Himalayan Pink Sea Salt

Hi.

I heard Dave endorsing salt intake in the morning and he especially mentioned himalayan pink sea salt. When I googled it there where several claims that himalayan salt is a scam and that it contains large amounts of fluoride (which is a neurotoxin). Any thoughts? I just bought a package of this kind of salt, but I'm scared if it actually contains fluoride?

Any opinions on himalayan salt or which salt is the best cleanest must mineral rich salt?

PB-Himalayan-Salt.jpg

Giancoli

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

Fluoride occurs naturally in spring water and salt. It should only turn up in trace amounts. It's also different from the fluoride you'll find in, say, toothpaste or your city's tap water. I wouldn't worry about it, personally.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    I thought that fluoride is fluoride...

What makes you say it's different Skel

fake it till you make it

• edited June 2015

'Fluoride' is just the generic name for a compound with fluoride ions in it.

For example the 'fluorides' used in water fluoridation are Sodium Fluoride (NaF), Fluorosilicic Acid (H2SiF6) and Sodium Fluorosilicate (Na2SiF6).

Someone else can probably explain which is most commonly used (believe it's Fluorosilicic Acid in the US) and why it differs from naturally occurring fluorides in water - can't say I know enough about the subject,

Yes, I'm no expert on this, but the naturally occurring stuff is Calcium Fluoride, not the Sodium Fluoride used in tap water. There is a difference between the two, and Calcium Fluoride is more or less impossible to avoid in nature.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Further reading: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-fluoride-safe/#axzz3dyF148bg

Mark Sisson had a little write-up some time back about Fluoride. I think it makes for a good read.

• Im looking for a reliable vendor....I currently buy the Pink Himalayan Pink Salt  from my supermarket  but didn't do any research on the company....anybody knows a good vendor or should I just not worry about it.

edited June 2015

As long as it doesn't include any artificial colors or anything, I believe it's legit. Brand names and suppliers probably don't matter a whole lot with this kind of thing, though buying it in bulk from some suppliers will probably save you some coin.

For example.

• I thought that fluoride is fluoride...

What makes you say it's different Skel

That's like saying magnesium is magnesium, beef is beef, butter is butter.............

I don't think anyone here really needs to reiterate how untrue that is.

Oversimplification is possibly the biggest problem in the modern world.

Rob

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

That's like saying magnesium is magnesium, beef is beef, butter is butter.............

I don't think anyone here really needs to reiterate how untrue that is.

Oversimplification is possibly the biggest problem in the modern world.

Rob

yep. i was being slightly facetious. & i was probably thinking of fluorine (F) anyway, not fluoride (F-). In this context magnesium (Mg) is magnesium (Mg).

but i get your meaning. you made a bit of a leap with the beef and butter comments tho.

fake it till you make it

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Any idea why it's called "sea salt"? Here it is always sold as "rock salt".

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Pretty sure it comes from what used to be an ocean/sea that dried up thousands of years ago. May be wrong though.

• genao87genao87 ✭✭
    edited June 2015

Any idea why it's called "sea salt"? Here it is always sold as "rock salt".

The Himalayan Pink Salt comes from the Himalayan Mountains....alot of todays Earth was once underwater...in an ancient ocean....Mountains formed when two giant land masses collide and they just rise and rise and create mountains....so much that go above sea level and create new land.....that is what happen to the Himalayan Mountains...you can fossils of sea animals.

In fact,  most of the western United States was once underwater....which in the future will again be underwater.