Coffee Grinder Reccomendations

Hi,

Since I plan to brew my coffee often, I plan to grind it. In general I already drink quite a lot of coffee, now I want to try to also implement bulletproof one. I had a blade grinder in the past but I figured that even coffee in Starbucks was better. So for a while I thought, what is the point of grinding coffee at home, if you have it better in every shop. After I replaced my coffee machine for the better one, there was actually no improvement in quality of coffee. Last week my friend who knows few things about coffee said to me that coffee might be bad because of my grinder. Although I did not believe him at start, I then checked on internet and found out that that was probably the case! So I will give it another try. So far I have reviewed few products, I will probably have a grinder for 150-250$. On a site I use to get my resources (http://www.coffeegrinderworld.com/) they say that definately blade grinder should be thrown away and I should look for grinders with many step adjustments. Also loudness is important.

I think my best choices are therefore:

Ascaso I-2

Baratza Virtuoso

Gagia MDF.

Now I have a question for you fellow bulletproof coffee baristas! What kind of grinder do you think is best for bulletproof coffee? I mean on a site I gave it writes clearly, that grind will determine the taste of your coffee even more than machine. So what kind of grind am I targetting?

Tagged:

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Now I have a question for you fellow bulletproof coffee baristas! What kind of grinder do you think is best for bulletproof coffee? I mean on a site I gave it writes clearly, that grind will determine the taste of your coffee even more than machine. So what kind of grind am I targetting?

The grind and extraction method (type of coffee machine, essentially) is what determines whether or not you get the full flavor from your beans. But the bean type still determines flavor. Upgraded beans taste good, but they are far from the most flavorful option, so if you've been getting those and don't like the flavor, an expensive grinder won't do much. 

That said, I do favor a good adjustable burr grinder (not blade) and I've had a Gaggia MDF for years and been very happy with it. 

The reason a burr grinder is better than a blade grinder is because it allows for more precise control over the grind coarseness. With a blade grinder, you just chop more to get smaller granules of coffee bean, but if you look at it with some magnification there will still be a great degree of size variation between granules. With a burr grinder, all the granules end up a very similar size. 

The reason this matters is because almost all coffee brewing (extraction) involves forcing hot water through ground beans. Sometimes the force is simply gravity (pour-over, drip coffee) sometimes it's manual (the plunger on a french press) and sometimes it's steam pressure (espresso.) If you extract too little, you don't get the right flavor or enough caffeine. If you extract too much, you get some nastier flavors. So you want to force the right amount of water through at the right speed. When you have evenly sized granules, the water passes through all your grounds at similar rate. When you have unevenly sized granules, the water takes the path of least resistance, passing through gaps surrounding the larger granules first. So you'll get an over-extraction near the bigger granules, and an under-extraction surrounding the smaller, more tightly packed granules. 

You still need to choose the right coarseness of grind for your brewing method, though: french press is quite coarse, drip coffee is medium, and espresso is quite fine. 

If you nail the grind with a burr grinder and perform whatever extraction method you're using properly, you can definitely make coffee at home that's considerably better than most Starbucks options. 

• - Dan
    ★彡On the path of optimal health...... B)
    ★"Keeping it real"★
    Love to learn, study and apply Nutrition, Health and Athleticism for a Superhuman Life.

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

Welcome to the incredibly expensive world of finding the perfect coffee setup. You will never be satisfied! Muahahaha!

You can always check out the interviews from the World Coffee Championships and see what everyone is using though:

http://www.worldbrewerscup.org/competitors/

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

Oh, and everyone always forgets to mention this: Clean and dry your grinder meticulously. Otherwise you will be tasting last week's coffee oils, contaminating your fresh beans, disappointing the gods, and probably murdering some walruses. In fact, clean everything that touches your coffee meticulously. It will make a difference in your flavor. Cheers!

• Even the Mr Coffee burr grinder is heads and tails better than a blade grinder. I got mine at Target for less than $40. 

• Andy BoskampAndy Boskamp Andy Boskamp

I am happy with my purchase of the Breville Smart Grinder. Got it for a nice discount through Amazon warehouse deals too.

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

• If you know what your doing a blade grinder works just fine. 

I have nothing really to add except if you can afford a really nice burr grinder and your into coffee look into roastin your own coffee....

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• Thanks for answers. About blade, I would not trust it is good as well since almost all sources say the opposite

• staylorstaylor
    edited June 2015

The simple answers is... save your blade grinder for spices or something else. They aren't the right tool for quality coffee. 

As far as grinders in your budget, the Baratza is a good choice (I have two Baratza Vario's sitting on my kitchen counter). My experience with Baratza is that they are a good company that stands behind their product, in case you have any warranty issues. The coffee friends that I have recommended the Baratza Viruoso to are very happy with the pricepoint/value ratio. 

As for roasting your own coffee... I strongly recommend exploring the possibility. I've been roasting my own coffee for about a decade, I roast on a San Franciscan SF-1, prior to that I was on a Hottop, etc. I chase excellent coffees, I'm only interested in high scoring (SCAA point system) greens and will grab them from all over the world. My green bean stash typically has 15 - 20 different Single Origin bags in it. I'm a hobbyist roaster and I bring in the greens that look interesting to me, I mostly sell to local friends who bug, bug, bug for fresh world-class coffee. I enjoying chasing great coffees, they enjoy drinking great coffees. I only sell 30 - 50lbs per month and wouldn't want to roast more than that or it would take the fun out of the hobby. If you aren't keen to start roasting your own, try to find a nearby small craft-roaster who focuses on excellence, fresh roasted high scoring beans are truly a pleasure.

• I have a Mazzer Mini, and it's amazing. It's also very expensive. I would not recommend it unless you are planning to make espresso using a real espresso machine (9 bar, like in a cafe), in which case I highly recommend it. For simple pour-over, something much cheaper will do, though of course I echo everyone else in saying you need a conical burr grinder, and should not consider a blade grinder.