Help With Athlete Macronutrient Plan Please

I'm a gymnast and I started the bulletproof about 2 months ago. Recently I've started to have constipation. I started the Bulletproof diet weighing 131lb. My goal weight is 127lb but I've gained weight, now I'm 135lb for the past 2 weeks but i follow the Bulletproof diet. Please help, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

What are you doing, more precisely, what have you changed?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• edited June 2015
    Since starting the bulletproof diet I started only eating carbs after practice or at night, I have the coffee in the morning, I made 65%-75% of my diet everyday is healthy fats, I eat more eggs, I don't snack, at most in a day I have 40 grams of sugar, I have very small amount of fructose. I recently started taking Collagen, my vitamin and mineral supplementation has increased and I get lots of sleep but I practice 6 days a week for 4 hours in the main practices and two of the days of the week, Tuesday's and Thursday's, I have a mini practice for 2 hours 3 hours before that days main practice. And I get at least 38g of fiber per day, my water intake is ridiculously high
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

With training that much you could use more carbs instead of part of the fats. You train a LOT! Macro levels should be adjusted to that. BP is not for athletic performance, those macros are designed for other purposes and for sedentary people. Check out the pinned thread in this athletic section for example.

I did a similar approach with cyclical keto plus workouts (much less than your workouts) and ended up with my metabolism terribly slowed down and therefore gaining. For training you need much more than just fats. Switch up the macros, cut the fat and add carbs (most of them around your trainings) and probably protein too, and see how you feel and perform.

• Too many kcal. I did this too when I took too many fats when I started bulletproof. 

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Too many kcal. I did this too when I took too many fats when I started bulletproof. 

Are you joking? Do you train 4-7 hours a day, 6 days a week, like the OP does?

• edited June 2015
    Could someone please give me a Macronutrient BP athletic plan.

I practice from 2-6 normally and on Friday and Saturday 9-1 and no practice on Sunday. But Tuesday and Thursday I also workout in the morning from 10-12 Please Help :)

• Could someone please give me a Macronutrient BP athletic plan.

I practice from 2-6 normally and on Friday and Saturday 9-1 and no practice on Sunday. But Tuesday and Thursday I also workout in the morning from 10-12 Please Help :)

Two questions:

- Why did you switch to BP diet 2mths ago?

- Given that you train at a competitive level (based on the hours per week), do you not have a local team/coach that can help guide you through the weekly demands of your sport?

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Could someone please give me a Macronutrient BP athletic plan.

See the "Bulletproof the Athlete" pinned thread at the top of the Athletic Performance forum (this one) for a good place to start.

Essentially you can get a lot of the gut health, low antiutrient, and healthy fat benefits of bulletproof while eating for athletic performance, mainly by adding carbs to the basic plan, centered around your workouts. Essentially you're still choosing BP food items, but eating more, and at different ratios for athletic performance. General energy intake requirements still apply when you eat BP. 

Also, a loose, very much working theory of mine... ketosis and MCT in general inhibits ghrelin, a hunger hormone, as described by Dave here. When I eat low carb and according to hunger, I tend to eat far fewer calories than I need, to the point that I don't lose weight due to lowered metabolism. It seems like this has happened to some others on the forum as well. So my working theory is that for some people ketosis (or perhaps just ketones from MCT) lower hunger more than is desirable. For an athlete, I don't think the general bulletproof concept that you don't need to count calories on the diet applies. I'd take a look at the calories in your diet over the last couple weeks, and compare it to your estimated caloric needs. If it's much lower, that could be your problem. 

• Perfect Health Diet is my suggestion. Eat carbs everyday. Morning water or coffee only fast every other day. Your fat intake a little high

• Two questions:

- Why did you switch to BP diet 2mths ago?

- Given that you train at a competitive level (based on the hours per week), do you not have a local team/coach that can help guide you through the weekly demands of your sport?

Nope, just my sister and I are bulletproof in my family and my mom and dad/coach always complain about money, so i can only afford bulletproof coffee and XCT Oil. I don't really have time to work either. I've been to a nutritionist before and whatever he told me was total crap and even i could see through it only being  16 years old. The only person i have to help me with my diet is my older sister but she is never home and she tells me i have to experiment with what works by myself even though thats what I've been doing this whole time.

• Nope, just my sister and I are bulletproof in my family and my mom and dad/coach always complain about money, so i can only afford bulletproof coffee and XCT Oil. I don't really have time to work either. I've been to a nutritionist before and whatever he told me was total crap and even i could see through it only being  16 years old. The only person i have to help me with my diet is my older sister but she is never home and she tells me i have to experiment with what works by myself even though thats what I've been doing this whole time.

This is a multi-part answer. I don't have a lot of free time but I'll do my best to cover a lot of ground quickly. Some of it you might not like...

- Understand that nobody, and I mean NOBODY on this forum can give you precise/specific detailed information regarding nutrition for your unique situation. Nobody has enough information about you. I can see an image of a gymnast in mid-air next to a US flag as your avatar, but that doesn't mean anything, you could be a 12yr old female, or a 27yr old male. So more information from you would be helpful. Please be cautious of rapidly provided online advice from someone who knows nothing about you.

- Understand that the Bulletproof approach is just a concept. It was primarily designed by a non-athlete for non-athletes. Since the Bulletproof forums were launched they have been populated with information from forum members. You will rarely, if ever, seen any form of opinion provided by 'the Bulletproof team'. So understand that because the forum is open to postings from an extremely broad range of opinions, some of it is good and some of it not so good. 

- The smallest posting demographic by a significant margin (based on thousands of observed posts) is the demographic you fit into, competitive athletes looking to improve their athletic performance. The important distinction here is that you are a competitive athlete (based on the assumption of your training hours per week) vs. a large portion of the posters on the Bulletproof forum which is made of either non-active, occasionally active or want to be more active individuals - all of those demographics are considerably different than a competitive athlete (even more so based on your training volume). There's usually a noticeable disconnect between the theoretical opinions you will get on these forums vs. experienced observations from existing competitive athletes. As such, be selective on the information you absorb on these forums as very little of it is designed for your training needs.

- Because the Bulletproof concept was designed around non-athletes the concept isn't optimized for athletes. 

- If you are training 20+hrs per week, and assuming it's a mix of aerobic, anaerobic, mobility, flexibility, strength to weight ratio, explosiveness, etc, I think you would be well served by exploring a mentorship with a competitive team Coach who has a record of notable podium coaching achievements. Someone who understands the nutritional needs of a competitive gymnastics program, rather than trying to cobble together some random and impersonal Internet advice. There are lots of good people here on the forums, but it's unlikely there are more than a dozen who are currently competing in high-level gymnastics. It's always a good idea to see what the Pro's are doing and then determine if it can work for you. Try contacting several nearby 'Pro Level' organizations/teams and try to form a relationship with their gymnastics coaching staff. A polite introductory email to several organizations might help you form a relationship that could turn into more than just macro-ratio advice.

Sorry, that's all the time I have.

If anyone thinks I'm way off base feel free to comment and I'll eventually get around to a quick response.

• edited June 2015
    This seems like a good plan for me. I don't know my exact body fat percentage so I guessed a little higher than it probably is.

Step 1: 135lb Body Weight

Step 2: 18lb Body Fat

Step 3: 117lb Lean Body Mass

Step 4: 1.1

Step 5: 117lb x 1.1 = 129

Step 6: 129 / 7 = 18

18 protein, 18 carb, 18 fat

Regular Practice Day (Keto Cycling)

18 x 7 = 126g protein

18 x 9 = (X-Unwanted Carbs) = 80g carb

18 x 1.5 = (X+4 for every Unwanted Carb) = 355g fat

Refeed Day Minimum 150g Carb

Post Main Workout Minimum Nutritional Needs

21g Protein

42g Carb

X g Fat
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭

With your training volume, the above plan is like a recipe for crashing, sorry. I don't know you and your body's requirements, but for 99% of people who train even an hour per day, this is too much fat and too little carbs and protein. The 150 g refeed is the minimum for inactive people. With your activity levels it should be the minimum for every day. I also think that fat intake is insane. :-D But you may get away with it if you have a high metabolism. Some people here eat insane amounts of fat without gaining, but others aren't that lucky.

How did you eat before going BP? Also macro wise. How was your performance and wellbeing? How do others in your sport eat and how does it affect them?

Unless you have a special reason to do keto cycling I suggest you don't do it.

But the best would be to really monitor your performance and check what other gymnasts are doing.

Best of luck! :-)

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Regular Practice Day (Keto Cycling)

18 x 7 = 126g protein

18 x 9 = (X-Unwanted Carbs) = 80g carb

18 x 1.5 = (X+4 for every Unwanted Carb) = 355g fat

Refeed Day Minimum 150g Carb

I'd probably increase the refeed minimum. I'd also make sure this is temporary cut, not a long-term plan. I have to think over the long term you'll need more daily carbs. 

Since you're in charge of your own nutrition, keep a log. Not just what you ate, but rate how good your workouts are, how you feel after, how you feel waking up, etc. 1-5, 1-10 ratings, whatever, just try to quantify as much as you can so you can make changes and see results beyond just weight. 

BTW at first glance I thought your plan (just over 4000 calories) might actually be low for your activity, but then there's your fairly low body weight... and I'm no expert here. Something I took a look at, and that might be of value to you, is this in-depth look at GSP's (former UFC champion) exercise and diet. 

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/01/27/eating-with-ufc-champion-georges-st-pierre-the-diet-he-used-to-transform-himself-2/

Keep in mind the video at the top is designed as pre-fight promotional commercial, so it may not be accurate, and it may not reflect everyday training volume, since it is a pre-fight camp (generally around 8 weeks) and may not be sustainable. But he's known for training a lot, and at least in the video does 3 workouts in the day, starting with a gymnastics workout, then strength/conditioning, then actual fight training. He's much bigger than you, and eating 3,200-3,500 calories daily, but again that's in a likely-not-sustainable 8 week cut. But perhaps you can look at what he's doing, factor in differences in training, body weight, and long-term sustainability, and at least have a starting point from which to experiment. Then the logging I described above becomes more valuable.