.
    • Over head squats -- difficult to do correctly, but arguably the best single exercise to develop core strength.
    • John E. Sarno -- Any of his books on back pain (Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, and attending physician at the Howard A. Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine, New York University Medical Center.) Serious guy, brilliant insight into how the mind interacts with the body (it's all in your head).

I've recommended Sarno's books to friends with debilitating acute sciatica, and they have literally risen from their beds pain free after simply reading the first chapter.
  • Tried Alexander technique?
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]